The Student Room Group

Russell Group vs Non- Russel Group

If you get a degree at a Russel Group university and lets say some else goes to a non Russel Group and gets the same degree in that profession e.g law. Then what difference does it make?
Original post by AR679
If you get a degree at a Russel Group university and lets say some else goes to a non Russel Group and gets the same degree in that profession e.g law. Then what difference does it make?

It can make a difference, some elite law firms (particularly in London) recruit from a handful of universities, in particular the Russell Group universities. Moreover, say someone who goes to a non Russell Group university studying law, say with entry requirements of ABB, unless you have grades of AAB (what most Russell Group universities expect as a bare minimum), then it's very likely that the person will be filtered out of the application process. Since, some law firms have entry requirements, so you need X amount of UCAS points. From what I know, some firms ask for a minimum of AAB at A-Level. By going to a Russell Group university, the majority of the students won't have to worry about such entry requirements, since most of them either meet or exceed it.
It depends on what Russell group and what none russel group unis.
Usually law firms target RG universities, however according to the statistics there is quite significant percentage of trainees from non-RGs as well (mostly 1994s though). It also depends on the type of law firm, for example: University of Leicester provides more trainees to regional law firms than Warwick, Oxford and Durham, while Warwick, Oxford and Durham send more trainees into city firms.
Reply 4
Original post by england100
It can make a difference, some elite law firms (particularly in London) recruit from a handful of universities, in particular the Russell Group universities. Moreover, say someone who goes to a non Russell Group university studying law, say with entry requirements of ABB, unless you have grades of AAB (what most Russell Group universities expect as a bare minimum), then it's very likely that the person will be filtered out of the application process. Since, some law firms have entry requirements, so you need X amount of UCAS points. From what I know, some firms ask for a minimum of AAB at A-Level. By going to a Russell Group university, the majority of the students won't have to worry about such entry requirements, since most of them either meet or exceed it.

Plenty of Law schools in the top 40 want +AAB and are not in the Russell group eg Lancaster, UEA, Reading, being at UEA i have met many people who have AAA+,this is the case at many law schools but i see what you are trying to say about the russell groups (asides from Liverpool) asking for ABB+. The filter does exist, but law firms look at a levels holistically so if you have lower grades (not UUU level) you will have a shot always (maybe less so with large city firms). Example someone at Kent got ABC, applied to Hogan Lovells who ask for AAB i believe, they would still have a solid shot as i know people who have training contracts with lower grades than the firms ask. Elite firms ask for AAB like you said but also there are a handful (large handful) of law firms that want ABB,BBB or even no a levels (eg Slaughter and May.)
Original post by Joepoa
Plenty of Law schools in the top 40 want +AAB and are not in the Russell group eg Lancaster, UEA, Reading, being at UEA i have met many people who have AAA+,this is the case at many law schools but i see what you are trying to say about the russell groups (asides from Liverpool) asking for ABB+. The filter does exist, but law firms look at a levels holistically so if you have lower grades (not UUU level) you will have a shot always (maybe less so with large city firms). Example someone at Kent got ABC, applied to Hogan Lovells who ask for AAB i believe, they would still have a solid shot as i know people who have training contracts with lower grades than the firms ask. Elite firms ask for AAB like you said but also there are a handful (large handful) of law firms that want ABB,BBB or even no a levels (eg Slaughter and May.)

I suppose I was referring to the more elite firms, I don't particularly agree with the system, but that's the law profession for you; very elites. The best way to get a training contract would be to go to a top law school, yes, it's possible to get a TC from a lesser so-called prestigious law school; but to try to increase your chances, the better the university the better your chances; sadly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
If you can go to a Russell Group uni for Law, go for it. Law is a very elitist and competitive profession and so going to the right uni matters, so you should be aiming for a Russell Group uni. If you were to go to a non RG uni for Law, Leicester would be one of your best options. Those at RG unis will have the required grades the good city firms including Magic Circle want AAB and higher. That is also why the good firms target RG unis because they know they will have plenty of students who have what they want.
Reply 7
hey, do u think law degree from Birkbeck is respected? I am planning to do my degree there
Reply 8
Original post by HanisK
hey, do u think law degree from Birkbeck is respected? I am planning to do my degree there

If comparing against Russell Group universities not really I am afraid, particularly if you wish to work for a big city/Magic circle law firm. For barristers chambers there is also a strong preference to those who attended Oxbridge/Russell Group as they tend to have high academic requirements so can guarantee a standard of quality from applicants who have studied there. Law is unfortunately snobby in that respect and as you should know already, very very competitive as a profession. I will be doing Law at a Russell Group uni in September and during my research and what I was told when applying it was made very clear of how important it is to go to Oxbridge or a Russell Group uni for Law, if you have the grades to of course. I am making no assumptions as to your grades in your decision to go to Birbeck, but from looking at their course it I see you must need to have the equivalent of 300 UCAS points, which equates to around BBB at A level. As results themselves they are good but in the view of the legal profession are not viewed as strong grades. Most RG unis require AAB and above, and plenty of applicants will have straight As and above.

You will probably still be able to go into the legal profession with a degree from Birbeck, but giving the competition, most likely not a big city/Magic Circle law firm. So good luck as the world of law is not just big city firms and the Magic circle, I must stress that!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HanisK

Birkbeck is a highly respected university, even if it's not Russell Group. It's part of University of London, and that's where your degree would come from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending