The Student Room Group

Oxford application with eng 4

(sry for my **** grammer, i am using my phone to write this)
Hi guys, i am current 12th grade student who want to study in oxford for biochemistry. I am really into studying the role of chemical called "Methylglyoxal" in Parkinson diseases and cancer.
I would like to study more about it in oxford uni. However, my English grade is giving me some hard time, as my grade is between 4 to 5 for eng lit A.
We do not yet have our predicted score, but many of us know from our final grade in 11th grade.
I guess mine is around 40~42 (but i kinda know that i will get 41 as my prediction)
Math HL - 6
Bio HL - 7
Chem Hl -7
Econ SL - 7
French Ab - 7
Eng lit A - 4~5
Tok + EE (bio) - 2~3
My question is that will oxford accept me with eng grade of 4? I know that imperial does not accept a student with eng 4 for any bio related courses. However, i recieved 7 for my ielts (8R, 7L, 6.5W and S) Thus i would like to know about my chance of making into oxford.
P.s
did anyone make into oxford with eng score of 4?
MY igcse score was:
A+A+ for double science
A+ for international math
A for additonal math
A for french in secondary language
D for my Eng as first language
Reply 1
Original post by whgkdbs2013
(sry for my **** grammer, i am using my phone to write this)
Hi guys, i am current 12th grade student who want to study in oxford for biochemistry. I am really into studying the role of chemical called "Methylglyoxal" in Parkinson diseases and cancer.
I would like to study more about it in oxford uni. However, my English grade is giving me some hard time, as my grade is between 4 to 5 for eng lit A.
We do not yet have our predicted score, but many of us know from our final grade in 11th grade.
I guess mine is around 40~42 (but i kinda know that i will get 41 as my prediction)
Math HL - 6
Bio HL - 7
Chem Hl -7
Econ SL - 7
French Ab - 7
Eng lit A - 4~5
Tok + EE (bio) - 2~3
My question is that will oxford accept me with eng grade of 4? I know that imperial does not accept a student with eng 4 for any bio related courses. However, i recieved 7 for my ielts (8R, 7L, 6.5W and S) Thus i would like to know about my chance of making into oxford.
P.s
did anyone make into oxford with eng score of 4?
MY igcse score was:
A+A+ for double science
A+ for international math
A for additonal math
A for french in secondary language
D for my Eng as first language

On the course page for Biochemistry, the requirements they list for IB are:
"39 (including core points) with 7 in HL Chemistry and 6 in two other relevant subjects at HL or SL"
(http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/biochemistry-molecular-and-cellular)

You're predicted 41, which puts you above the requirement. You have a 7 in HL Chemistry as well, and Bio HL and Math HL are both 6 or above (and are revelant courses, as far as I can tell), which means you meet all the requirements of the course. You definitely have a chance of being admitted.

Obviously, a 4 in Eng Lit wouldn't be ideal, but it's not a deal-breaker. You meet all of their grade requirements. As far as I know, Oxford doesn't have any rule like the one you mentioned at Imperial.
Original post by whgkdbs2013

I thought Oxford asked for at least 7.0 in each of the four components?

Edit: They also say "Exemptions from this requirement will be considered for applicants who have studied the IB programme if it is taught in English" - does that apply to you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Your IELTS results aren't enough. Oxford requires a grade of at least 7 in every section and you have 6.5 in writing. You'll have to retake that
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
I thought Oxford asked for at least 7.0 in each of the four components?

Edit: They also say "Exemptions from this requirement will be considered for applicants who have studied the IB programme if it is taught in English" - does that apply to you?

yep, everything within our school is taught in english
Reply 5
Original post by Bearbert
Your IELTS results aren't enough. Oxford requires a grade of at least 7 in every section and you have 6.5 in writing. You'll have to retake that

thank you for the answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending