The Student Room Group

Study medicine for free for non europeans

HI i'm a moroccan who's studying in baccalaureate and i want to study medicine in europe but my parents aren't rich so i would like u to propose me a country to study there for free but germany (because of the language) Thank you in advance
Original post by ayyoubmafia123
HI i'm a moroccan who's studying in baccalaureate and i want to study medicine in europe but my parents aren't rich so i would like u to propose me a country to study there for free but germany (because of the language) Thank you in advance

Germany and Norway are the ones I've heard of that offer free higher education even for foreign students. Bulgaria offers medicine courses in English, but I don't think it's free.

You won't be able to study medicine at any European university without speaking the native language. Sorry if that's blunt but most European universities only run postgraduate courses in English and most of the undergraduate courses require proficiency in the native language(s).

Is it not possible to study medicine in Morocco?
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
Germany and Norway are the ones I've heard of that offer free higher education even for foreign students. Bulgaria offers medicine courses in English, but I don't think it's free.

You won't be able to study medicine at any European university without speaking the native language. Sorry if that's blunt but most European universities only run postgraduate courses in English and most of the undergraduate courses require proficiency in the native language(s).

I was surprised to hear that there weren't fees for internationals in Norway, but it seems that there might indeed only be a 'semester fee' of about 600 NOK. Though I then found http://www.uio.no/english/studies/admission/bachelor/.

'Admission is highly competitive. Only a total of 60 places are available for 40 programmes.

Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Business studies are not offered to international applicants.'

So that's out. Presumably it's the same at other Norwegian universities.
Original post by Hydeman

not to mention that for medicine you'd need to speak to patients at some point
Original post by Ronove
I was surprised to hear that there weren't fees for internationals in Norway, but it seems that there might indeed only be a 'semester fee' of about 600 NOK. Though I then found http://www.uio.no/english/studies/admission/bachelor/.

'Admission is highly competitive. Only a total of 60 places are available for 40 programmes.

Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Business studies are not offered to international applicants.'

So that's out. Presumably it's the same at other Norwegian universities.

I expect so. If medicine in Europe is anything like medicine in most UK universities, there's likely to be a fair bit of patient contact during the course and they wouldn't want somebody who can't speak a word of Norwegian.

Even if it was available, the competition would be crazy. Thousands of people applying for 60 places...
Original post by jelly1000
not to mention that for medicine you'd need to speak to patients at some point

Haha, yes, just mentioned it in my reply to Ronove. xD
Reply 6
You can try looking for scholarships for international students.
but in Norway can i study the first three years in english then after i study it in norwegian because actuallly i have a high level of english at some point
but in Norway can i study the first three years in english then after i study it in norwegian because actuallly i have a high level of english at some point

No, unfortunately. Most, if not all, undergraduate teaching is in the native language. In addition, Ronove found that link from a Norwegian university explicitly saying that medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine aren't open to international students anyway and I'm inclined to think that it's the same for other universities.

What's wrong with studying medicine in Morocco?
Reply 9

That's how it works at at least one of the universities in the Netherlands, but I have yet to see evidence of there being an English language Medicine Bachelor's (AKA the first three years of the cand.med. qualification, the primary medical qualification in Norway, Denmark+) in Norway. Medical places seem to be tightly restricted so it would surprise me if they were funding medical training for internationals as well.

As linked above, the University of Oslo has no English language Bachelor's in Medicine (and it would seem international applicants cannot apply for the medical course regardless), nor do:

University of Trondheim

University of Bergen

University of Tromsø

And that's all the medical schools in Norway accounted for, as far as I am aware.
Original post by Hydeman
No, unfortunately. Most, if not all, undergraduate teaching is in the native language. In addition, Ronove found that link from a Norwegian university explicitly saying that medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine aren't open to international students anyway and I'm inclined to think that it's the same for other universities.

What's wrong with studying medicine in Morocco?

the wrong thing with studying in morocco is that their universities aren't that good and the admission there is difficult especially with the branch i did in baccalaureate.
i just got an idea btw , if there's universities in germany where i can study for free i can go there next year and do a language travel so that i get used to the environment there and maybe have a student job there which will allow me to save some money too. Is it a good idea?
(edited 8 years ago)
the wrong thing with studying in morocco is that their universities aren't that good and the admission there is difficult especially with the branch i did in baccalaureate.

If your baccalaureate doesn't satisfy requirements to study medicine in Morocco, it's unlikely to do so in European universities either. Admission to medicine is difficult in Europe as well, especially for international applicants. It's actually impossible for international students in countries where no tuition fees are charged, either because of the language barrier or the lack of places.
i just got an idea btw , if there's universities in germany where i can study for free i can go there next year and do a language travel so that i get used to the environment there and maybe have a student job there which will allow me to save some money too. Is it a good idea?

I don't understand what you mean by 'language travel.'

I think your visa restrictions might prevent you from doing that anyway. A student visa is not the same as a work visa. However, I'm basing this on the UK's immigration system and the German counterpart may very well work differently.

The bottom line is this: It's impossible to study medicine in a European country where you wouldn't have to pay any fees without having to learn the native language. Bulgarian universities, however, do teach medicine in English but they also charge fees. You'd have to check how much it is but I think it's less than the £9 000/year that Home/EU students are charged in the UK
thank you all for your answers :smile:
Reply 15

There are platforms who can actually help in these sorts of situations. If I'm not mistaken they are in partnership with universities in different countries which could give you options on where to study.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emma.G
There are platforms who can actually help in these sorts of situations. If I'm not mistaken they are in partnership with universities in different countries which could give you options on where to study.

thank you emma you relly brung my hope back :biggrin:

did it work??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending