The Student Room Group

Personal statement is making me go crazy?

I want to apply for this course- but it it's only in one university in the whole of the UK and it's my top choice. I can't cater it to two different degrees and it's stressing me out!

Everyone kept trying to convince me to apply to Oxford and now I have my heart set on it and I'd love to do Material Sciences there, but I got AAAB in AS and the B is in Chemistry - I also, stupidly, didn't realise how much effort it would take to create a statement that works for two degrees (that are similar, but not completely).

Plus, everytime I read my statement, it looks cheesier and cheesier and it cringes me out. This is probably more difficult than my exams..
Original post by ChronicBoredom
I want to apply for this course- but it it's only in one university in the whole of the UK and it's my top choice. I can't cater it to two different degrees and it's stressing me out!

Everyone kept trying to convince me to apply to Oxford and now I have my heart set on it and I'd love to do Material Sciences there, but I got AAAB in AS and the B is in Chemistry - I also, stupidly, didn't realise how much effort it would take to create a statement that works for two degrees (that are similar, but not completely).

Plus, everytime I read my statement, it looks cheesier and cheesier and it cringes me out. This is probably more difficult than my exams..

I'm confused, what two degrees are you talking about? Materials Science and what else? Just to make sure you're aware, whilst Materials Science is a pretty niche course, there are still a number of universities other than Oxford that offer it (such as Imperial).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm confused, what two degrees are you talking about? Materials Science and what else? Just to make sure you're aware, whilst Materials Science is a pretty niche course, there are still a number of universities other than Oxford that offer it (such as Imperial).

Because the other course is at Imperial!
(edited 8 years ago)
Because the other course is at Imperial! Design Engineering

Do you're applying for 4x Materials and 1x Design?
Do you're applying for 4x Materials and 1x Design?

Well I have to sort out my personal statement first! :smile:
Well I have to sort out my personal statement first! :smile:

No, I'm asking if you're intending to apply for 4x Materials 1x Design or if it's the other way around. I need to know what you're applying for before I can advise you about your personal statement!
No, I'm asking if you're intending to apply for 4x Materials 1x Design or if it's the other way around. I need to know what you're applying for before I can advise you about your personal statement!

Yes, I am. But if it wasn't possible, I wanted to apply for general engineering
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, I am. But if it wasn't possible, I wanted to apply for general engineering as well as design

Honestly, the best advice you're probably going to get is "Don't". Materials Science and Design Engineering aren't really close enough to write a convincing personal statement for both, definitely not if you're applying to places like Oxford and Imperial. If you were applying for Design Engineering and General Engineering then I'd say "Fine, do a Design Engineering personal statement and the General Engineering admissions tutors will understand that this is what you've applied for everywhere else and will accept that" but Design Engineering and Materials Science aren't even taught by the same university departments.

The only possible way I could imagine you could get past this is by doing a personal statement for Materials Science (this only works if you're applying for 4 Materials Science courses) and then asking Imperial if you can write a special personal statement for Design Engineering which they might understand since it's such a unique course. But you definitely should not attempt to combine General/Design Engineering and Materials Science in one personal statement, I think that's potentially a huge risk.
Honestly, the best advice you're probably going to get is "Don't". Materials Science and Design Engineering aren't really close enough to write a convincing personal statement for both, definitely not if you're applying to places like Oxford and Imperial.

Yeah it just shows that you don't know what you want to study and gives the impression that you are just going to university for the sake of getting a degree; not actually being genuinely interested in your subject. I'm not saying they're like that, but it does give that impression.
Honestly, the best advice you're probably going to get is "Don't". Materials Science and Design Engineering aren't really close enough to write a convincing personal statement for both, definitely not if you're applying to places like Oxford and Imperial. If you were applying for Design Engineering and General Engineering then I'd say "Fine, do a Design Engineering personal statement and the General Engineering admissions tutors will understand that this is what you've applied for everywhere else and will accept that" but Design Engineering and Materials Science aren't even taught by the same university departments.

The only possible way I could imagine you could get past this is by doing a personal statement for Materials Science (this only works if you're applying for 4 Materials Science courses) and then asking Imperial if you can write a special personal statement for Design Engineering which they might understand since it's such a unique course. But you definitely should not attempt to combine General/Design Engineering and Materials Science in one personal statement, I think that's potentially a huge risk.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think they would allow me to write a seperate personal statement?
Thanks for the advice! Do you think they would allow me to write a seperate personal statement?

I genuinely don't know but I think the Design Engineering course would be more likely than most to accept a separate personal statement because it's a very unique course and doesn't really exist anywhere else so they'd probably be more understanding. Send them an email to ask.

Noone even looks at them. Especially not at Oxford. They know very well that teachers and websites give so much help to students they can create perfect PS's. Just list impressive things you did and don't worry too much.
I genuinely don't know but I think the Design Engineering course would be more likely than most to accept a separate personal statement because it's a very unique course and doesn't really exist anywhere else so they'd probably be more understanding. Send them an email to ask.

Ok! Thank you very much!!
Original post by LibertyMan
Noone even looks at them. Especially not at Oxford. They know very well that teachers and websites give so much help to students they can create perfect PS's. Just list impressive things you did and don't worry too much.

Lol, really?!

I think a lot of people would disagree-where did you get this intel from?

That's not true, my personal statement was mentioned a huge amount during my science interviews at Oxford and was probably the basis for around two thirds of the conversation...

Lol, really?!I think a lot of people would disagree-where did you get this intel from?
It's not true. It's true that it's not as important as it would be for somewhere that doesn't interview but to claim that it's irrelevant is just wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol, really?!

I think a lot of people would disagree-where did you get this intel from?

That's not true, my personal statement was mentioned a huge amount during my science interviews at Oxford and was probably the basis for around two thirds of the conversation...

It's not true. It's true that it's not as important as it would be for somewhere that doesn't interview but to claim that it's irrelevant is just wrong.

I meant that it's important WHAT you put in it, and what you want to discuss (e.g work experience, books you read) but not phrasing, writing style or anything like that.
I meant that it's important WHAT you put in it, and what you want to discuss (e.g work experience, books you read) but not phrasing, writing style or anything like that.

It's definitely true that content is more important than style (although you need to be very careful that you're explaining why experiences have been useful rather than just listing which is absolutely useless) although I wouldn't say that style is irrelevant, obviously your personal statement needs to be readable and it doesn't harm if it gives them a reason to remember you.

Oh haha, ok yeah of course. Im not really struggling with phrasing or writing- at least I dont think I am

What was your personal statement like- I don't really know quite what to cover- can you give me a breakdown of yours for what you wrote in each paragraph by any chance?

Ahh, did you get into Oxford??
What was your personal statement like- I don't really know quite what to cover- can you give me a breakdown of yours for what you wrote in each paragraph by any chance?

Ahh, did you get into Oxford??

You can find my personal statement here although TSR's Personal Statement Builder will probably be more useful for you. And yes, fortunately!

Quick Reply

Latest