The Student Room Group

EPQ

So I was properly introduced to the EPQ on the first day of sixth form, and it was sold as an "a-level in whatever you want". I really wanted to do Economics but my school dropped the option so I was thinking of doing an EPQ in the form of an essay/presentation/video on developing economies because I am incredibly interested in that topic, and I feel it would help boost my application to study Business or Economics for a RG.

Is it worth it? Is my idea for it good?

If my idea is okay, I'm thinking of doing two countries - India and Nigeria. Should I compare or should I just do one?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
So I was properly introduced to the EPQ on the first day of sixth form, and it was sold as an "a-level in whatever you want". I really wanted to do Economics but my school dropped the option so I was thinking of doing an EPQ in the form of an essay/presentation/video on developing economies because I am incredibly interested in that topic, and I feel it would help boost my application to study Business or Economics for a RG.

Is it worth it? Is my idea for it good?

If my idea is okay, I'm thinking of doing two countries - India and Nigeria. Should I compare or should I just do one?

Hi,

I've done the EPQ so will share my own experience. It is not another A-level. It is a qualification, however. You can write it on your personal statement so it will make your application look better. Whether it is worth it or not you can't really tell because you don't know for sure what contributes to the university's decision.

If you are interested in that topic then certainly go for it. It will make it easier for you to research on it because it interests you. It is up to you what you want to research but just make sure that the question you are researching is not too broad. That is the advice we were given when doing it.

Good luck with your EPQ and hope I helped!
Angel pretty much said a lot, you choose the topic and you research on it. With my EPQ its not related to the uni course I want to take (my EPQ is related to space but I want to do civil engineering) however you will learn certain skills from the project that will be needed during uni years so that's another favorable part for when unis see you doing it. I know that Manchester, Liverpool and Southampton (especially Southampton, they have some EPQ system for grades where they may give 2 offers one which will contain the EPQ grade) like it, it depends on the uni because some will view it differently.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest