The Student Room Group

Eligibility - Maintenance Grant

Hi, I've just started my PGCE course and recently received the first installment of my maintenance grant. However, I am not sure if I am actually eligible for the grant. My income for the past two years has been £6,000 per annum (benefits including housing benefit). I have no savings or otger sources of income; I live alone and am aged 26. Originally I applied fir the special support grant as I thought I might be entitled to it with being in receipt of housing benefit. But then the SLC asked me to send evidence of the fact that I would be receiving housing benefit during my studies and I realised that actually I don't qualify for the SSG because I won't be in receiot of HB during my studies (I will be receiving a £12,000 teaching bursary). So I wrote to the SLC by snail mail asking them to cancel the grant and they seem to have ignored that letter. I didn't send in the required evidence and assumed that they would automatically cancel my grant. When I phoned the SLC to explain all of this, the advisor said that the SSG will have defaulted into a maintenance grant and he said that I am eligible for that regardless of the teaching bursary. I just wanted to check if any of you know if receipt of a teaching bursary affects eligibility for the maintenance grant? Has anybody else been in the same situation?
Original post by Sciteach
Hi, I've just started my PGCE course and recently received the first installment of my maintenance grant. However, I am not sure if I am actually eligible for the grant. My income for the past two years has been £6,000 per annum (benefits including housing benefit). I have no savings or otger sources of income; I live alone and am aged 26. Originally I applied fir the special support grant as I thought I might be entitled to it with being in receipt of housing benefit. But then the SLC asked me to send evidence of the fact that I would be receiving housing benefit during my studies and I realised that actually I don't qualify for the SSG because I won't be in receiot of HB during my studies (I will be receiving a £12,000 teaching bursary). So I wrote to the SLC by snail mail asking them to cancel the grant and they seem to have ignored that letter. I didn't send in the required evidence and assumed that they would automatically cancel my grant. When I phoned the SLC to explain all of this, the advisor said that the SSG will have defaulted into a maintenance grant and he said that I am eligible for that regardless of the teaching bursary. I just wanted to check if any of you know if receipt of a teaching bursary affects eligibility for the maintenance grant? Has anybody else been in the same situation?

I can't be sure whether the teaching bursary affects how much SF you recieve, but even if it did, at £12,000, you'd still be eligible for the maximum grant anyway.
Reply 2
Thanks - I think I will email the SLC as well just to cover all bases. They don't have a central email address for general enquiries though, they only have complaints and appeals. :-S
Original post by Sciteach
Thanks - I think I will email the SLC as well just to cover all bases. They don't have a central email address for general enquiries though, they only have complaints and appeals. :-S

You have to phone if you want an answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending