The Student Room Group

Buying a car that has problems from a private seller what rights do you have?

A family relation bought a pickup from a private individual via a dealer in Sub Saharan Africa with cash (basically in that country you can sell you cars via dealers and give them a commission for selling your car, they don't own your car they just keep it in their car yard or showroom, market the vehicle for you and people view the car there, I'm not sure why that doesn't happen in the UK maybe someone can explain.) Now 48 hours after the purchase the car can barely get up hills in first gear and a mechanic has said the car has been flooded before. The reciept my family relation was given said "the buyer agrees to buy the vehicle as is subject to the vehicle being to the customers satisfaction." Also the pickup failed the commercial vehicle inspection (like a mot before the pickup was bought) and the social security number of my relation was not given (needs to be recorded on the log book for VAT purposes I think) so is there any grounds for a refund if British law was being used (since the country in question was a British colony and they still use many laws in exactly the sane way the British implemented)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If they bought it as seen then they don't need to refund you whatsoever
Reply 2
Under UK law, private sale, sold as seen, you have bugger all rights unless you can prove the vehicle wasnt sold as described.

If its a dealer, even a small one, then there a whole load of rights and rules (Sales of Goods Act 1979)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending