The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi I wondered if any one could give me any advice on what I should do. I finished college in June last year and due to a medical condition I missed a lot of college and got grades CCD in biology, psychology and chemistry. I couldn't go back to college this year and re-sit as I had to have an operation, which I am still recovering from now. I would like to go back in september for a year and re-take to get grades AAA, and then apply. But I also have a C in my GCSE english, so if I re-sat my A-levels and got these grades would I be rejected anyway because of the C. If so could I also re-take the english as well? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Amanda :smile:
Reply 1
Check on uni websites for GCSE requirements. Theres a few that want a B in English but have a look at prospectuses to find out. If that is the case, it may be beneficial to retake it. As for your A levels, the universities will be very understanding. Explain the reasons for you having to retake the year and because of the fact that it was a medical condition which stopped you performing to the best of your ability, they wont be allowed to discriminate. As long as you get the grades, you should be viewed equally to everyone else! I have great respect for you for not letting this beat u and making the effort to go for it and achieve what you want! Good luck!!!
Reply 2
As long as you have A/A* at GCSE for science and get AAA at A-level, you probably should be fine with the C at GCSE English. I would phone up a couple of uni's though and explain your situation. They will be able to tell you how likely you would be to get in straight away. Also, as Tiny Tiger said, most uni's are likely to be understanding about your a-level's and medical condition.
xxxxx
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice. I've spoken to glasgow so far and they said my chemistry grade is too low at the first attempt, so they wouldn't consider me, but I'm going to contact the other uni's and hope they will. xxxxx
Reply 4
im would like to say that what the say to you, and what they say on their website is NOT HONEST! i got a B in higher chemistry, the website says it MUST be an A. and when i phoned they said that i wouldnt be considered because of the B in chemistry, even if i did the Advanced Higher and got an A!
But i applied anyway and got interviews. . . they just try to discourage people to see how determined they are.
lucyrobyn
they just try to discourage people to see how determined they are.

I think that's fairly true... I got a D in As Chem (long story short my teacher left and we had to teach ourselves module 2 basically, and i didnt make a good job of it:smile: ) I wrote to the uni's first as soon as i got my results explaining the reason and about resitting. I was discouraged by my teachers and had to fight to convince them to up my target grades (Which I'm well on the way to achieving) and I applied anyway.
I even got an interview and pooled from cambridge with those grades, and now have an offer from Nottingham, and am waiting to here from the RVC.
I did have a really good reference letter from one of the practices I did work exp with. I think if you can get to interview and can show them how totally determined and the potential you have and how hard you are working, some schools are more flexible about the whole AAAA thing. AAAA doesn't always make a good vet. It just helps alot lol :biggrin:
Reply 6
I got BBC in my a levels, and contacted the vet schools that I had applied to to see if they would reconsider me (edinburgh, glasgow, bristol and liverpool.) All of them said no - that they wouldn't look at retakes in all three a levels, and that there were 'enough people who got high enough grades to start with, without having to look at other people.' I had been ill from my last year of school with a back problem - which later turned out to be a spinal bone tumour. I had managed AAB until the last set of exams in June of my A2 year, but which point I was in so much pain, and so drugged up that I really messed them up. I had an operation soon after, which sorted it all out, and I'm fine now, but even with letters from my doctor, consultant, etc they wouldn't consider me.

I don't mean to try and discourage you, but I would strongly advise that you make sure you contact the unis explain the situation and are sure that they would def consider you (make sure you explain about your GCSE results as well), other wise you could risk spending a lot of time and effort redoing them for them to say no at the end of it.
Reply 7
Hi

I am in a similar situation to you. I also need to re-take my GCSE english and A-levels and I contacted RVC, liverpool, bristol and nottingham who have all said that if I was to be predicted AAA, retook my english and have a letter from my doctor explaining then they would consider me. Try emailing them, good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending