The Student Room Group

Any help please?

Hi guys I'm meant to find an experiment regarding the following title:
Investigation into the effect of a named variable ( that I'm meant to find ) on the rate of enzyme controlled reaction.

It is in the style of a general AQA science ISA, meaning I need to have a hypothesis, method, equipment ( justification of each equipment used), variables ( independent and dependant) also the risk assessment ( which i can figure out myself).

The question is does anyone have a clue on where I'm meant to find a good experiment as I really want top marks for my work!
Thank you for the Help, much appreciated please get reply ASAP!!!

P.S I don't want any responses of "use the internet" because I have tried and need help from someone who has a lot of experience in AS biology. Thank you once again.
Reply 1
I am doing the same thing with my AQA exam board tomorrow :smile: I can help you out but can you also answer the following question for me, I really don't understand
Explain the difference between photosynthesis in the light and in the darkness.

As for your experiment, I would recommend using temparature as your independant variable as it will increase the rate at which enzymes do their jobs up until a certain point which is when the enzymes will be destroyed or denatured. At this point (about 35 degrees or more), the enzymes just won't do anything since they are denatured.

After re-reading your question, I have seen that you noted you are doing AS biology. I don't think my response will help you since I am doing Biology in Triple Science as a GCSE. Could you answer my question though?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Hi guys I'm meant to find an experiment regarding the following title:
Investigation into the effect of a named variable ( that I'm meant to find ) on the rate of enzyme controlled reaction.

It is in the style of a general AQA science ISA, meaning I need to have a hypothesis, method, equipment ( justification of each equipment used), variables ( independent and dependant) also the risk assessment ( which i can figure out myself).

The question is does anyone have a clue on where I'm meant to find a good experiment as I really want top marks for my work!
Thank you for the Help, much appreciated please get reply ASAP!!!

P.S I don't want any responses of "use the internet" because I have tried and need help from someone who has a lot of experience in AS biology. Thank you once again.

Enzymes are affected by temperature, concetration gradient (of both substrate and enzyme themselves) and pH.

Using different concentration of substrate/enzyme: at low substrate concentration, the rate of reaction is much slower due to many enzyme active site being available. You could get a sample of sugar solution (e.g. juice), and around 10ml of an enzyme (e.g. maltose). Using 5 test tube, put equal amounts of enzymes (ensure each test tube have equal temperature), and then put the solution of the enzyme in each test tube, and leave for around a minute or whatever time you want (ensure you use the same time for each test tube); then carry out the reducing sugar test to find the concentration of sugar still left. You could also, do the same with the concentration of enzyme (but keep the volume of the juice constant). lso ensure to shake each test tube to let the solution to mix properly.

For temperature: keep the volume of each solution constant for each test tube, but place them at different temeperature within a water bath for a set amount of time. We know that the higher the tenperature, the more kinetic energy the particles will have, hence more collision between enzyme and substrate so more product formed. After finishing each experiment, carry out the reducing test.

Edit: if you dont want to carry the reducing test, you can use a calorimeter as there would be a colour difference after a certain time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sami_L4
I am doing the same thing with my AQA exam board tomorrow :smile: I can help you out but can you also answer the following question for me, I really don't understand
Explain the difference between photosynthesis in the light and in the darkness.

As for your experiment, I would recommend using temparature as your independant variable as it will increase the rate at which enzymes do their jobs up until a certain point which is when the enzymes will be destroyed or denatured. At this point (about 35 degrees or more), the enzymes just won't do anything since they are denatured.

After re-reading your question, I have seen that you noted you are doing AS biology. I don't think my response will help you since I am doing Biology in Triple Science as a GCSE. Could you answer my question though?

Photosynthesis is at a faster rate in the light because there is more light to be used by the chloroplasts in the leaf to make more glucose, rather than in the dark.
Anyone find a good one?
20161020_160752.jpg
Original post by mamitomooe
Anyone find a good one?

There's an experiment in A2 bio involving the immobilisation of amylase in calcium alginate beads. So maybe the experiment could be about investigating the effect of immobilising an enzyme on the rate of reaction?

The image shows an AS bio experiment posed as a question.

Hope this helps :smile:
I know this was ages ago, so sorry! but what did you put for risk assessment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending