The Student Room Group

Help! I need to get into York badly!!!!!!

I didn't do very well in AS this year! I'm happy with a high B in Maths and I got a C in RE but I'm dropping anyway(finally!!!!!). But I got 2 D's in Psychology and Chemistry and I want to study psychology at York. I need ABB and I'm definitely going to retake AS psychology but I don't want many more exams in June. Can I still get a B in chemistry if I keep the D and don't retake?
You could possibly get a B in Chem with no retakes, but it would be quite difficult to pull off. Overall from both years, you need at least 420 ums to get a B grade.

Assuming you got 150 ums at AS (the bare minimum for a D grade), and you get full UMS from both exams and the coursework in the second year. You can come out with 450 UMS. You can afford to lose 30 UMS overall in the second year in order to get a B grade.

Obviously getting straight A grades in the second year with high UMS is no small feat. So I would recommend retaking unless you're happy with a C.

Tell me how much UMS you got in AS in Chem so I can give you a more accurate estimation of the grades you'll need to achieve.
@lukemurp890

I got 142 UMS for AQA Psychology and edexcel economics(They were both B's)
and 166 ums for AQA english (An A)

what do i need at a2 to get an A overall
Original post by scrawlx101
@lukemurp890

I got 142 UMS for AQA Psychology and edexcel economics(They were both B's)
and 166 ums for AQA english (An A)

what do i need at a2 to get an A overall

Psychology- You'll need at least 320 ums for an A, so 178 ums in year 2. You'll need 2 mid A grades (89 ums) in both exams to get an A.

Economics- Same as Psychology, 320 ums for an A, 178 ums in year 2. So 2 mid A grades. (Or one low A and one high).
Original post by lukemurp890
You could possibly get a B in Chem with no retakes, but it would be quite difficult to pull off. Overall from both years, you need at least 420 ums to get a B grade.

Assuming you got 150 ums at AS (the bare minimum for a D grade), and you get full UMS from both exams and the coursework in the second year. You can come out with 450 UMS. You can afford to lose 30 UMS overall in the second year in order to get a B grade.

Obviously getting straight A grades in the second year with high UMS is no small feat. So I would recommend retaking unless you're happy with a C.

Tell me how much UMS you got in AS in Chem so I can give you a more accurate estimation of the grades you'll need to achieve.

I got 168 UMS marks (very embarrassing!).
Original post by sassy_hoodlum
I got 168 UMS marks (very embarrassing!).

So you'll need 252 ums from the second year. If you get the bare minimum for an A in both exams and the coursework, You'll have 240 ums. If you get full ums for everything, you'll have 270 ums.

Overall, you'll need high A grades in unit 1, unit 2 and the coursework to get a B. You'll need to get nearly full ums in all of them.

If you're planning on retaking, I would recommend retaking unit 2 and the coursework. A lot of the second year content is related to unit 2. So hopefully if you retake unit 2 in June, the content will almost be like second nature.
z

hey i see you helping people. help me pls :h:

i got 138 ums in AS psych (one raw mark from a B), how much ums do i need for an overall A at A2?

thank you
So you'll need 252 ums from the second year. If you get the bare minimum for an A in both exams and the coursework, You'll have 240 ums. If you get full ums for everything, you'll have 270 ums.

Overall, you'll need high A grades in unit 1, unit 2 and the coursework to get a B. You'll need to get nearly full ums in all of them.

If you're planning on retaking, I would recommend retaking unit 2 and the coursework. A lot of the second year content is related to unit 2. So hopefully if you retake unit 2 in June, the content will almost be like second nature.

Yeah unit 2 is the largest exam (and I got an E) so maybe retaking that would be a good idea. Thank you so much for your help!
Yeah unit 2 is the largest exam (and I got an E) so maybe retaking that would be a good idea. Thank you so much for your help!

No problem
Original post by chickenfoot
hey i see you helping people. help me pls :h:

i got 138 ums in AS psych (one raw mark from a B), how much ums do i need for an overall A at A2?

thank you

You need 182 ums in year 2, 91 ums in each exam. So 2 mid A grades in both exams.
Reply 10
I didn't do very well in AS this year! I'm happy with a high B in Maths and I got a C in RE but I'm dropping anyway(finally!!!!!). But I got 2 D's in Psychology and Chemistry and I want to study psychology at York. I need ABB and I'm definitely going to retake AS psychology but I don't want many more exams in June. Can I still get a B in chemistry if I keep the D and don't retake?

I'm in a similar position and will have to retake AS psychology if I want to take it up as a degree... However I got an E and wondering if I should apply this year or not. What are your plans? My other A Levels went quite well... :L
Original post by f12axf
I'm in a similar position and will have to retake AS psychology if I want to take it up as a degree... However I got an E and wondering if I should apply this year or not. What are your plans? My other A Levels went quite well... :L

I am considering retaking both exams as I got a D in both and I was so disappointed. I thought I'd done much better if I'm honest.
I have also considered retaking AS completely at a new college but it's something I'm kind of against as I don't just want to make the same mistakes twice. Hopefully with another go I should be able to get at least a high B. I'm going to have a meeting with my college staff this week to see what my options are. What about you?
Reply 12
I am considering retaking both exams as I got a D in both and I was so disappointed. I thought I'd done much better if I'm honest.
I have also considered retaking AS completely at a new college but it's something I'm kind of against as I don't just want to make the same mistakes twice. Hopefully with another go I should be able to get at least a high B. I'm going to have a meeting with my college staff this week to see what my options are. What about you?

EXACTLY THE SAME... I was disappointed too and might get my papers remarked... Meeting this Wednesday just before year 13 starts...I hope it goes well and i'm not stuck :frown: Might even take a gap year...Will you apply to uni this year then?

Why would you drop RE if you got a C? It will be much easier to pull that up than the D in chemistry. You would definitely need to resit some chemistry exams if you want a B in A2, A2 is more difficult, so if you struggled with AS then it is unlikely you will be able to pull the D up by 2 grades :biggrin:
Psychology- You'll need at least 320 ums for an A, so 178 ums in year 2. You'll need 2 mid A grades (89 ums) in both exams to get an A.

Economics- Same as Psychology, 320 ums for an A, 178 ums in year 2. So 2 mid A grades. (Or one low A and one high).

what about english?
Original post by scrawlx101
what about english?

A low A grade in unit 3 and a high B grade in unit 4 could get you an A overall.

Quick Reply

Latest