The Student Room Group

These Oxbridge courses are a joke...

Regarding all these schemes such as Personal Statement help, taster courses, summer schools etc etc...

Why on earth would an eligibility criteria be GCSE A*s.... They show absolutely no level of ability when put alongside AS level grades, yet I'm unable to apply to any of these courses (despite being in receipt of bursary, free school meals etc.). My GCSE results put me about 20th in my non-selective state school, yet my AS results put me 1st, comfortably. Yet, apparently the GCSE's are more important. Argh it's ridiculous, needs to change before similar students to me go through the same crap.

My question is why, why cannot it not just be something they strongly consider, instead of it being a necessity?! I can't apply for anything Oxbridge with my 2A*s at GCSE and rest A's, yet my AS results put me in a position to apply competitively to any University I choose. Hope this doesn't happen to others and I'm just unlucky that the importance of GCSE's was never stressed to me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Why on earth would an eligibility criteria be GCSE A*s.... They show absolutely no level of ability when put alongside AS level grades, yet I'm unable to apply to any of these courses (despite being in receipt of bursary, free school meals etc.). My GCSE results put me about 20th in my non-selective state school, yet my AS results put me 1st, comfortably. Yet, apparently the GCSE's are more important. Argh it's ridiculous, needs to change before similar students to me go through the same crap.

My question is why, why cannot it not just be something they strongly consider, instead of it being a necessity?! I can't apply for anything Oxbridge with my 2A*s at GCSE and rest A's, yet my AS results put me in a position to apply competitively to any University I choose. Hope this doesn't happen to others and I'm just unlucky that the importance of GCSE's was never stressed to me.

Where does it say they require A*s? The average Oxbridge applicant may have a lot but as Cambridge say...

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

*http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Oxford may look at them more, but given your extenuating circumstances and AS Levels you are still in a good place.

Oxford says that their research shows that GCSE performance is a better indicator of potential for their courses than AS results - I doubt they'd be making that up since it's in their interest to get the best applicants! Having said that, there is no A* requirement for GCSEs at Oxford (the only exception being Medicine where there's an informal requirement) - only having 2A*s will put you at a disadvantage for sure, but you can still apply. Having said that, you may have a better shot at Cambridge if your AS UMS is high since Cambridge isn't too bothered about GCSEs.
(edited 8 years ago)
My question is why, why cannot it not just be something they strongly consider, instead of it being a necessity?!

That's exactly what it is.

There is no GCSE A* requirement, I got a place with no A*s at GCSE.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
There is no GCSE A* requirement, I got a place with no A*s at GCSE.

Original post by Infraspecies

Original post by Plagioclase
Oxford says that their research shows that GCSE performance is a better indicator of potential for their courses than AS results - I doubt they'd be making that up since it's in their interest to get the best applicants! Having said that, there is no A* requirement for GCSEs at Oxford (the only exception being Medicine where there's an informal requirement) - only having 2A*s will put you at a disadvantage for sure, but you can still apply. Having said that, you may have a better shot at Cambridge if your AS UMS is high since Cambridge isn't too bothered about GCSEs.

Original post by ThatPerson2
Where does it say they require A*s? The average Oxbridge applicant may have a lot but as Cambridge say...

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

*http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Oxford may look at them more, but given your extenuating circumstances and AS Levels you are still in a good place.

Okay evidently my written communication skills suck.

I mean these "courses" like UNIQ Summer School and Personal Statement help and taster courses etc. etc. etc.

I mean these "courses" like UNIQ Summer School and Personal Statement help and taster courses etc. etc. etc.

But UNIQ is for Year 12s so you wouldn't have been able to supply your AS results anyway?
Original post by Infraspecies

For Cambridge that might even be putting it a bit too highly if they're in the context of strong AS UMS scores.
Reply 8

UNIQ and such are before you get AS results - they go on the only discriminators they have which are GCSEs.

That does not bode well for your personal statement.
Lol this thread just proves how useless TSR is, just read the replies lol.
Reply 11

You asked why you needed 3A*s to go to Oxbridge, we explained that you didn't. Then you asked why you needed them to go on personal statement and summer schools, and we explained why you did. The only thing useless here is your inability to realise that what you may have read about Oxbridge is not necessarily right - on your profile it says you need to get 97% or above for maths or compsci - you don't. You really don't.

What do you want? You asked us a question, many people answered you correctly, you then told us that you asked the wrong question and several people gave you correct answers to the new question. Seriously, what else do you want?
Reply 13
You literally can apply to Cambridge?? :colonhash:
Why are all these Oxbridge applicants unable to go on google and find out the entrance requirements. I mean seriously, its not that difficult.
Original post by RayApparently
Why are all these Oxbridge applicants unable to go on google and find out the entrance requirements. I mean seriously, its not that difficult.

It's not just them. Don't even get me started on the threads like 'Do I have enough A*s to apply to Russell Group universities?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
It's not just them. Don't even get me started on the threads like 'Do I have enough A*s to apply to Russell Group universities?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true - and whilst there are times when a question like that can be valid - someone might be looking for people's personal experiences or the 'real' thoughts of admissions tutors etc. this one doesn't fit into that category.
Reply 17
Original post by RayApparently

If you can't do this then you're not good enough for Oxbridge anyway...
Original post by Tahret
If you can't do this then you're not good enough for Oxbridge anyway...

Research skills lol

Just a couple of points:

1) GCSE results correlate with attainment at degree level, hence they use it as a measure of ability.
2) Oxford contextualises you're results
3) GCSEs are combine with your aptitude test score to select the top 70% ish of applicants for interview, after that your interview and aptitude test performance matters most.
4) I got 2 A*s at GCSE and I'm a second year student at Oxford :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending