The Student Room Group

Am I better off without her?!

So I just broke up with my girlfriend...

We were together for 6 months and both went to university this Autumn. Admittedly, 6 months isn't the longest of relationships, but it was incredibly intense. After about 2 months, she told me that she loved me. From then on, it was just constant praise and expressions of emotion from her. During our time together, she told me that we were soulmates, that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me, that she would struggle to abort our child because it was ours, that I was her world, that she had never felt this way about anyone, that she would move to Australia with me after uni etc. These sound like the ravings of a child but she's 20! According to her sister, she also wrote things of similar intensity in her diary so must have meant it at the time... We also lived together for about a week, spent almost all of our time with her family and went on an incredible holiday.

As uni got closer, she started geting into states and telling me through tears that she was "terrified of messing up", that she "always self-sabotages the good things" and kept trying to reassure herself and me by saying "I trust you with my life" and "I don't think I could ever lie to you". She also confided in a friend of hers, earlier on in the relationship, that she was scared of cheating on me at a festival, because she had cheated on her ex at one.

Anyway, we left in tears and over the past few weeks communication by text and phone has just dried up on her end. She also started saying things like "maybe you'll meet someone else" etc. I received a few drunk phone calls where she told me similarly intense things - "I miss your mind and body", "you're my world", "you'll never understand how much I love you".

After a week of this drying up of conversation, I got concerned so I agreed that I would visit her uni (4 hours away). I drove back 2 hours to get home, then was about to leave to meet her from a night out. As I was leaving the house at 1am, I hadn't heard from her so sent a text just double checking - turns out she had completely forgotten I was coming and was staying at "a friend's house". I agreed to go up the next day.

Got there the next day, only to find her wearing some other guy's jumper and in tears. She lied about where she had got it and then we went out for the evening. Well she spent the entire time messaging people right in front of me, the ENTIRE TIME, and just ignoring me completely. We got home and I demanded to know what was going on - turns out she completely forgot I was coming the night before (despite us agreeing earlier that day) and agreed to go home with a guy she had been flirting with for a week before.

She swore nothing had happened, and I believe that she didn't screw him, but SOMETHING must have happened for them to end up in bed alone together?! And it's only been a few weeks since we were sat on a Barcelona terrace, her telling me that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me!

Turns out, it was him she was texting the entire night saying things like "conversation is really forced" and "the meal was ****" - bearing in mind she had know him for a week... Anyway, she told me that she hadn't been thinking about me and had decided that it wasn't going to work. When I asked her, she said she and this guy might get together - so soon!

Oh, and to compound things, before I made the long drive, she asked me to pick things up for her from her house, knowing that she was going to end it and having just come back from some other guy's house. So I saw her family and, having been told that I was like a second son to them, went on my way.

Is this the behaviour of someone who one should not want to be with or just immature girl at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I should add that, whilst I know this happens to lots of people in pre-uni relationships, it was just the speed at which it happened and the intensity from which it went. I was also shocked by her lack of compassion - getting with a guy the night I was visiting, forgetting me, greeting me in his jumper, disparaging texts about me to him in front of me etc. She also made a point of taking me to meet her friends elsewhere as they had asked her to introduce us, knowing that she was likely to end it...
I completely feel you, and having dated a girl who always used to complain about how she loved me more (as a joke, of course), I can say that some people don't know the meaning of love, don't know what they want, and never truly loved you to begin with. THIS isn't love - she didn't love you. You gave us evidence already. You're MUCH better off without her as she's just going to continue to emotionally f*** with you.

Take care of yourself. And I know you'll wanna chase her because you should never turn your back on your loved ones, even when they do. However, that doesn't apply to a girl who starts cheating on you. She's no longer a girl you should want to be with and guess what - she didn't even apologise, right? Look at her and judge yourself. I can't tell you what to do. Once again, take care.

~ Coming from a true bro
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply, would love to know what anyone else thinks :smile:
She sounds very erratic. I'm not sure what she gives you that justifies putting up with all that drama to be honest. I get a sense of you feeling that way from how you write about it anyway.
She is crazy. It's tough, but you should move on from this as soon as possible, and don't talk to this person ever again.

Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply, would love to know what anyone else thinks :smile:
I completely feel you, and having dated a girl who always used to complain about how she loved me more (as a joke, of course), I can say that some people don't know the meaning of love, don't know what they want, and never truly loved you to begin with. THIS isn't love - she didn't love you. You gave us evidence already. You're MUCH better off without her as she's just going to continue to emotionally f*** with you.

Take care of yourself. And I know you'll wanna chase her because you should never turn your back on your loved ones, even when they do. However, that doesn't apply to a girl who starts cheating on you. She's no longer a girl you should want to be with and guess what - she didn't even apologise, right? Look at her and judge yourself. I can't tell you what to do. Once again, take care.

~ Coming from a true bro

Yea I agree, you can choose to look at this objectively op or you can keep following feelings. I say just dont contact her and see how she responds.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
She is crazy. It's tough, but you should move on from this as soon as possible, and don't talk to this person ever again.

Thanks for your reply :smile: Why do you describe her behaviour as crazy out of curiosity? - This is my first relationship so assumed this is just how people act...
Reply 8
Original post by Redfrost
Yea I agree, you can choose to look at this objectively op or you can keep following feelings. I say just dont contact her and see how she responds.

In terms of not actually being in love with me, which I agree she wasn't, even though it may have seemed real to her at the time, is this a reflection upon me? I.e. was it a lack in some way in the relationship or our connection? Or is this a reflection of her?
Thanks for your reply :smile: Why do you describe her behaviour as crazy out of curiosity? - This is my first relationship so assumed this is just how people act...

Worrying about cheating on you and actually cheating on you are two very bad things, and I would have thought that if either of those things are happening, okay, that's bad. But for both to happen in succession is just stupid. She must have changed her mind or thought it was okay, based on how she was acting afterwards.

And how she treated you towards the end - texting other people about you in front of you, 'forgetting' that you were going to meet up. Okay, that's not the first time I've heard of anyone 'forgetting' about a meetup but that doesn't make it any less horrible or justifiable.

And just way too clingy. I was quite clingy in my first relationship (though I didn't mean to be) and even I didn't say some of the things that she's said. I would bet that her next relationship won't be better than the one she had with you by a long shot, and it won't work for one reason or another.
Original post by SeanFM
Worrying about cheating on you and actually cheating on you are two very bad things, and I would have thought that if either of those things are happening, okay, that's bad. But for both to happen in succession is just stupid. She must have changed her mind or thought it was okay, based on how she was acting afterwards.

And how she treated you towards the end - texting other people about you in front of you, 'forgetting' that you were going to meet up. Okay, that's not the first time I've heard of anyone 'forgetting' about a meetup but that doesn't make it any less horrible or justifiable.

And just way too clingy. I was quite clingy in my first relationship (though I didn't mean to be) and even I didn't say some of the things that she's said. I would bet that her next relationship won't be better than the one she had with you by a long shot, and it won't work for one reason or another.

Interesting that you mention justifying her cheating - she did the same thing with her ex - he went away for 2 months over Summer and she slept with a random guy twice at a festival. She told me, and said that she didn't feel any guilt for it because she had stopped loving him whilst he was away. They were in an LDR and he only told her at the last minute, cancelling all their Summer plans, so I suppose at the time, I felt she was somewhat justified.

In terms of clinginess, she would also compain about me not messaging her enough and told me after arriving at uni that she thought she needed me to be there to make everything alright.
Original post by SeanFM

Why do you think her next relationship will be less good? Admittedly she did seem to feel some very strong feelings during ours (writing about them seems to suggest that she did actually feel strong emotions at the time) and I did do everything to try and make her feel validated/wanted - liked to show the way I felt rather than say it so would try to be a good bf, organise surprises, occasional presents and romantic outings etc.
Interesting that you mention justifying her cheating - she did the same thing with her ex - he went away for 2 months over Summer and she slept with a random guy twice at a festival. She told me, and said that she didn't feel any guilt for it because she had stopped loving him whilst he was away. They were in an LDR and he only told her at the last minute, cancelling all their Summer plans, so I suppose at the time, I felt she was somewhat justified.

In terms of clinginess, she would also compain about me not messaging her enough and told me after arriving at uni that she thought she needed me to be there to make everything alright.

That's not good enough on her part, to be honest. If she really loved someone she wouldn't 'stop loving them' for that reason. I suspect that she just gets attached to people and when they're too far away she just wants something else.

And settling in at university, particularly the first year, is very tough and if you have someone close to you it's very comforting to be in touch with them. So that bit isn't exactly clingy, but the rest of her is.

Why do you think her next relationship will be less good? Admittedly she did seem to feel some very strong feelings during ours (writing about them seems to suggest that she did actually feel strong emotions at the time) and I did do everything to try and make her feel validated/wanted - liked to show the way I felt rather than say it so would try to be a good bf, organise surprises, occasional presents and romantic outings etc.

See my first paragraph of the post. And also for the reason that you did a lot of things for her like you've described there, as well as a holiday with the family. Is some guy that she got with behind your back going to be able to do better? Unless he's got some kind of magic qualities, I'm not sure what's stopping her from just going to someone else when something else happens.
Original post by SeanFM
That's not good enough on her part, to be honest. If she really loved someone she wouldn't 'stop loving them' for that reason. I suspect that she just gets attached to people and when they're too far away she just wants something else.

And settling in at university, particularly the first year, is very tough and if you have someone close to you it's very comforting to be in touch with them. So that bit isn't exactly clingy, but the rest of her is.

See my first paragraph of the post. And also for the reason that you did a lot of things for her like you've described there, as well as a holiday with the family. Is some guy that she got with behind your back going to be able to do better? Unless he's got some kind of magic qualities, I'm not sure what's stopping her from just going to someone else when something else happens.

I suppose I thought that her being at uni would distinguish their relationship and make it seem more special/important - life defining times and all that - the excitement of being in London, sharing a friendship group etc.

He's not the one she got with, they were only together for a few months.
I might add, until he went away to Europe, so again it's the leaving thing - she is a child of divorce and seems to respond badly to 'abandonment'.
Reply 15
You know sometimes all you need is a simple formula or saying to see if the person your with etc does in fact love you. The way I do that or you could say DISTINGUISH between people who are actually worth it and those that are not, is that I look at both their ACTIONS and WORDS. I remember someone who would say the most supportive, nicest, sweetest things, you name it. But when came to delivery and living up to their words, it was zero and it was these people that I felt were most poisonous and I AVOID people like this.

This girl is obviously not serious about you that's clear. However most of all, in a way she's disrespected you, sitting there whilst you've come for HER and she sits and complains. That's disrespect for someone's time. I think you need to clear your life of all this drama, it's not worth it one little bit. You mentioned she's a child of divorce, well, I'm a child of a forced marriage and a extremely incompatible one. I've seen things that no child should see and have felt Abandoned most of my life. However everyone has a choice, that's why you don't see every child of divorce or abandonment doing what she did. At the end of the day your just wasting your brain power and it's better to declutter your life from all of this.
Original post by Ruby17
You know sometimes all you need is a simple formula or saying to see if the person your with etc does in fact love you. The way I do that or you could say DISTINGUISH between people who are actually worth it and those that are not, is that I look at both their ACTIONS and WORDS. I remember someone who would say the most supportive, nicest, sweetest things, you name it. But when came to delivery and living up to their words, it was zero and it was these people that I felt were most poisonous and I AVOID people like this.

This girl is obviously not serious about you that's clear. However most of all, in a way she's disrespected you, sitting there whilst you've come for HER and she sits and complains. That's disrespect for someone's time. I think you need to clear your life of all this drama, it's not worth it one little bit. You mentioned she's a child of divorce, well, I'm a child of a forced marriage and a extremely incompatible one. I've seen things that no child should see and have felt Abandoned most of my life. However everyone has a choice, that's why you don't see every child of divorce or abandonment doing what she did. At the end of the day your just wasting your brain power and it's better to declutter your life from all of this.

Very good advice. OP listen to this. :h:
Original post by Ruby17

I agree with everything you've said :smile: Thanks for your reply. The only area where I would add something is this - to my mind, she thought she was serious about me, at least at times - simply because she was writing these things in her diary. That means that it wasn't just for my benefit. Sure, it might be the case that she was simply living out a dramatic fantasy by doing this, but at least she thought it was true I suppose. She also wrote (again, it wasn't me that read it), that she really wanted the relationship to work at uni.

I hope that the reason she wasn't serious about me was because of drama school and her dreams of becoming an actress. Her ex was far less compatable with her yet they were together for 2 years. A part of me says that I was not enough for her, that we didn't have enough in common, that she was bored or some such. But, she said several times towards the end of the relationship, things like, I never intended to go to university with a boyfriend, so I think she had considerable doubts, only feeling convinced at times.
Once the relationship is broken it's time to cut all ties...unless you're Kate Middleton and Prince William. It was not meant to be and it hurts like someone stabbed your heart, having your heart burning and bleeding at the same time. For the most part, just cry out as much as you can...then once you feel the emotions are somewhat lighter prepare for something that you can look forward. DO NOT BE FRIENDS AGAIN!! It's like that saying "the dog died, but okay let's keep him". I know, I sound pessimistic but it's the best way dear. The problem with relationships is that people start way too early and the society unfortunately encourages it...really the world has enough humans. ¬___¬
Reply 19
I agree with everything you've said :smile: Thanks for your reply. The only area where I would add something is this - to my mind, she thought she was serious about me, at least at times - simply because she was writing these things in her diary. That means that it wasn't just for my benefit. Sure, it might be the case that she was simply living out a dramatic fantasy by doing this, but at least she thought it was true I suppose. She also wrote (again, it wasn't me that read it), that she really wanted the relationship to work at uni.

I hope that the reason she wasn't serious about me was because of drama school and her dreams of becoming an actress. Her ex was far less compatable with her yet they were together for 2 years. A part of me says that I was not enough for her, that we didn't have enough in common, that she was bored or some such. But, she said several times towards the end of the relationship, things like, I never intended to go to university with a boyfriend, so I think she had considerable doubts, only feeling convinced at times.

No problem :smile: at the end of the day, people change. The feelings one has yesterday towards someone may not be the same today. Sure she might have envisaged something more and serious but it certainly does not look like that is what she envisages now. I personally don't think either if you will be happy if you get back together, but that's my opinion. In my eyes it would be very unstable which is not healthy. If she said such things it's clear she's unsure and confused. I mean maybe later on she will you know, change and you could say realise what she wants, but right now I think it's best if you just leave it. Whether you were not enough, she was bored or you guys didn't share enough things in common is irrelevant now. Your beyond this now. Did her and her ex have a good relationship though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending