The Student Room Group

How is A level Edexcel Maths structured?

Hi, I have just began my A-levels in Maths and Further Maths, both under Edexcel, and I was wondering how both subjects were structured in terms of what exams are coming up in the next two years?

I currently have a Core Mathematics 1 book on Maths and a Mechanics 1 book on Further Maths, so I am expecting exams in C1 and M1. But when I searched online I noticed there's M2, M3, M4... How many exams do I have altogether for AS and A2 in Maths and Further Maths how significant is each exam?

Thank you! And I hope you are having a wonderful night! :smile:
Hi, so in the first year of Normal Maths you'll do 3 modules, for me, I am doing C1, C2 and S1, and in the first year of further maths I am doing FP1, D1 and S2, ask your teachers. :smile:
Original post by Edwarric
Hi, I have just began my A-levels in Maths and Further Maths, both under Edexcel, and I was wondering how both subjects were structured in terms of what exams are coming up in the next two years?

I currently have a Core Mathematics 1 book on Maths and a Mechanics 1 book on Further Maths, so I am expecting exams in C1 and M1. But when I searched online I noticed there's M2, M3, M4... How many exams do I have altogether for AS and A2 in Maths and Further Maths how significant is each exam?

Thank you! And I hope you are having a wonderful night! :smile:

For the full A level in both you will study 12 units and take 12 exams each of which is equally weighted (unless you are taking the international A level)
For maths you must take Core maths units 1-4 and then select 2 applied units that may be mechanics 1&2, statistics 1&2, decision 1&2 or 2 from M1/S1/D1.
For further maths you must do FP1 and Either FP2 or 3 (or both) plus any others that you haven't done in maths.
You would normally do AS maths (C1&2 plus M/S/D1) and AS further maths (FP1 plus 2 others) in year 12 and then complete the two A levels in year 13. Some schools do the full maths A level in one year and then the further maths A level in the second year.
As long as your exam entries are done correctly, your unit results will be combined together within the rules of the specification to maximise your overall grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending