The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it worth applying to Durham?

My GCSEs are okay. I got 6 A*, 5 A, 1 B and 1 C.

My AS results are AAAB and A* in EPQ. I'm taking on the subjects I got AAB in (most relevant for my course) to A2 and will be predicted AAA*. Will my GCSEs or B at AS let me down? I'm applying to geology if that makes a difference. Also do any unis actually care about EPQ? I only did it because it was either that or general studies.

Your grades show that you should definitely apply! I got 6 A*, 4 A and 1 C at GCSE and AABB at AS Levels and got an offer for Modern Languages, so I don't see why you wouldn't for your subject - it's worth trying at least because you'd make a competitive application, particularly if you have a strong personal statement.

I think universities care more about the EPQ than General Studies, so you made the right decision - but it most likely won't be part of your entry requirement. It is, however, something to discuss in your personal statement, as it will help you to stand out from the other candidates and show them something unique that they perhaps haven't heard before.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest