The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Are my grades good enough to study Law at Bristol?

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if my grades are good enough to study Law at Bristol, and If I would even stand a chance. My heart is set on going there but I've heard there is about 30 applicants for every one place.
I am aware that the entry requirement is AAA / A*AB for Law and I have got AAA in my AS levels this year. My college is also on the contextual offers list so on the website it said I could get a place with AAB.
I under performed at GSCE level due to certain circumstances getting One A, 4 B's, a couple of C's and a D.
Are these grades good enough?
and also how do you go about applying for a contextual offer - do you have to apply for one? or do they automatically see that the college / school you attend is on the list and lower a grade?
It would be great if someone could help!
Reply 1
Hiya,

I am going to study Law at Bristol this September so can assure you that getting AAA will most definitely give you very good chances on getting in! My college was also in the contextual offer bracket and Bristol automatically give you this offer through the details on your UCAS application. My advice would be to work as hard as you can this year to get the best A2 results you can, get above a 22/23 on your LNAT, and write an amazing personal statement. If you do all that it would be very likely you'd get in.

Good luck!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Hey, I'm hoping on going to Bristol too, but for Aersopace Engineering.

I read somewhere that the Bristol application process is a point scoring system, and GCSE's only provide 5% of this. Your personal statement and college reference are so much more important, and with AAA at AS, you're doing pretty well already! Just make sure you show lots of enthusiasm and passion in your statement. And yes, they will take into account your college automatically when viewing your application

Basically, don't worry about your GCSEs. Bristol aren't like Cambridge; they won't focus on those, and the fact you got AAA at AS level speaks volumes. I under-performed at GCSE too due to certain circumstances, but have AAAA at AS and therefore I'm not thinking about GCSEs too much.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by steph-carys
Hey, I'm hoping on going to Bristol too, but for Aersopace Engineering.

I read somewhere that the Bristol application process is a point scoring system, and GCSE's only provide 5% of this. Your personal statement and college reference are so much more important, and with AAA at AS, you're doing pretty well already! Just make sure you show lots of enthusiasm and passion in your statement. And yes, they will take into account your college automatically when viewing your application

Basically, don't worry about your GCSEs. Bristol aren't like Cambridge; they won't focus on those, and the fact you got AAA at AS level speaks volumes. I under-performed at GCSE too due to certain circumstances, but have AAAA at AS and therefore I'm not thinking about GCSEs too much.

Good luck :smile:

Okay! Thank you so much :smile: I'm really worried though because I have a D in GCSE maths, I am retaking in November so hopefully will pass it and get the result before Christmas! But if I don't will I not get an offer to Bristol even with AAA, I can't see anything about GCSE maths on the website for requirements. And good luck to you also!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Wrf95
Hiya,

I am going to study Law at Bristol this September so can assure you that getting AAA will most definitely give you very good chances on getting in! My college was also in the contextual offer bracket and Bristol automatically give you this offer through the details on your UCAS application. My advice would be to work as hard as you can this year to get the best A2 results you can, get above a 22/23 on your LNAT, and write an amazing personal statement. If you do all that it would be very likely you'd get in.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Well done on getting in :smile: when are the LNAT's usually taken? I'm so sorry for all these questions!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ewalsh98
Thank you so much! Well done on getting in :smile: when are the LNAT's usually taken? I'm so sorry for all these questions!! :smile:

No, no don't worry - LNAT I believe can be taken whenever through september/october until january, but unis begin giving offers around november so i'd advise doing yours around that time, December at the latest.

Let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:
Bristol doesnt look at AS levels - for any courses.

For Law they just want good GCSEs and mega-high predictions for A levels, The subject isnt important - you could be doing 3 sciences it wouldnt matter - they just want high grades and a convincing PS that shows you actually understand what a career in Law is all about (dealing with endless conveyancing or tedious cases at a Magistrates court, ie.dealing with very ordinary people and not very glamorous) and that you realise a degree in Law is about reading, reading and more reading. If you can't handle text or complicated argument/analysis of text, don't bother applying.
Reply 7
You can read about what the law department look for here. That will give you an idea of what your application is judged on, and potentially allow you to tailor your application to appear more favourable to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending