The Student Room Group

Racism in the north east

Not sure I am posting this in the right place but anyway..

Originally, I am from North London but my Dad moved up here for work years ago. Nowadays I work in Newcastle, London and Edinburgh.

Me and one of my friends here in Newcastle are both mixed heritage, (me: German and Chinese) (him: Polish and Egyptian) and we were discussing the racism problem the other day. I get racially insulted by randomers every time I am in the nightlife scene in Newcastle, it is very different to London, almost like it is 20 years behind culturally. Many, many, guys do genuinely all dress and behave like they are from Geordie Shore, many do seem like they are preparing for a 90s boyband audition.

We do think that this type of difference between north and south is not brought up because it would flare up the north/south divide questions. But I do really see it being there because I have a much more comfortable time in London than I do in Newcastle. Edinburgh is also fine.

Also some of the things I have heard others have suffered with is incredible. My friend's father is a taxi driver and even though he is Egyptian he gets called racial insults directed at black people, in Newcastle. Now, I am not saying all Geordies are like this. But it is not as friendly as people say it is, non of the north really is... it just does not have the "world city" mentality that London has.

Problem is, yes, it does hurt to be insulted by random people. And unfortunately it has been this way for a long time. There are good guys and girls I go out with. But for example, if I am dating a girl and I get insulted by some random drunk in Newcastle, it just hurts... and its just awkward you know? But yeah, not all northerners are like that obviously.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are talking ****. I have never seen anybody be racially abused in public (day or night) in Newcastle. And I have lived around here for 20 years.

And you find racist people all over the country. Not just the north east. Congrats though :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TwinnyP
You are talking ****. I have never seen anybody be racially abuse in public (day or night) in Newcastle. And I have lived around here for 20 years.

And you find racist people all over the country. Not just the north east. Congrats though :lol:

This. Being Asian and all, racists exist all over the world tbh. It's not localised in certain areas..
I've noticed it as well. From Stoke upwards really.
Original post by TwinnyP
You are talking ****. I have never seen anybody be racially abused in public (day or night) in Newcastle. And I have lived around here for 20 years.

Just because you haven't experienced racism doesn't mean other people haven't.
Racists are everywhere, you probs realise it more cos you're in a new environment :s-smilie: sorry you had to go through it m8.
Reply 6
Original post by The_Internet
This. Being Asian and all, racists exist all over the world tbh. It's not localised in certain areas..

There is a street known as CHINA TOWN about 200 yards from St James Park. If Geordies hate different races that much, why do they have their own street? :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum

So because he apparently has experienced racism, that means the north east is worse than London :lol:

Also, I think my 20 years is a bigger catchment area than his "few years". So surely I should have experienced public racism at least once, considering he endures it daily???
Original post by TwinnyP
There is a street known as CHINA TOWN about 200 yards from St James Park. If Geordies hate different races that much, why do they have their own street? :lol:

Because it's a local business district. Nothing to do with racial attitudes.

Keep trolling.
Reply 9
Because it's a local business district. Nothing to do with racial attitudes.

Keep trolling.

Can't be a business district with shops and restaurants, we don't like Chinese people mate.

If anybody is trolling its the OP. He's a douche.
Original post by TwinnyP
So because he apparently has experienced racism, that means the north east is worse than London :lol:

Also, I think my 20 years is a bigger catchment area than his "few years". So surely I should have experienced public racism at least once, considering he endures it daily???

I agree, his personal experiences obviously is not a sound basis to claim that the North East is worse than London.

Yes, 20 years is a longer time, but he was referring to the nightlife scene, where inevitable, the worst of the worst come out to play, get drunk, and spew racist insults.

He didn't say he endures racism daily. he did say that he experiences racism everytime he goes out.

Not sure whether that's an exaggeration, or the actual truth though.
I agree, his personal experiences obviously is not a sound basis to claim that the North East is worse than London.

Yes, 20 years is a longer time, but he was referring to the nightlife scene, where inevitable, the worst of the worst come out to play, get drunk, and spew racist insults.

He didn't say he endures racism daily. he did say that he experiences racism everytime he goes out.

It's quite clearly an exaggeration :lol: He's just as likely to be insulted in Newcastle, as he would in London, Cardiff, Liverpool or Leeds. It's boring to even pretend it's worse in the north :lol:
Original post by TwinnyP
Can't be a business district with shops and restaurants, we don't like Chinese people mate.

Just saying, some of the most racist bastards I've ever met loved nothing more than a curry or a Chinese.
Original post by TwinnyP

Nothing happens during the day... it's the night. If you have not seen racism on a night then you are crazy or not hearing/seeing things. You can come out with me on a night and see it for yourself.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Just saying, some of the most racist bastards I've ever met loved nothing more than a curry or a Chinese.

And some of them love a cup of tea and collecting their pensions. Because it was acceptable in their day etc etc etc
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Nothing happens during the day... it's the night. If you have not seen racism on a night then you are crazy or not hearing/seeing things.

Maybe you are purposely trying to hear these things, instead of trying to have a good time. Nobody would make a b-line for you in-particular, because their are literally hundreds of different races and ethnicities within Newcastle. So why are they singling you out then? :lol:

Unfortunately, it is the truth. Not everytime from randomers, sometimes from people you talk to also.
Original post by TwinnyP

By Asian, I mean south Asian and specifically Pakistani, but yeah the point still stands :smile:
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Unfortunately, it is the truth. Not everytime from randomers, sometimes from people you talk to also.

May I ask what insults you were being called, and in what context?
Original post by TwinnyP

agreed

No, it doesn't mean that at all, but I can't imagine that the NE is less or more racist than the south of England.

Latest

Trending

Trending