The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Possible UEA Applicant - Help Please!

Hello!

Basically I am applying for uni for 2016 entry. But I am having problems finding universities that suit my needs, as I have Asperger syndrome and anxiety and as a result am sensitive to loud noise. So this may be a silly question, but compared to other unis, is the uni fairly quiet? and what is the accommodation like in terms of noise? and is there anywhere I can go to 'relax' if I get too anxious due to the noise? What is the pastoral care like? My only other options at this point are Aberystwyth or Swansea!

Thank you so much for any help, I am really stuggling to find a uni and did really like this one. I got ABC in my AS levels (7 UMS total off AAB) and would likely be applying for Politics.

I have also had to repeat year 12 due to my subjects not being right for me, is this likely to affect my application in any way?
Original post by emiloujess
Hello!

Basically I am applying for uni for 2016 entry. But I am having problems finding universities that suit my needs, as I have Asperger syndrome and anxiety and as a result am sensitive to loud noise. So this may be a silly question, but compared to other unis, is the uni fairly quiet? and what is the accommodation like in terms of noise? and is there anywhere I can go to 'relax' if I get too anxious due to the noise? What is the pastoral care like? My only other options at this point are Aberystwyth or Swansea!

Thank you so much for any help, I am really stuggling to find a uni and did really like this one. I got ABC in my AS levels (7 UMS total off AAB) and would likely be applying for Politics.

I have also had to repeat year 12 due to my subjects not being right for me, is this likely to affect my application in any way?

UEA is known for its pastoral support, the Dean of Students Office offers lots of services and its worth dropping them an email for specific advice. Unlike some unis UEA doesn't offer quiet flats though as they can't guarentee everyone in them will actually be quiet, this means its entirely dependent on whose in the flat as to whether they are quiet or not really and I think this is true at most uni halls.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
UEA is known for its pastoral support, the Dean of Students Office offers lots of services and its worth dropping them an email for specific advice. Unlike some unis UEA doesn't offer quiet flats though as they can't guarentee everyone in them will actually be quiet, this means its entirely dependent on whose in the flat as to whether they are quiet or not really and I think this is true at most uni halls.

Hi,
Thank you so much for replying! :smile: The pastoral support does sound good, but the accommodation is the main problem for me :frown: I have no idea what I'm going to do!
I've got Asperger Syndrome as well, starting Access course in a few weeks time. Hoping to be at UEA in 2017.

From what I've seen, UEA is really good at helping those with Asperger's. If you go to the next open day & talk to the people on Dean of Students stand, they'll be able to tell you how they'll help you. One thing they do is allow people with Asperger's to move into halls a few days early to give time to settle in. Talk to accommodation team as well to see what they say about how they'll place you, my guess would be that they'll put you in a small flat (fewer people sharing the kitchen). Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending