The Student Room Group

Hundreds of Muslims pray on Parliament Square 'to make Britain a better place.'

The event was segregated along gender lines.

Their prayers were mainly targeted towards climate change - ISIS wasn't mentioned by any of the speakers.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/09/exclusive-hundreds-of-muslims-pray-in-parliament-square-london/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCitizenAct
The event was segregated along gender lines.

Their prayers were mainly targeted towards climate change - ISIS wasn't mentioned by any of the speakers.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/09/exclusive-hundreds-of-muslims-pray-in-parliament-square-london/

Why would you say that? They were there for climate change and that only.
Shouldn't these people be working today? Nice to see their employers were nice enough to let them have the day off.
Original post by AmbitiousMedic99

Why would I say the event was segregated along gender lines? Because it was. I don't believe segregating women upon a belief women are second class citizens, or worth half the value of men, helps to 'make Britain a better place.' I think it's quite the opposite. Nor do I believe it's a 'moderate' position in the context of a political event.

It's a bit like Harriet Harman declaring pre-GE that it would be 'rude' to interfere with a Labour Party event segregated along gender lines to appeal to Muslim voters. I don't think it would be rude, I think it would be standing up for individual liberty (a much maligned principle which, in the modern age, is subservient to feelings and inclusivity).

Then again, we live in a multicultural society and multiculturalism - prioritising everyone's beliefs and group values over a principle of right or wrong - takes precedence over individual liberty, so what do I know.
(edited 8 years ago)

They were there to shove their intolerant religion down our throats.
Reply 5
Original post by Willdono
Shouldn't these people be working today? Nice to see their employers were nice enough to let them have the day off.

funny you just copied that from the comments in the article.
And how do you know they had the day off or they don't work on fridays?
Why would I say the event was segregated along gender lines? Because it was. I don't believe segregating women upon a belief women are second class citizens, or worth half the value of men, helps to 'make Britain a better place.' I think it's quite the opposite. Nor do I believe it's a 'moderate' position in the context of a political event.

It's a bit like Harriet Harman declaring pre-GE that it would be 'rude' to intefere with a Labour Party event segregated along gender lines to appeal to Muslim voters. I don't think it would be rude, I think it would be standing up for individual liberty (a much maligned principle which, in the modern age, is subservient to feelings and inclusivity).

Then again, we live in a multicultural society and multiculturalism - prioritising everyone's beliefs and group values over a principle of right or wrong - takes precedence over individual liberty, so what do I know.

They weren't there to enforce the principal of the segregation of women and more, a patriarchal society. They were there to show support for the issue on climate change
And how does that affect you OP?
Muslims pray? Shocker!
Good, everyone should be against climate change.
They weren't there to enforce the principal of the segregation of women and more, a patriarchal society. They were there to show support for the issue on climate change

Do you support gender segregation? Do you believe it's a good idea, particularly when backed up by a principle women are half the value of men?

It's a bit like Harriet Harman declaring pre-GE that it would be 'rude' to interfere with a Labour Party event segregated along gender lines to appeal to Muslim voters. I don't think it would be rude, I think it would be standing up for individual liberty (a much maligned principle which, in the modern age, is subservient to feelings and inclusivity).

I can see that you DON'T know much about Islam and it's views on women.

Did you know that the majority of European and American converts to Islam are women - not men? Would it surprise you to learn that many women in the Muslim world feel sorry for Western women and view them as being victimised?

First of all, women are portrayed positively in the Qur'an and the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad). The Qur'an is the only book of world Scripture in which women are frequently referred to alongside men, and both are described as being friends and partners in faith.

So what do I know.
Original post by Hibzish
funny you just copied that from the comments in the article.
And how do you know they had the day off or they don't work on fridays?

Or I came to the logical conclusion that they should be working on Fridays.
Original post by queen-bee
And how does that affect you OP?

Should we only be bothered by events which affect us directly?
Should we only be bothered by events which affect us directly?

No but this isn't exactly news worthy. They came to support a cause? Big deal

Did you know that the majority of European and American converts to Islam are women - not men? Would it surprise you to learn that many women in the Muslim world feel sorry for Western women and view them as being victimised?

First of all, women are portrayed positively in the Qur'an and the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad). The Qur'an is the only book of world Scripture in which women are frequently referred to alongside men, and both are described as being friends and partners in faith.

So what do I know.

Qur'an (2:82): "And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women."

Basically, one man's testimony is worth twice that of a woman's.

So, I ask the same question I asked the previous poster: do you believe in gender segregation, particularly when it's backed up by a principle which suggests women are worth half the value of men?

So what do I know.

kl. Then why are they treated like slaves by their husbands? There's already been a thread today on a girl who can't leave for a holiday because of her Muslim father. Islam oppresses women's rights. You can quote me a million verses from your book of fairy tales (Qur'an), but it doesn't change the fact that women in islamic countries have less rights than men.
Original post by Willdono
Or I came to the logical conclusion that they should be working on Fridays.

That is not logical, that's very stupid to assume every one in britain should be working on fridays.
I dont get it what's the big deal?
Original post by queen-bee
No but this isn't exactly news worthy. They came to support a cause? Big deal

I believe gender segregation at a political event is newsworthy - it's an attack on individual liberty. Then again, I hold individual liberty to be the most important principle of western democracies, so I believe any violation of it, particularly amongst people who opt-in to a set of backwards principles advocated by a mythological sky fairy, to be newsworthy.

Sue me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending