The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study English Literature (please help)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Be careful you may regret it. Your parents definitely have a point that job prospects are abysmal in English literature. Everyone who does the course wants to be the professor one day, and there are many graduates year after year, but only 1 professor.

Instead study journalism. You say that is one of the careers you are interested in anyway.

I understand that, but isn't journalism just as difficult to get into, perhaps more difficult?
Original post by EllainKahlo
It's better to make your own choice then end up in debt for the rest of your life after having taken a degree in a subject you didn't even enjoy. Jobs are scarce for everyone right now and you will be at a greater disadvantage taking a subject you don't like and aren't committed to than taking English.

But i have a higher chance of being employed if I study a science subject
Original post by Anonymous
I understand that, but isn't journalism just as difficult to get into, perhaps more difficult?

Journalism is much better than English literature mate. Journalism is a profession, English literature isn't. Always go with a course that corresponds with a profession, e.g. medicine, pharmacy, engineering, journalism, accountancy, law. You can't go wrong if you choose a professional field.
Hi, so my GCSE results were average when it came to science and maths, but i got A* and A in English Lang and Lit. My parents told me that I can't study English at Uni or they won't support me. I don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

There is literally nothing wrong with doing an English degree.
You will find a job after doing that degree, it just doesn't necessarily have to be related to English! There are plenty of options for jobs for English graduates.

And yes, as someone has already mentioned, there is a massive jump up from GCSE to A Level in Maths and Science (I did Maths, Biology, English Lang/Lit at A Level and Chemistry AS) And then there's also a jump up from AS to A2 as well. Maths and Chemistry are especially tough at A Level as you need to be able to understand the Maths behind it to be able to apply it in exam questions. Biology - the content I found fairly simple, what makes it hard is that there is a LOT to learn for it and with the exam board I did, they wanted exact wording from you else you wouldn't get the marks.

To be honest, I would advise to do English. It seems that English is your strong point and you enjoy it. I don't see the point in studying a degree you aren't going to enjoy, and therefore lead to a job you'll ultimately hate and resent. :smile:

Good Luck!
Journalism is much better than English literature mate. Journalism is a profession, English literature isn't. Always go with a course that corresponds with a profession, e.g. medicine, pharmacy, engineering, journalism, accountancy, law. You can't go wrong if you choose a professional field.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. But I hear so many people who want to be journalists and are writing columns for free for big newspapers who are unemployed.
Reply 25
If you don't do something you're truly passionate about, you'll never be at peace and you probably won't do well (if you hate the subject). Life is about building a life you're happy to live. One you don't regularly have to call in sick for.

I know it's difficult having parent's that insist you take a certain career path, but you genuinely have to say it how it is without beating around the bush, and be firm that you must do what appeals to you, and not them. It seems like they won't accept it, but they will.

Sometimes parent's are more inclined to listening to adults, and teacher's, so maybe ask if your English teacher will have a word. I'm sure your English teacher will be happy to support you in pursuing a career in English. Having said that, you've still got time to think about career paths. The best thing for you to do now would be to pick subjects you're interested in studying further, which seems to be the Arts and specifically English.
Keep working at the pace you are now and you will go on to doing great things.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KittKatt
There is literally nothing wrong with doing an English degree.
You will find a job after doing that degree, it just doesn't necessarily have to be related to English! There are plenty of options for jobs for English graduates.

And yes, as someone has already mentioned, there is a massive jump up from GCSE to A Level in Maths and Science (I did Maths, Biology, English Lang/Lit at A Level and Chemistry AS) And then there's also a jump up from AS to A2 as well. Maths and Chemistry are especially tough at A Level as you need to be able to understand the Maths behind it to be able to apply it in exam questions. Biology - the content I found fairly simple, what makes it hard is that there is a LOT to learn for it and with the exam board I did, they wanted exact wording from you else you wouldn't get the marks.

To be honest, I would advise to do English. It seems that English is your strong point and you enjoy it. I don't see the point in studying a degree you aren't going to enjoy, and therefore lead to a job you'll ultimately hate and resent. :smile:

Good Luck!

Yes you're right, I would hate a science related job. As much as I hate doubting myself right now, is it just possible that my mother speaks some truth when she says that i dont know what i want and if i study Eng Lit, half way I will change my mind? I'd like to think I wouldn't. But I have always been good at English.
Be careful you may regret it. Your parents definitely have a point that job prospects are abysmal in English literature. Everyone who does the course wants to be the professor one day, and there are many graduates year after year, but only 1 professor.

Instead study journalism. You say that is one of the careers you are interested in anyway.

As someone who is currently studying for an English degree, I can say with absolute certainty that NOT everyone who studies this wants to be a professor one day.
I certainly don't, and I don't know anyone who does want to.

Jobs that are linked directly to English are tough to come by and are hard to get into, I'll admit. But that does not meant that jobs prospects are awful. But jobs that are not directly linked to English are by all means not the only jobs that are open to us.

At the end of the day, it's a choice between OP studying a course where they're happy or a course where they will hate and resent the fact that they did it because they felt pressured into doing it by parents/society.
Original post by Masooda
If you don't do something you're truly passionate about, you'll never be at peace and you probably won't do well (if you hate the subject). Life is about building a life you're happy to live. One you don't regularly have to call in sick for.

I know it's difficult having parent's that insist you take a certain career path, but you genuinely have to say it how it is without beating around the bush, and be firm that you must appeals to you, and not them. It seems like they will accept it, but they will.

Sometimes parent's are more inclined to listening to adults, and teacher's, so maybe ask if your English teacher will have a word. I'm sure your English teacher will be happy to support you in pursuing a career in English. Having said that, you've still got time to think about career paths. The best thing for you to do now would be to pick subjects you're interested in studying further, which seems to be the Arts and specifically English.
Keep working at the pace you are now and you will go on to doing great things.

Thanks for your reply, yes i think getting the head of sixth form to talk to my mother could help. Btw if I studied Eng lit, Eng lang, history and politics would that be a good combination for Literature? Also how is Law doing considering job prospects if you know?
Reply 29

I disagree. Whilst I respect them, vocational degree's are not for everyone. They lead to very narrow job prospects - in most cases, just one, with slight variation. Getting a more broad degree, such as English, Politics, Biology etc opens way to a range of potential career paths. It depends on the person entirely. Some people are fixed on career paths, others aren't.
As someone who is currently studying for an English degree, I can say with absolute certainty that NOT everyone who studies this wants to be a professor one day.
I certainly don't, and I don't know anyone who does want to.

Jobs that are linked directly to English are tough to come by and are hard to get into, I'll admit. But that does not meant that jobs prospects are awful. But jobs that are not directly linked to English are by all means not the only jobs that are open to us.

At the end of the day, it's a choice between OP studying a course where they're happy or a course where they will hate and resent the fact that they did it because they felt pressured into doing it by parents/society.

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is your course? And what kind of jobs are expected of your course? Also are English related p.h.D's funded for? Sorry for all the questions
Original post by Masooda
I disagree. Whilst I respect them, vocational degree's are not for everyone. They lead to very narrow job prospects - in most cases, just one, with slight variation. Getting a more broad degree, such as English, Politics, Biology etc opens way to a range of potential career paths. It depends on the person entirely. Some people are fixed on career paths, others aren't.

I was thinking that, also couldn't one get into journalism by having an English degree?
Tell them that there prospects in English you can become s teacher and teach the subject to teenagers, a lot of people do a degree in English and then end up in a completely different career path journalism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Thanks for your reply, yes i think getting the head of sixth form to talk to my mother could help. Btw if I studied Eng lit, Eng lang, history and politics would that be a good combination for Literature? Also how is Law doing considering job prospects if you know?

I wouldn't recommend studying English literature and then English language too at A level, as one grade in English will suffice and would look more impressive if you studied another subject. Apart from that, sounds like a decent combination.

I have no idea, sorry.
If not English, what Xcactly do they want you to study ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They say that I won't get a job with that degree and it's not as respectable as, say, medicine or engineering.

Well, you probably won't get a job with just an English Lit degree.

Do they know you want to be a teacher, perhaps following your degree with a PGCE?
Yes you're right, I would hate a science related job. As much as I hate doubting myself right now, is it just possible that my mother speaks some truth when she says that i dont know what i want and if i study Eng Lit, half way I will change my mind? I'd like to think I wouldn't. But I have always been good at English.

If it's any help, I did a year doing Radiography, partly because, coming from a science-y family, I felt like I was expected to do. I hated it. I switched to English after one year and wish I hadn't been so stupid and done English from the word go.

If English s something you genuinely enjoy and love to do and you're good at it, I don't see why you'd regret it and change your mind later. :smile:
Original post by Masooda
I wouldn't recommend studying English literature and then English language too at A level, as one grade in English will suffice and would look more impressive if you studied another subject. Apart from that, sounds like a decent combination.

I have no idea, sorry.

Ok thank you for your reply, and it's cool
If it's any help, I did a year doing Radiography, partly because, coming from a science-y family, I felt like I was expected to do. I hated it. I switched to English after one year and wish I hadn't been so stupid and done English from the word go.

If English s something you genuinely enjoy and love to do and you're good at it, I don't see why you'd regret it and change your mind later. :smile:

I may regret it if I end up unemployed though ::frown:( Thanks for your reply :smile:
They say that I won't get a job with that degree and it's not as respectable as, say, medicine or engineering.

listen to your parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending