The Student Room Group

What Scottish Universities do Investment Banks target?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScotBank16
I'm from Scotland and I am interested in investment banking. If I go to a Scottish University, I do not need to pay tuition fees. I know that investment banks care about which university you go to so I would like to know which Scottish universities they recruit from?

Hi Scotbank16,

Heriot-Watt University has particularly close links to the finance community, with the deputy managing director of the Royal Bank of Scotland leaving his post to become a professor in International Banking here at Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh campus.

Previous graduates from Heriot-Watt have gone on to become bankers, stockbrokers, tax consultants and financial advisors with corporations across the globe.

A full list of the courses offered at Heriot-Watt is listed in the link below:

https://search.hw.ac.uk/s/search.html?collection=courses

Hope I helped.

Shaima :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Hi Scotbank16,

Heriot-Watt University has particularly close links to the finance community, with the deputy managing director of the Royal Bank of Scotland leaving his post to become a professor in International Banking here at Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh campus.

Previous graduates from Heriot-Watt have gone on to become bankers, stockbrokers, tax consultants and financial advisors with corporations across the globe.

Hope I helped.

Nah, it's pretty much impossible to get an investment banking role from Heriot watt.
Original post by e^iπ
Nah, it's pretty much impossible to get an investment banking role from Heriot watt.

not true, have seen it done a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Princepieman
not true, have seen it done a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really, front office from Heriot watt? I find that hard to believe
Original post by e^iπ

i mean, people from manchester met, dmu, london south bank etc have got into FO too. it's just a very rare thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e^iπ

Hi there,

I thought I'd jump in just to clear a few things up... hope you don't mind :smile:

Heriot-Watt was the first UK university to introduce Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Financial Mathematics and the only university in Scotland to offer an undergraduate in Actuarial Science. We are recognised as a Center of Actuarial Excellence by the Society of Actuaries (SOA), North America. We are the only Center of Actuarial Excellence in Europe and one of only 30 other institutions worldwide with this designation!

As you can imagine this puts us in the forefront of the financial industries, with many of our students going on to work for international companies including Prudential, Deloitte, PwC, Ballie Gifford, HSBC and many more. This is just as a small example but our recent alumni have job titles including, Investment Operations, Actuarial Analyst and Revenues Adviser.

Investment Banking and Financial Services is a very competitive industry, my advice to everyone who is interested in this area is to try and get some work experience (even if it is just shadowing someone in the industry), I am sure you will come across many people in the Watt Club which is our alumni organisation (another great network were you can make connections that will be useful in your working life).

Hope this has helped if you do have any other questions, I'd be happy to help, just @ me or head over to our forum and ask your questions there :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi there,

I thought I'd jump in just to clear a few things up... hope you don't mind :smile:

Heriot-Watt was the first UK university to introduce Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Financial Mathematics and the only university in Scotland to offer an undergraduate in Actuarial Science. We are recognised as a Center of Actuarial Excellence by the Society of Actuaries (SOA), North America. We are the only Center of Actuarial Excellence in Europe and one of only 30 other institutions worldwide with this designation!

As you can imagine this puts us in the forefront of the financial industries, with many of our students going on to work for international companies including Prudential, Deloitte, PwC, Ballie Gifford, HSBC and many more. This is just as a small example but our recent alumni have job titles including, Investment Operations, Actuarial Analyst and Revenues Adviser.

Investment Banking and Financial Services is a very competitive industry, my advice to everyone who is interested in this area is to try and get some work experience (even if it is just shadowing someone in the industry), I am sure you will come across many people in the Watt Club which is our alumni organisation (another great network were you can make connections that will be useful in your working life).

Hope this has helped if you do have any other questions, I'd be happy to help, just @ me or head over to our forum and ask your questions there :smile:

Cheers,
Keir

I appreciate the effort in this reply but it's not really relevant to the discussion tbh - the whole first paragraph about the university's actuarial department is irrelevant to investment banking.

the second paragraph is also not necessary as it's just pointing out obvious information that is also not relevant to this discussion.

how you could help is point out specific examples of alumni working in the investment banking, sales and trading, asset management businesses in core (non-support) roles - that is what the readership of this forum are mostly interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
I appreciate the effort in this reply but it's not really relevant to the discussion tbh - the whole first paragraph about the university's actuarial department is irrelevant to investment banking.

the second paragraph is also not necessary as it's just pointing out obvious information that is also not relevant to this discussion.

how you could help is point out specific examples of alumni working in the investment banking, sales and trading, asset management businesses in core (non-support) roles - that is what the readership of this forum are mostly interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair I was looking to point out that we have many students going into financial services jobs, our departments are well known worldwide and I presumed that with our subject areas and our sound grounding as an established institution within finance it would be clear that we have many students working in the industry.

If you are looking for more current investments within this area please see our news stories below.

https://www.hw.ac.uk/schools/social-sciences/news/bloomberg-trading-room-opening-september-2018.htm

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Hi Scotbank16,

Hope I helped.

I have a friend studying at Heriot-Watt who wants to get into IB and he’s complained to me before that Investment Banks have pretty much no presence at all there.

I’m aware you work for the university, but it’s a bit disingenuous to say to potential applicants that investment banks target HW to the extent that they would target Edinburgh or St Andrews.
From what I know (including experience of IB working/interning friends), investment banking is very very competitive. In terms of IB presence in Scotland, there is no on-site FO recruitment in Scotland. However, I have three friends who have just started at Morgan Stanley and Citi (front office). Two went to St Andrews and the other was at Strathclyde. It's important to mention though that all 3 achieved a first in their undergrads. Unsure about Heriot-Watt for IB but I'm pretty sure both Edinburgh and Glasgow have solid business schools.

I remember one of my friends saying after his internship at Morgan Stanley last year that around 6 or 7/40 of those accepted were not from 'target' universities. The bulk was made up of Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick.

To kind of conclude:
Scottish targets = none
Scottish 'semi-semi-targets' = St Andrews (most promising), Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow.

Just try and get a first in your degree to stand out and make sure you join a relevant society + extracurricular activity.

Another option would be to go on an exchange year/semester abroad to an IB targeted university (if able).
Original post by Student8999
From what I know (including experience of IB working/interning friends), investment banking is very very competitive. In terms of IB presence in Scotland, there is no on-site FO recruitment in Scotland. However, I have three friends who have just started at Morgan Stanley and Citi (front office). Two went to St Andrews and the other was at Strathclyde. It's important to mention though that all 3 achieved a first in their undergrads. Unsure about Heriot-Watt for IB but I'm pretty sure both Edinburgh and Glasgow have solid business schools.

I remember one of my friends saying after his internship at Morgan Stanley last year that around 6 or 7/40 of those accepted were not from 'target' universities. The bulk was made up of Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick.

To kind of conclude:
Scottish targets = none
Scottish 'semi-semi-targets' = St Andrews (most promising), Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow.

Just try and get a first in your degree to stand out and make sure you join a relevant society + extracurricular activity.

Another option would be to go on an exchange year/semester abroad to an IB targeted university (if able).

those aren't semi-targets
Strathy is. I've seem MS and JP do events there this year plus the usual RBS Barclays etc even black rock. Strathy is also high on big 4 too. Its not q target but I foresee it being a semi soon if it isn't already.
Original post by username738914
This is false.

Top targets:
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial (UCL and Warwick are completely dominating the IB job market right now)

Semi-targets (banks visit, still a stream of talent into IB every year):

Durham, Bristol, Notts, Edinburgh, St Andrews

(Gap)

KCL, Cass, Manchester, Birmingham, Bath

Then it becomes increasingly difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi not sure if this page is still being used but trying to choose between Edinburgh and Bristol to study economics. If anyone could help with any info on if one is better than the other? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending