The Student Room Group

Really lonely after finishing uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justag
I'd unfollow people for now or stop using social media so much in your situation, it's not helping your mood.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh i've uninstalled Snapchat and Facebook from my phone. Would deactivate it but I need to keep the Messenger app for emergencies.

Original post by bex1995

A part time job sounds like a very good way of meeting new people. And seriously don't worry you are not running out of time!! I think around the 23-25 years old time is when lots of people have a quarter life crisis (i know, i'm guilty of it too!). But I know deep down I do have my whole life ahead of me, and so do you. I don't know which 24 year olds you know, but the majority of the ones I know are still in house shares and not settled down with a morgage. In any case, being settled down with a morgage isn't necessarily the best thing in the world either!

My part time job whilst I was at uni was great, got along with everyone and had loads of friends. It's completely different where I am now unfortunately, came back on Monday and nobody asked how my holiday was or anything.

Whilst deep down i'd love a relationship i've accepted it'll never happen. There's far too much wrong with me and to be honest, in my current state of mind i'm not sure if its the best thing for me. I know if I met someone i'd get super clingy, plus when I think of most girls I know they just hang around with the guys friends which I won't be able to offer.
Reply 41
Original post by sr90
Yeh i've uninstalled Snapchat and Facebook from my phone. Would deactivate it but I need to keep the Messenger app for emergencies.

My part time job whilst I was at uni was great, got along with everyone and had loads of friends. It's completely different where I am now unfortunately, came back on Monday and nobody asked how my holiday was or anything.

Whilst deep down i'd love a relationship i've accepted it'll never happen. There's far too much wrong with me and to be honest, in my current state of mind i'm not sure if its the best thing for me. I know if I met someone i'd get super clingy, plus when I think of most girls I know they just hang around with the guys friends which I won't be able to offer.

There is someone for everybody, I am sure that you will find a girlfriend. It will happen when you least expect it to. Well I think that this is a great idea, that you should start looking fro some part time weekend work. When applying for jobs keep in mind that you are really doing this for some more social contacts and therefore don't worry about the pay as much as what you will actually be doing and opportunities to make friend (you already have a full-time job for your main income although im sure the extra money won't go a miss!)
Original post by sr90
I finished my degree last year, however a lot of my friends were doing Masters/4th years so uni life carried on for another year. Now everyone has moved on and i'm completely alone. I have my own flat and it's just so lonely.

Nobody from uni has bothered to keep in touch aside from my best friend, who i've been talking to pretty much 24/7 because she's the only thing that cheers me up and she's really struggling too. I hate being this clingy and dependent on her. I went on holiday with her and her boyfriend and when I left I couldn't stop crying for like 4 days afterwards cos I was so upset about having to go home.

She doesn't really have any friends where she lives either but at least she has her partner to be with constantly, i'd give anything to have someone like that in my life but that's never going to happen. It really sucks seeing everyone I know all loved up whilst i'll end up starring in a sequel to the 40 year old virgin.

I have a good job in the Financial sector which pays well but there isn't really any scope for making friends there and outside of that I don't do anything. I'm on annual leave at the moment and haven't spoken to or seen another person since I got back from holiday... 10 days ago! I've been so upset i've just lost motivation to even do basic things like shower, shave or eat regularly.

All I want is just to meet a few more people but I just can't see how anything will ever change. I know that there are a lot of graduates in a worse position than me but i'm struggling to find anything to be positive about at the moment... :frown:

I've moved city like 3 or 4 times, and you have to make the effort to make a new group of friends. There is no point moping around, you just need to get out there and get on with it.

Personally I always join a couple of very active sports clubs, and make friends that way. Have you tried that?
Original post by sr90
I finished my degree last year, however a lot of my friends were doing Masters/4th years so uni life carried on for another year. Now everyone has moved on and i'm completely alone. I have my own flat and it's just so lonely.

Nobody from uni has bothered to keep in touch aside from my best friend, who i've been talking to pretty much 24/7 because she's the only thing that cheers me up and she's really struggling too. I hate being this clingy and dependent on her. I went on holiday with her and her boyfriend and when I left I couldn't stop crying for like 4 days afterwards cos I was so upset about having to go home.

She doesn't really have any friends where she lives either but at least she has her partner to be with constantly, i'd give anything to have someone like that in my life but that's never going to happen. It really sucks seeing everyone I know all loved up whilst i'll end up starring in a sequel to the 40 year old virgin.

I have a good job in the Financial sector which pays well but there isn't really any scope for making friends there and outside of that I don't do anything. I'm on annual leave at the moment and haven't spoken to or seen another person since I got back from holiday... 10 days ago! I've been so upset i've just lost motivation to even do basic things like shower, shave or eat regularly.

All I want is just to meet a few more people but I just can't see how anything will ever change. I know that there are a lot of graduates in a worse position than me but i'm struggling to find anything to be positive about at the moment... :frown:

try meetup.com - it's a app for making friends in your area and those with similar hobbies. There's loads of meetings and I have gone to quite a few, and enjoy meeting new people, exchanging numbers and meeting later. One of my good friends is someone who I met using this app. Try it! It's not the "online dating" type of app where you talk to someone online, it's literally just an app to arrange meetings, and you just show up! Most people show up on their own and make friends - because that's the whole point. Give it a go!
Reply 44
Original post by sr90

You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself. You can't just accept something will never happen when you really don't know. You're still young, anything can happen. I'm also guessing you're being hard on yourself by saying there's too much wrong with you, when in reality there probably isn't.

As for the friends, it's a two way thing when it comes to keeping in touch, if they didn't try then forget them. Join clubs, get yourself out there, a part time job on the weekend seems like a good idea. I do think it gets harder to make friends after uni, but even people online can eventually become amazing friends.

Plus if you ever feel super lonely, I'm sure the football lot will be there for you if you ever needed a chat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
have a listen to 100 by game ft drake

drake spits some real ish

Had ****** tell me to my face how we were family
And how they love me while they was skimmin' off the budget
Now, when I see 'em, they the ones that's actin' funny
People been reachin' out to me
And I'm on some straight unresponsive ****
I would have so many friends
If I didn't have money, respect and accomplishments
I would have so many friends
If I held back the truth and I just gave out compliments
I would have all of your fans if I didn't go pop
And I stayed on some conscious ****
I would have so many more friends
If I lost my success and my confidence
I'm in the club every time that they play the competition
If they even play the competition and I seen the response they get
Nobody's even hearin' it on top of the pyramid
Might go to Jamaica, disappear again
My circle got so small that it's a period, sayin' to myself
(edited 8 years ago)
Even the 1 friend I thought I had just doesn't seem to care anymore. I'm always a stop gap until someone better comes along.

Original post by At.8
You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself. You can't just accept something will never happen when you really don't know. You're still young, anything can happen. I'm also guessing you're being hard on yourself by saying there's too much wrong with you, when in reality there probably isn't.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly can't think of a single positive thing I have to offer anyone, which probably explains why every friend i've ever had always ends up cutting me out of their life and nobody else is really interested. Started with a big group of fellow grads at work, tried my best to make friends but now they all get along well whilst i'm just the weird guy who eats lunch alone and cries at his desk.
Reply 47
Original post by sr90
Even the 1 friend I thought I had just doesn't seem to care anymore. I'm always a stop gap until someone better comes along.

I honestly can't think of a single positive thing I have to offer anyone, which probably explains why every friend i've ever had always ends up cutting me out of their life and nobody else is really interested. Started with a big group of fellow grads at work, tried my best to make friends but now they all get along well whilst i'm just the weird guy who eats lunch alone and cries at his desk.

Bless you, I'll be your friend :biggrin: we can talk about how Man U aren't as good as you think. For real though, I'm sure you have loads to offer someone, people tend to be a harsh critic of themselves.

Aww don't cry, you seem like a lovely person, it's their loss anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thing is they've been the only person who I can properly talk to and rely on for years, if I lost them i'd just fall apart completely.
Reply 49
Original post by sr90
Thing is they've been the only person who I can properly talk to and rely on for years, if I lost them i'd just fall apart completely.

You haven't lost them, they may just be busy with things. I'm sure your friend will always be there for you whenever you need them, try not to think about it too much. Definitely get yourself out there if you want to make more friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate you can't just retreat to TSR and feel sorry for yourself. I know it's difficult and I've been in a similar position to you. But there have been good responses on this thread about how to get your life together and you need to follow them. It isn't bull****, it's good advice. Meetup.com, sports clubs, get yourself into shape. Your life is in your hands.
Original post by jemlou9090
Hey. Sorry to hear that :frown: Have you ever heard of meetup.com? There are a couple of similar ones around too i believe. It's a great way to meet people that have the same interests as you. I've used it to find sport/exercise groups - we meet up informally and play netball or whatever, but there's soooo much on there, definitely not all sporty. Equally if you can't find anything that suits you, you can always start a group. Might be a good start?

Glad to see I'm not the only one recommending this site around here! It brought me to some amazing people and relationships the past year, and I, too, recommend it with a double thumb's up.
sr do you not play football? Join a team man, you have a serious hobby can't you go to matches or anything? £2 ticket down the local non league team if you can't afford PL.

Feel free to PM any time anyway mate.
Original post by Wilfred Little
sr do you not play football? Join a team man, you have a serious hobby can't you go to matches or anything? £2 ticket down the local non league team if you can't afford PL.

Feel free to PM any time anyway mate.

I miss going to games so much, only reason I don't anymore is that the people I went with emigrated and its £90 return on the train :colonhash: I do go to a lot of random games but it's not the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
I miss going to games so much, only reason I don't anymore is that the people I went with emigrated and its £90 return on the train :colonhash: I do go to a lot of random games but it's not the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you keep ignoring all of the helpful advice.

If you play football, join a football team, you will soon have friends. Once you have friends, you will have people to go out with and finding a girlfriend will be easier.

If you are deliberately ignoring this sound advice, I can only conclude that you don't actually want friends and a girlfriend after all.

Which makes me question why you started this thread.
Original post by cole-slaw
Why do you keep ignoring all of the helpful advice.

If you play football, join a football team, you will soon have friends. Once you have friends, you will have people to go out with and finding a girlfriend will be easier.

If you are deliberately ignoring this sound advice, I can only conclude that you don't actually want friends and a girlfriend after all.

Which makes me question why you started this thread.

Who says i'm ignoring it?
Original post by sr90
Who says i'm ignoring it?

You're certainly not acknowledging it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending