The Student Room Group

5 AS Levels

Hi,
I'm currently a Year 11 student and hoping to study engineering in the future, and I have the opportunity to study 5 AS levels. I am definately going to do physics, maths, further maths and chemistry, and am considering doing geography. Knowing that they look for a wide range of subjects, I assume that geography would be of certain value amongst US unis as then I would have a wider range of subjects. However, if they don't really care about it then I would probably just do 4 and have an easier workload, as well as having more time to do extracurricular activities. My question is: Is it worth me taking AS geography and therefore doing 5 AS levels?
Reply 1
Dont take 5 AS Levels just to show that you have a wide range of skills. Do geography because you enjoy it and would like the challenge (believe me it is a huge challenge) of studying 5 subjects that you are truly interested in. Since you're certain on engineering as a degree, then 5 AS levels arent really necessary, the only major advantage that 5 has over 4 is that it keeps one's options open. So if you like geography, then take it, see how it goes, but if you want to do it just for the sake of it, then dont.
Reply 2
I take 5 A-levels and have continued them all to A2, i have a much busier timetable than all my friends but i enjoy all of my subjects so it doesnt particularly bother me. Mine are bio,chem, maths, f.maths and history. Its obviously more work but certainly not impossible. You're right uni's wont take them all into consideration so as long as you think taking more wont jeopardise the grades you need then id say consider it.
Reply 3
hey, geography is really easy so go for it
the workload is light, the exams aren't that hard
I was 2 ums marks off 300 last year and i didnt pay attention all year!
Reply 4
If you are mathematically minded maths and further maths arent that much work either- and doing further maths makes the normal a-level seem a lot easier. Chem is a fantastic subject too, cant say anything about physics though im afraid.
do sciences and maths and 1 essay based subject if you want five, only do geo if you enjoy it, or theres no point.
Never do anything just to put it on a college application- the cost far outweighs any marginal return or benefit received. I don't think geography would really make or break your app.
If you can nail A grades in all your subjects and still spend quality time on your 'extracurriculars', then I would do it. They will be impressed you can take on the workload and by your breadth - it is one more reason for them to take you. Having said that, I agree that it will not make or break your application.. just do it if you will enjoy it and if you can handle it. What you could do is give it up after a couple of weeks if it's too much.
Reply 8
I also am doing 5 As Levels(PHY+CHEM+MATH+ECO+ACC), and i chose them cuz i wanted a foundation in science as well as business. U can do 5 in As i suppose, cause it aint that tough. A2 of course, will be a different story.
Reply 9
I'd suggest an essay-based subject like English or History, but obviously only do them if you're sincerely interested.

But don't most US unis 'recommend' (ie require) 4 years of English in high school? And foreign language too...?
korektphool
I'd suggest an essay-based subject like English or History, but obviously only do them if you're sincerely interested.

But don't most US unis 'recommend' (ie require) 4 years of English in high school? And foreign language too...?

Yes, English is very important to US universities as are foreign languages.
ebonyphoenix
Yes, English is very important to US universities as are foreign languages.

In which case I would recommend doing at least English literature or a foreign language, if not both.
korektphool
In which case I would recommend doing at least English literature or a foreign language, if not both.

Agreed.
ok so why was ai neg repped for the above?
Reply 14
This is what it says on the MIT website:

One year of high school physics
One year of high school chemistry
One year of high school biology
Math, through calculus
A foreign language
Four years of English
Two years of history and/or social sciences

Now, please tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't studying until GCSE English count as "four years of English"?
It should do, but highschool in america is 14-18 not 11-16 so you might have to check.

Latest

Trending

Trending