The Student Room Group

Have I made the right a level choice??😁😁

Poll

Did I choose correctly for my A levels (economics, geography maths, psychology)

On Thursday I received my GCSE results. I achieved:
Maths A*
French A
English language A
Further maths B
Geography A*
History A*
English literature A*
Music A
Biology A
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
I am very pleased with these (obviously!!) to get these grades I put in hours and hours of revision, doing 4hrs after school 4 times a week, a few hours on Saturday and 6hrs on a Sunday. I then did about 8hrs revision daily during study leave to achieve my best!!
In the future I have NO IDEA what I want to do, however I'm certain I would like to go to university. I have chosen to take maths, geography, economics and psychology at A level (I am staying at my school's sixth form). Have I made an okay choice and where could these choices lead?? Please be honest, I'd rather you be brutal and truthful, than lie. Thanks in advance!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Geography has horrifically low graduate employment rates, but if it's something you enjoy, that's an important thing too.
Maths sounds useful, although generally you would be expected to take sciences (core ones, mind you) as well for a lot of courses.
Economics is a good choice and obviously links well to Maths, but make sure to keep up with current affairs.
Psychology is more limited and less well-respected than core sciences; if you want a career in it, you'll also need at least an MSc.

Maths will obviously lead into a variety of careers, but the majority are strictly bound to either finance or science (eg Physics).
Geography is useful for, well...anything to do with geographical stuff, really. Teaching seems to be popular, as with History.
Psychology careers will involve sciences and some universities bar you from doing certain things without Sciences, otherwise your options involve clinical psychiatry, neuroscience, research etc.
Economics leads into a variety of things - most notably law, politics, finance, business and of course economics itself.

Edit: Haven't voted because it's really your choice. I'd go for a core science though, and if I had to kick one I'd say Geography.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending