The Student Room Group

Urgent clearing question - uni of reading

Hey,
so I had Reading down as my insurance was unsucessful but I want to apply for a completely different course via clearing at that university (as I have been told is possible). I have my results and the possibility of a remark if need be. However, on their site it says they won't consider students who had it as their firm/insurance for clearing but absolutely nothing on whether it would be for a change of course, particularly as they're not for courses that are similar or a course that's not an alternative for my other. I do have things still to sort with my results, granted, but I'm just wondering whether I should contact them regarding this issue or if a representative of the university can shed some light on the situation.
Thank you.
Original post by Ellie96
Hey,
so I had Reading down as my insurance was unsucessful but I want to apply for a completely different course via clearing at that university (as I have been told is possible). I have my results and the possibility of a remark if need be. However, on their site it says they won't consider students who had it as their firm/insurance for clearing but absolutely nothing on whether it would be for a change of course, particularly as they're not for courses that are similar or a course that's not an alternative for my other. I do have things still to sort with my results, granted, but I'm just wondering whether I should contact them regarding this issue or if a representative of the university can shed some light on the situation.
Thank you.

Hi Ellie, I would defo ring up the uni clearing hotline and see what they say regarding choosing another course. If you are close to the entry requirements then you will definitely be considered !

Number: 0118 402 0900
Original post by James A
Hi Ellie, I would defo ring up the uni clearing hotline and see what they say regarding choosing another course. If you are close to the entry requirements then you will definitely be considered !

Number: 0118 402 0900

Hi,
thank you for responding, I will most definitely do so, perhaps with the Careers/UCAS officer of my school present. I was also wondering, as I got BCD (entry requirements BBB) if it was worth asking if I would be considered on a unit or UCAS point basis, if at all? As I had glandular fever during the exam season and it was one unit on these two subjects that brought my grades down? Or should I just go in for a remark?
Thanks!
Original post by Ellie96
Hi,
thank you for responding, I will most definitely do so, perhaps with the Careers/UCAS officer of my school present. I was also wondering, as I got BCD (entry requirements BBB) if it was worth asking if I would be considered on a unit or UCAS point basis, if at all? As I had glandular fever during the exam season and it was one unit on these two subjects that brought my grades down? Or should I just go in for a remark?
Thanks!

You could do that too unless the course is asking for specific grades e.g. minimum C in English or Chemistry etc etc

You can always go for an emergency remark if you wish, however it will take a couple of days to get back so it's worth thinking about it. Also how far are you off the next grade overall?

:smile:
Original post by James A
You could do that too unless the course is asking for specific grades e.g. minimum C in English or Chemistry etc etc

You can always go for an emergency remark if you wish, however it will take a couple of days to get back so it's worth thinking about it. Also how far are you off the next grade overall?

:smile:

It's for classics and there's no required specific grades. (As for my original course, it as min. B in English but I got a C.)
I was 14 ums off a B in the subject I got a C in (English) but French (D) it was 11 till the next grade up. And it was the single units that brought me down to those grades so I'm still at somewhat of a loss, I suppose.
Hi Ellie96,

We still have places available on our English courses and your grade are absolutely spot on to get onto the course as you have 240 UCAS points. Why not give us a call on 01213316777 or connect with us through facebook if the lines are busy?

All the best!!
The BCU Team
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hi Ellie!
I can confirm that you can apply to Reading University through clearing for a different course.

Here's the link to ReadingUniversity clearing advice for 2015:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/

And here's the information for our clearing hotline:

From 8am on Thursday 13 August, our Clearing hotline (+44 (0)118402 0900) will be open during the following times:
Thursday 13th August –8.00am to 8.00pm
Friday 14th August –8.00am to 6.00pm
Saturday 15th August –10.00am to 2.00pm
From Monday 17th until Friday 21st August 9.00am to 5.00pm

Best of luck Ellie!

Hatty
University of Reading's Student Ambassador for Clearing 2015
Second Year Biological SciencesStudent
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Ellie!
I can confirm that you can apply to Reading University through clearing for a different course.

Here's the link to ReadingUniversity clearing advice for 2015:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/

And here's the information for our clearing hotline:

From 8am on Thursday 13 August, our Clearing hotline (+44 (0)118402 0900) will be open during the following times:
Thursday 13th August –8.00am to 8.00pm
Friday 14th August –8.00am to 6.00pm
Saturday 15th August –10.00am to 2.00pm
From Monday 17th until Friday 21st August 9.00am to 5.00pm

Best of luck Ellie!

Hatty
University of Reading's Student Ambassador for Clearing 2015
Second Year Biological SciencesStudent

Thank you so so much, I can't express how grateful I am that you responded.
May I also ask, can I apply to a course with lower grades than required? Given the circumstances of it being a single unit on two subjects that would have brought my grade down? And this being due to illness during the exam season (and months before)? And there is no specific grade for a specific subject required.
Shall I explain this or will it be an immediate rejection?
Original post by Ellie96
Thank you so so much, I can't express how grateful I am that you responded.
May I also ask, can I apply to a course with lower grades than required? Given the circumstances of it being a single unit on two subjects that would have brought my grade down? And this being due to illness during the exam season (and months before)? And there is no specific grade for a specific subject required.
Shall I explain this or will it be an immediate rejection?

Hi Ellie!

That's no problem at all! Here to help with any questions you may have.

You can still apply with the grades that you have, even if they are lower than the course requirements that were originally asked for on the course.

If you call up the clearing team, this will be the best option, as they will be able to assess your grades in regards to the course you would like to apply to.

Do explain all your circumstances, including your glandular fever, as the person you speak to from the call centre will be able to take this into account when considering you application for this new course.

The phone number for the clearing call centre is 0118 402 0900. The opening hours are:
Thursday 13th August 8.00am to 8.00pmFriday 14th August 8.00am to 6.00pmSaturday 15th August 10.00am to 2.00pmFrom Monday 17th until Friday 21st August 9.00am to 5.00pm
Feel free to message back with any other questions, I am here until 5pm, and the rest of the clearing team will be back here from 9am-5pm tomorrow.

Good luck!

Hatty Jeffrey
University of Reading Student Ambassador
Second Year Biological Sciences Student
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Ellie!

That's no problem at all! Here to help with any questions you may have.

You can still apply with the grades that you have, even if they are lower than the course requirements that were originally asked for on the course.

If you call up the clearing team, this will be the best option, as they will be able to assess your grades in regards to the course you would like to apply to.

Do explain all your circumstances, including your glandular fever, as the person you speak to from the call centre will be able to take this into account when considering you application for this new course.

The phone number for the clearing call centre is 0118 402 0900. The opening hours are:
Thursday 13th August 8.00am to 8.00pmFriday 14th August 8.00am to 6.00pmSaturday 15th August 10.00am to 2.00pmFrom Monday 17th until Friday 21st August 9.00am to 5.00pm
Feel free to message back with any other questions, I am here until 5pm, and the rest of the clearing team will be back here from 9am-5pm tomorrow.

Good luck!

Hatty Jeffrey

Thank you! I will get right on to doing this!
I have some (hopefully) final questions on this, if you don't mind?
Could my GCSE results have any positive sway on the decisions or is that completely irrelevant at this stage?
Also, should I say that I had a previous application into the university? As an insurance choice or leave out that information?

Thanks again!
Original post by Ellie96
Thank you! I will get right on to doing this!
I have some (hopefully) final questions on this, if you don't mind?
Could my GCSE results have any positive sway on the decisions or is that completely irrelevant at this stage?
Also, should I say that I had a previous application into the university? As an insurance choice or leave out that information?

Thanks again!

Hi Ellie,

No problem at all, all questions are welcome!

Make sure you tell the clearing admissions team everything regarding your application, including that were previously an offer holder from Reading University.

This will mean that they can consider your application with the best possible information.

You can share your GCSE results with us by all means- they should also have been submitted through your UCAS as well.

Best Regards,

Hatty Jeffrey
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending