The Student Room Group

Should I call the uni? Got rejected!!!

I got rejected from my firm choice uni. It was a design course.

The requirements for me were:
DDD in BTEC Extended Diploma
C in GCSE Maths
C in GCSE English

What I got:
D*D*D in BTEC Extended Diploma
C in GCSE Maths
D in GCSE English

In my personal statement I talked about that I got loads of real work experience, etc. However, I sill got rejected. I previously done Functional Skills English Level 2.

I know rejection is rejection, but should I call them on Monday asking if they would let me in?

Scroll to see replies

Shouldn't you have called them on Thursday when you got your results, if you really wanted to secure a place there? They might have filled up your place with students from Clearing by now? :dontknow:

If it's confirmed as a rejection on UCAS, then I presume they have already made the decision that they do not want to take you anyway :sad:
Reply 2
You failed English, the course most probably requires a minimum of grade C at GCSE English, its compulsory. Not sure if there's any uni out there that will accept a D in English at GCSE. Its a compulsory subject that you need a pass in and D is a fail. :frown:
Original post by daryZ

C in GCSE Maths
C in GCSE English

What I got:
C in GCSE Maths
D in GCSE English

In my personal statement I talked about that I got loads of real work experience, etc. However, I sill got rejected. I previously done Functional Skills English Level 2.

I know rejection is rejection, but should I call them on Monday asking if they would let me in?

That's so cruel and unfair! Call them, you have nothing to loose.
Reply 4
I agree - the English grade D is probably what's sunk you. Grade C is a minimum requirement. Unis no longer accept equivalents so the Functional Skills won't compensate.

By all means call the uni, but I wouldn't be hopeful. If they won't take you, ask if it's worth retaking the GCSE English and reapplying next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by daryZ

C in GCSE Maths
C in GCSE English

What I got:
C in GCSE Maths
D in GCSE English

If they already rejected you on track then I'm afraid that is most likely it. English GCSE is a core requirement because it shows you can write to an expected level, analyse and have reasonable spelling and grammar.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
If they already rejected you on track then I'm afraid that is most likely it. English GCSE is a core requirement because it shows you can write to an expected level, analyse and have reasonable spelling and grammar.

In BTEC I had to do 2000-3000 word essays almost every month. Btw I was the only person in the group to get D*D*D.
Reply 7
Original post by daryZ
In BTEC I had to do 2000-3000 word essays almost every month. Btw I was the only person in the group to get D*D*D.

you still didnt reach the requirement, if you want to get on the course that much you'll have to retake the exams and get a C
Reply 8
I rang them up and they said they need that grade C in GCSE English no matter what. They suggested me to retake the exam and apply next year. They didn't even consider my application when they were rejecting me.

They can now ********** because I got accepted to a better university through clearing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by daryZ

C in GCSE Maths
C in GCSE English

What I got:
C in GCSE Maths
D in GCSE English

Sorry dude it's over you'll have to go elsewhere.you missed you offer it's simple as that .
Reply 10
Original post by jonathanemptage
Sorry dude it's over you'll have to go elsewhere.you missed you offer it's simple as that .

No s**t, Sherlock.
Original post by daryZ
No s**t, Sherlock.

2mad
Original post by daryZ
No s**t, Sherlock.

I don't think you're in a position to act like his answer was obvious considering you actually asked the question. Therefore, you didn't know what you're now treating as obvious.

"should I call them on Monday asking if they would let me in?"

If you want to be so rude to people who were sympathetic to your position, then maybe you should try this as your next step on the educational ladder instead: http://www.freemannerslesson.com
Reply 13
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it is a good idea to retake English as many universities require a grade of at least C or above. Wish you all the best though.
Reply 14
Original post by david9640
I don't think you're in a position to act like his answer was obvious considering you actually asked the question. Therefore, you didn't know what you're now treating as obvious.

If you want to be so rude to people who were sympathetic to your position, then maybe you should try this as your next step on the educational ladder instead: http://www.freemannerslesson.com

Haha that made me lol
Original post by david9640

loool you even gave a link:clap2:
Reply 16
Original post by Londoner.
loool you even gave a link:clap2:

Replies like his are the main reason why I made a student room account. :biggrin:
Original post by AzimH
Replies like his are the main reason why I made a student room account. :biggrin:

haha yeah it's entertaining :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by daryZ
They can now ********** because I got accepted to a better university through clearing.

Congratulations! :smile:

I would take GCSE English again anyway, though - you have nothing to lose, and it might be an issue when you come to apply for jobs.
Reply 19
Original post by Lemur12
Congratulations! :smile:

I would take GCSE English again anyway, though - you have nothing to lose, and it might be an issue when you come to apply for jobs.
Thanks! :smile:

Btw I already had 2 professional and 1 unprofessional job and none of them were interested in what I got at school. Employers tend to look at your highest qualifications. Unless it's a job like mcdonalds, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending