The Student Room Group

Choose between Economics and Chemistry HL

I live in America and Im goin into 11th grade
I have to choose between Economics HL and Chemistry HL
The CHemistry teacher is bad while the economics teacher is amazing.
As of now i think i want to go into the computers files (I know rather vague)
Mydad wants me to take CHemistry because he thinks it will help in my course.

I dont mind either but im inclined to take economics HL

PLS HELP
If you're going to college in the US, HL Chemistry will get you more advanced placement and/or credit than Economics will, in all likelihood. However it's a tough course, and if the teacher is bad it'll be all the harder. If your chem background isn't great I'd suggest doing econ and then you can take chem in college if necessary.

There really isn't any reason to take Chemistry HL unless you plan on applying for biology/chemistry/medicine in the UK for your undergrad. I mean there isn't really any reason to take economics either, but there aren't any reasons to not take it in your specific circumstance whereas there may be some for not taking chemistry. Hence, take Econ :P
It shouldn't matter then, if you're planning on studying computer sciences. Both are great subjects and both are widely recognised in the States for credit.

However, beyond just the quality of your teachers, also consider: your type of learning (are you sort of more objective and precise for Chem or more argumentative and essay-oriented for Econ?), the nature of the exams/IAs, etc.

Have a look through past papers. Do you feel intuitively drawn to one rather than the other? This should give you a more realistic idea of what to expect come May 2 years later.
Since you're looking into computer science, I suggest Economics HL as it seems to be what YOU want to study, which to me is essentially the most important decision making factor. Chemistry HL is known to be quite a tough course, so if the teacher isn't that great, you might find yourself struggling if you're not naturally adept at Chemistry.

Also, Chemistry HL isn't required unless you're planning to do Chemistry, Medicine, Dentistry and the like for university so I think you should just pick whichever you'd prefer! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending