The Student Room Group

Dentistry and dropping a subject

Starting next Monday I will be studying 4 As's. Maths,and all sciences(biology, chemistry and physics) however my school said I need to drop on of my subjects in a2. However my weakness I writing and spelling. I do get extra time for this. And I would really love to be a dentist (to be more exact an orthodontist) but can I do this without taking a2 biology? Or would It be best for me to drop physics and mathematics. My only problem is that physics is my favorite subject and I keep getting told that it would be the least needed in the field I would like to occupy.
Reply 1
When you start a science course I'm pretty sure you can only take the full A level as they have now become linear, unless your school offers science AS's too. So your only option is to drop maths for A2, or drop Biology, as Chemistry is essential and you say physics is your favourite. Queen Mary dentistry school requires Chem OR Bio so it'll be okay to drop Bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
It looks like im going to have to drop maths, because if I drop biology im going to be very dependant on getting into one university. But thankyou for your advice :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have been told by a Dental student in QMUL that they highly highly recommend me not to drop Chemistry or Biology. Out of their whole year only one person studying Dentistry has only dropped on of either Chemistry or Biology and that was Biology. Also they said that the first year would have been very hard had they have dropped Biology.

I want to drop Chemistry but am not sure if I should keep Physics. I am studying the exact same things, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I have achieved 4 A's at AS levels.
Original post by Bianca Navey
Starting next Monday I will be studying 4 As's. Maths,and all sciences(biology, chemistry and physics) however my school said I need to drop on of my subjects in a2. However my weakness I writing and spelling. I do get extra time for this. And I would really love to be a dentist (to be more exact an orthodontist) but can I do this without taking a2 biology? Or would It be best for me to drop physics and mathematics. My only problem is that physics is my favorite subject and I keep getting told that it would be the least needed in the field I would like to occupy.
it looks like you've not done research properly, you need A at A2 levels in bio and chemistry, otherwise no university will consider you at all!
Some will, and I have I know I need an 3 A's in most universities but that's why I asked if there is an leniency as I know Queen mary's only ask for bio or chem. Not both. I want to study at Leeds so I guess dropping maths would be the better option im
Original post by whynot2014
it looks like you've not done research properly, you need A at A2 levels in bio and chemistry, otherwise no university will consider you at all!
Original post by Susta1nz
I have been told by a Dental student in QMUL that they highly highly recommend me not to drop Chemistry or Biology. Out of their whole year only one person studying Dentistry has only dropped on of either Chemistry or Biology and that was Biology. Also they said that the first year would have been very hard had they have dropped Biology.

I want to drop Chemistry but am not sure if I should keep Physics. I am studying the exact same things, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I have achieved 4 A's at AS levels.

I find biology the hardest, simply because of writing and reading I am going to the Leeds open day next weekend(Saturday 12th) i'll let you know if I get any more information. I hope it helps us both
Original post by Bianca Navey
I find biology the hardest, simply because of writing and reading I am going to the Leeds open day next weekend(Saturday 12th) i'll let you know if I get any more information. I hope it helps us both
I know this and I'm 100% sure, but it will fine for you :smile:
Applying for dentistry at QMUL, King's, Dundee and Queen's Belfast.
GCSES 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS AABB (RS, Chemistry, Maths, Biology)
A2 predictions A*AA (RS, Chemistry, Maths)
UKCAT today.
EPQ on lung cancer, Grade A
Volunteering at Centre of the Cell, 2 weeks work exp at a care home, work exp at The royal london hospital in the anaesthetic dept. in November plus dental shadowing.

Any suggestions/comments? (sorry for spamming every dentistry thread possible)
Original post by Sunshine98
Applying for dentistry at QMUL, King's, Dundee and Queen's Belfast.
GCSES 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS AABB (RS, Chemistry, Maths, Biology)
A2 predictions A*AA (RS, Chemistry, Maths)
UKCAT today.
EPQ on lung cancer, Grade A
Volunteering at Centre of the Cell, 2 weeks work exp at a care home, work exp at The royal london hospital in the anaesthetic dept. in November plus dental shadowing.

Any suggestions/comments? (sorry for spamming every dentistry thread possible)
please come back with your ukcat score

Quick Reply

Latest