The Student Room Group

Changes in GCSEs

Will the changes in GCSES Affect current year 10's entering year 11 in September 2015? Or it will it affect current year 9's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mr...
It affects the Y9s so you're fine. You would've been told about it last year if it affected you:redface:
You are affected by the new A-Levels though.

I know Im actually fuming 😭, because we will be the first to experiment the new Alevel spec,no practise papers,no marks schemes so we won't even know what to expect.How on Earth is that fair
Reply 2
Original post by Mr...
Actually the current Y11s are and to my knowledge all that's changing is that there are no AS exams:erm:

oh,okay that's slightly better lol.One exam paper,examiner's report and mark scheme we can look at.So how will universities know our predictions if we dont have AS? does that mean that we jump start straight to complex a levels from just coming out of GCSEs? and will we still be able to drop an Alevel subject if we wish or are we obliged to carry it out all to the end since there are no AS?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr...
The content doesn't change so you can look at all of them :redface:
Some schools will still encourage you to sit the AS exams for your uni app but the grade just shows you where you are. It doesn't count towards your final grade like it used to. Universities will probably put more weight on GCSEs too.
You can drop a subject but won't have a qualification in it as there is no AS qualification anymore as you'd have to do the full two years. It's like GCSEs

oh okay,thanks! but i'm a bit baffled.If the content doesn't change,then why is the spec changing?
Do you personally think there is any point sitting AS exams?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr...
The spec only changes for some subjects I think and you can still use old past papers and stuff because it basically the same stuff:yep:
I do because it shows progress and top universities encourage hopeful applicants to take them. I definitely will when I get there.

What are the main differences between Alevels & AS levels,is it just the subject being broken down further into easier and then gradual harder sections?
sorry for all the questions,just really intrigued
Reply 5
When i went for my college interview to start year 12, i asked them if i could just do AS Maths and he said the spec doesnt change until 2017 so i believe in some subjects or colleges AS levels still apply and you can still drop it.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr...

You can drop a subject but won't have a qualification in it as there is no AS qualification anymore as you'd have to do the full two years. It's like GCSEs

As somebody about to go into Year 12 I can say that's not true. The AS Level is now a stand alone qualification. If you sit the AS exam, you will get a qualification in it. It just won't count toward the final A-Level grade.
Reply 7
Original post by celloel
As somebody about to go into Year 12 I can say that's not true. The AS Level is now a stand alone qualification. If you sit the AS exam, you will get a qualification in it. It just won't count toward the final A-Level grade.

but can you still drop a subject?
Reply 8
Ok, to clear this all up:
The new GCSEs won't affect you, the new A-Level will. The actual course content in the A-Level, for the most part, is not changing. You can still use past papers (I definitely will be). The AS is a standalone, meaning you will get a separate qualification in the subject if you sit the AS examination even if you take the A-Level examination. The AS grade will not count toward the A-Level grade.
E.g:
I am taking AS Level ICT, Sociology, English Language and English Literature from 2015-2016. I sit AS exams in June 2016 in all of these (you may or may not sit AS exams, depending on your school/college. It is more likely that you will sit them). I get AS qualifications in each subject. I then move on to do A-Levels in either three or four subjects. I sit these exams in June 2017 and gain A-Level qualifications in each subject. I would then, providing I passed all of the subjects, have qualifications in:
AS Sociology, AS ICT, AS English Language & AS English Literature. A-Level Sociology, ICT, English Language & English Literature.
Reply 9
Original post by Real_jenn
but can you still drop a subject?

Yes, if you want to you can take four AS-Levels and then three A-Levels. Providing you took AS examinations, you would have four qualifications in AS anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by celloel
The new GCSEs won't affect you, the new A-Level will. The actual course content in the A-Level, for the most part, is not changing. You can still use past papers (I definitely will be). The AS is a standalone, meaning you will get a separate qualification in the subject if you sit the AS examination even if you take the A-Level examination. The AS grade will not count toward the A-Level grade.
E.g:
I am taking AS Level ICT, Sociology, English Language and English Literature from 2015-2016. I sit AS exams in June 2016 in all of these (you may or may not sit AS exams, depending on your school/college. It is more likely that you will sit them). I get AS qualifications in each subject. I then move on to do A-Levels in either three or four subjects. I sit these exams in June 2017 and gain A-Level qualifications in each subject. I would then, providing I passed all of the subjects, have qualifications in:
AS Sociology, AS ICT, AS English Language & AS English Literature. A-Level Sociology, ICT, English Language & English Literature.

oh okay thank you! very informative! if your school doesn't provide AS any longer,do you have to pay and sit the exam externally or...?
Reply 11
Original post by celloel
Yes, if you want to you can take four AS-Levels and then three A-Levels. Providing you took AS examinations, you would have four qualifications in AS anyway.

okayy thank you ever so much!
oh okay thank you! very informative! if your school doesn't provide AS any longer,do you have to pay and sit the exam externally or...?

You don't have to sit the AS exam - it isn't necessary to gain the A-Level qualification anymore. It is, however, beneficial to do so as if you were to drop the subject at the end of AS year you would have a qualification (it's also good for University applications or just to have an extra qualification). When I was applying to Colleges I found that every single one was continuing to do the AS-Level exam in every subject anyway.
okayy thank you ever so much!

You're welcome!
Original post by celloel
E.g:

I finally understand, thank you!
But is there really any point in doing AS then?
Original post by Mr...
Actually the current Y11s are and to my knowledge all that's changing is that there are no AS exams:erm:

There are still AS exams. You do AS for all subjects and then if you continue the subject into yr 13 the AS will not count but if you don't it will (This is for linear subjects e.g bio, chem). The AS grade for modular subject e.g maths carries towards your final grade.
Original post by Nadine_08
I finally understand, thank you!
But is there really any point in doing AS then?

Yes, I believe so (as do many Universities). It will highlight your weak areas, be incredibly useful in University applications, allow you to drop a subject without having 'wasted' a year (you'd have a qualification out of it) and you'd get three or four extra qualifications. It'll also prove to be invaluable practice for A-Level exams (but do take them seriously, not just as 'mocks' for the A-Levels).
Original post by Mr...
AS is the 1st year qualification
A2 is the 1st + 2nd year qualification
But there will be no AS and just A2.

No problem, ask away!:smile:

There is still AS for modular subjects. There is A2 but its not called A2 its just called A level now because AS is gone (linear subjects)
Original post by 4nonymous
The AS grade for modular subject e.g maths carries towards your final grade.

That's only at the moment as the new A-Level Maths isn't being taught until either 2016 or 2017, along with a few other subjects.
Original post by 4nonymous
There is still AS for modular subjects. There is A2 but its not called A2 its just called A level now because AS is gone (linear subjects)

Stop confusing people and actually read up on what you're talking about. AS hasn't gone for linear subjects. It's still there, it's a standalone qualification. All subjects will be linear soon, there are only a few that won't be beginning the new A-Level this September. The rest will be soon.

Quick Reply

Latest