The Student Room Group

Failed an AS: Worth picking up another one???

So I got AABU in my AS results, with the U being in Art and Design.

I know it's probably incredibly hard to fail Art but I just hated the subject and lacked motivation for it. So do you think it's worth picking up another AS next year or not? I'm very worried the U will put off most universities.
Reply 1
Have you considered doing an EPQ? Some universities usually lower your offer if you get a high grade on your EPQ.
Reply 2
Original post by stormh0ld

I know it's probably incredibly hard to fail Art but I just hated the subject and lacked motivation for it. So do you think it's worth picking up another AS next year or not? I'm very worried the U will put off most universities.

Art is quite a hard and subjective subject.

Personally, I find that it wouldn't be worth doing another subject as it would increase your workload. Why not retake it?
Reply 3
If you don't like the course you shouldn't do it. As for when applying to Ucas you can hide the grade by retaking the exam (set it to pending on UCAS), and then cancel the retake after you got your offer(s). Hopefully they won't ask for a specific grade in that an AS course. Good idea, right?
Reply 4
Original post by a.b245
Have you considered doing an EPQ? Some universities usually lower your offer if you get a high grade on your EPQ.

Is EPQ extended project? We get that offered to us at our college but I've heard it isn't usually recognised by unis? Have you done it?
Reply 5
Is EPQ extended project? We get that offered to us at our college but I've heard it isn't usually recognised by unis? Have you done it?

Its pointless
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
Art is quite a hard and subjective subject.

Personally, I find that it wouldn't be worth doing another subject as it would increase your workload. Why not retake it?

I failed art because of quite a few factors. Them being that I hated the subject, one of my family members was critical in hospital and I overall lacked motivation to produce the work. I can't see myself passing it I i retook it, and I feel like it might drag down my other subjects. So is it worth a different AS or not one at all? :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by 0VOID0
If you don't like the course you shouldn't do it. As for when applying to Ucas you can hide the grade by retaking the exam (set it to pending on UCAS), and then cancel the retake after you got your offer(s). Hopefully they won't ask for a specific grade in that an AS course. Good idea, right?

Will they not follow that up or be suspicious about it? That actually sounds like a good idea considering i hate the subject and its not related to what I was to do at uni (psychology).
Reply 8
I failed art because of quite a few factors. Them being that I hated the subject, one of my family members was critical in hospital and I overall lacked motivation to produce the work. I can't see myself passing it I i retook it, and I feel like it might drag down my other subjects. So is it worth a different AS or not one at all? :frown:

If you are applying this year it won't make much difference.

I got the same grades as you except an E instead of a U and it didn't hinder my application at all! I'd say there's no point to be honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Changing Skies
I got the same grades as you except an E instead of a U and it didn't hinder my application at all! I'd say there's no point to be honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really reassuring, thank you! :smile: Out of curiosity did you get all your offers?
That's really reassuring, thank you! :smile: Out of curiosity did you get all your offers?

No worries! :smile: I did, from Durham, York, Exeter, Kent, and Liverpool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

It's really important to consider that A2's are harder than AS, and it may be a struggle to do this alongside your A2 subjects. UCL offers with at least a pass in a fourth subject, an e.
Reply 13
Original post by a.b245
It's really important to consider that A2's are harder than AS, and it may be a struggle to do this alongside your A2 subjects. UCL offers with at least a pass in a fourth subject, an e.

UCL isn't one of my options anyway. My options are going to be Kent, Reading, UEA, Loughborough and Royal Holloway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest