The Student Room Group

Applying to medical school with achieved a-level grades

Hey guys, hope everyone is well and enjoying there well deserved summer holidays!

I am on a gap year and have achieved my A-level grades:

Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Maths: A

Which universities give preference to people applying with achieved grades opposed to applying with predicted grades.

Done my ukcat last year and got 677.5 avg. Obviously it lasts only for a year so need to do it for a second time. So right now i have not got a ukcat score.

Which universities would you guys suggest applying with achieved grades will get myself into. My choices of uni are between the following:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Exeter
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicster
Manchester
Newcastle
Plymouth
Durham
Kings

I am not really interested in the unis that i haven't listed.

Anyway thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FireFreak
Hey guys, hope everyone is well and enjoying there well deserved summer holidays!

Which universities give preference to people applying with achieved grades opposed to applying with predicted grades.

Done my ukcat last year and got 677.5 avg. Obviously it lasts only for a year so need to do it for a second time. So right now i have not got a ukcat score.

Which universities would you guys suggest applying with achieved grades will get myself into. My choices of uni are between the following:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Exeter
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicster
Manchester
Newcastle
Plymouth
Durham
Kings

Seeing as the majority of those are ukcat unis, sit your ukcat and then decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aberdeen
Dundee
Exeter
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicster
Manchester
Newcastle
Plymouth
Durham
Kings

Hi I was in your exact position last year and don't regret my gap year. It will be emotionally difficult at first but I guarantee you will be in a much stronger position now not only because you have your grades in hand but also because you can use this gap year to show how responsible and mature of a person you are.

It's very difficult to give advice on where to apply without knowing your ukcat/gcse's. I wouldn't rule out any med school, just be sure to apply to your strengths.
It would be better to post again with your ukcat/gcse's next time :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi I was in your exact position last year and don't regret my gap year. It will be emotionally difficult at first but I guarantee you will be in a much stronger position now not only because you have your grades in hand but also because you can use this gap year to show how responsible and mature of a person you are.

It's very difficult to give advice on where to apply without knowing your ukcat/gcse's. I wouldn't rule out any med school, just be sure to apply to your strengths.

Thank you for the reply.

My GCSEs aren't the best (3A,5B,2C), although my A-level results compensate quite a bit for moderate GCSE grades to some universities i.e. manchester. Last time i done my UKCAT i got 677.5 average (550,790,780,610), if thats anything to work on in providing some advice.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? How many offers did you get before a gap year, and after a gap year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for the reply.

My GCSEs aren't the best (3A,5B,2C), although my A-level results compensate quite a bit for moderate GCSE grades to some universities i.e. manchester. Last time i done my UKCAT i got 677.5 average (550,790,780,610), if thats anything to work on in providing some advice.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? How many offers did you get before a gap year, and after a gap year?

Didn't get any 1st time round but got 1 this year from Cardiff. I applied to non ukcat/unis that don't really use ukcat because my ukcat wasn't so good. So be sure to apply to your strengths.
Also remember that medicine isn't the be all and end all and so do consider other options as well when applying :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Didn't get any 1st time round but got 1 this year from Cardiff. I applied to non ukcat/unis that don't really use ukcat because my ukcat wasn't so good. So be sure to apply to your strengths.
Also remember that medicine isn't the be all and end all and so do consider other options as well when applying :smile:

Thanks for the reply again! And Congratulations on getting into cardiff, massive achievement! How many interviews did you get first time round as opposed to second time round. Do you think that since you had achieved A-level grades that this gave you an edge?
Thanks for the reply again! And Congratulations on getting into cardiff, massive achievement! How many interviews did you get first time round as opposed to second time round. Do you think that since you had achieved A-level grades that this gave you an edge?

No probs :smile:
I had 0 first time round and 4 second time round.
Definitely acheived grades is the only reason I got in. QUB topped up my academic score due to acheived grades and so did Cardiff, hence I got interviews there.

Hi I am considering a gap year after being rejected from my med unis! What did you do during your gap year to strengthen your application second time round?
Cheers
Original post by helloravers
Hi I am considering a gap year after being rejected from my med unis! What did you do during your gap year to strengthen your application second time round?
Cheers

Hi it was difficult at first especially seeing all my peers go off to uni. Tbh because I was going through this second time round I had an idea of the whole process so I was able to improve on my persoal statement and learn from the mistakes I made in my previous application cycle.

I volunteered at a hospital, went on holiday, did befriending for elderly people, currently volunteering for the National Autistic society, moved house (not relevant but kept me busy).
A gap also helps you mature as a person and helps you gain that responsibility aspect and independence before university.
I also worked (still do) as a sales advisor at Tesco. This definitely has helped me develop communication skills and people skills.

Obviously you can't mention everything in your statement so don't worry because you can talk about that during your interview.

:smile:
Another thing I would like to add is that only take a gap year if medicine is only what you've ever wanted to do.

I got 4 rejections initially on my gap year (I got in eventually off the waiting list, thank God) but what I will say is that it is unimaginably depressing getting rejected on your gap year.
if you do have a uni offer and it's a course you wouldn't mind studying then I would advise maybe going for it and so how it pans out and plus GEM is always an option.

Also remember that even if you have great A levels achieved you can apply for the undergraduate in the final year of your degree and you then also can apply to the graduate courses, plus you'll have a career under your belt.
But as I said if your absolutely crazy about Medicine and simply cannot see yourself doing any other course then a gap year might be best.

The choice is entirely yours, all I'm saying is that I don't want you to go through the pain of rejections and then feel regret that you gave your place at uni away.
I'm just pointing out the facts and I just want the best for you.
Reply 10
No probs :smile:
I had 0 first time round and 4 second time round.
Definitely acheived grades is the only reason I got in. QUB topped up my academic score due to acheived grades and so did Cardiff, hence I got interviews there.

Again thanks for the reply! Your comments are helping me boost myself and work harder than ever for my ukcat.

If you dont mind me asking what did you get in your GCSE AS A2 and UKCAT, its honestly absolutely fine if you don't want to share some or any of them.

Besides that how are you enjoying medicine! :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Again thanks for the reply! Your comments are helping me boost myself and work harder than ever for my ukcat.

If you dont mind me asking what did you get in your GCSE AS A2 and UKCAT, its honestly absolutely fine if you don't want to share some or any of them.

Besides that how are you enjoying medicine! :biggrin:.

You welcome :smile:
GCSE 4.5A*s 8A's
AS: AAAA A2:A*AAA

Ukcat 592.5.

I haven't started yet so don't know.

Like I said above also have a back up plan if medcine doesn't work out.
Another thing I would like to add is that only take a gap year if medicine is only what you've ever wanted to do.

I got 4 rejections initially on my gap year (I got in eventually off the waiting list, thank God) but what I will say is that it is unimaginably depressing getting rejected on your gap year.
if you do have a uni offer and it's a course you wouldn't mind studying then I would advise maybe going for it and so how it pans out and plus GEM is always an option.

Also remember that even if you have great A levels achieved you can apply for the undergraduate in the final year of your degree and you then also can apply to the graduate courses, plus you'll have a career under your belt.
But as I said if your absolutely crazy about Medicine and simply cannot see yourself doing any other course then a gap year might be best.

The choice is entirely yours, all I'm saying is that I don't want you to go through the pain of rejections and then feel regret that you gave your place at uni away.
I'm just pointing out the facts and I just want the best for you.

Its a hard choice, I would love to do medicine but the course I'm currently on for doing I also wouldnt mind doing. However ideally medicine is what i want to do, so i think the risk may be worth taking! Even though id love to be going uni this year :frown:
Hi it was difficult at first especially seeing all my peers go off to uni. Tbh because I was going through this second time round I had an idea of the whole process so I was able to improve on my persoal statement and learn from the mistakes I made in my previous application cycle.

I volunteered at a hospital, went on holiday, did befriending for elderly people, currently volunteering for the National Autistic society, moved house (not relevant but kept me busy).
A gap also helps you mature as a person and helps you gain that responsibility aspect and independence before university.
I also worked (still do) as a sales advisor at Tesco. This definitely has helped me develop communication skills and people skills.

Obviously you can't mention everything in your statement so don't worry because you can talk about that during your interview.

:smile:

Yeah I'm the same at the moment, really want to go to university but achieving the grades for medicine id only regret not reapplying so I think a gap year is looking likely! I just want to make sure i don't get the horrible 4 rejections again like before and want to increase my chances in every aspect or my reapplication!

Thanks!
Original post by helloravers
Yeah I'm the same at the moment, really want to go to university but achieving the grades for medicine id only regret not reapplying so I think a gap year is looking likely! I just want to make sure i don't get the horrible 4 rejections again like before and want to increase my chances in every aspect or my reapplication!

Thanks!

I think without knowing your ukcat it's a bit difficult to decide. If you score really highly then it might be worth it, if you score really low then it might be a huge risk particularly since Liverpool and Lancaster are using admissions tests this year. A low ukcat could really reduce your options this year to places like Keele,Bristol,Cardiff and the BMAT ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
You welcome :smile:
GCSE 4.5A*s 8A's
AS: AAAA A2:A*AAA

Ukcat 592.5.

I haven't started yet so don't know.

Like I said above also have a back up plan if medcine doesn't work out.

You got 4As in AS and you didn't get in to medicine first time round? :/
Reply 16
I think without knowing your ukcat it's a bit difficult to decide. If you score really highly then it might be worth it, if you score really low then it might be a huge risk particularly since Liverpool and Lancaster are using admissions tests this year. A low ukcat could really reduce your options this year to places like Keele,Bristol,Cardiff and the BMAT ones.

Hi! Just wanted to say that Keele don't place a huge emphasis on UKCAT. They have a low threshold score, so as long as you achieve this then it all comes down to their roles and responsibilities form. They seem more interested in work experience in a caring role than UKCAT. Obviously you also need to achieve the grades. Their form is used to decide who then onwards is called for interview! Hope this helps. :smile:
You got 4As in AS and you didn't get in to medicine first time round? :/

Yes I didn't apply strategically and it's not uncommon to be rejected after getting 4A's at AS.
Reply 18
A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths. 685 Band 3. 7A*s and 4 A's. Gap Year Student. Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital. I don't have any experience in a caring environment but I will be Starting on the October 20th. I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Where should I apply? I'm thinking of Two london unis and two others.

Do I have chance since i don't have experience in a care home?

Currently I am thinking of Kings, Queen Mary, Manchester, Nottingham? What do people think? I feel like i should replace one with St. Georges? if so which one?
Original post by mj14097
A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths. 685 Band 3. 7A*s and 4 A's. Gap Year Student. Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital. I don't have any experience in a caring environment but I will be Starting on the October 20th. I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Where should I apply? I'm thinking of Two london unis and two others.

Do I have chance since i don't have experience in a care home?

Currently I am thinking of Kings, Queen Mary, Manchester, Nottingham? What do people think? I feel like i should replace one with St. Georges? if so which one?

Hi your stats are excellent and don't worry you don't have to have care home experience. Just anything that shows your caring/have empathy will be fine.

I think your choices look good but personally with your stats I would consider Cardiff.
You should get 27/27 points due to acheived grades and if you have a decent statement you should get an interview.

I'm not to sure about Kings as I know they want people with really high ukcats and loads of A*s GCSE.

St Georges is a good option and I see nothing wrong with Manchester/Nottingham.

Tbh I think your stats are fine for most medical schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending