The Student Room Group

What to say to science students that keep insulting my degree?

Sorry for the essay! I study English Literature and want to be a writer and an English lecturer. I've wanted to be a published author for as long as I can remember, and a lecturer since I was in college. So you can see why I picked English at university. It's what I'm good at, it's what I enjoy, and it's the field I wish to go into.

Most of my friends at university are science students. I love my friends dearly and care a lot about them.

However, now, I'm in the second year. They are still making cheap shots at my degree. They say things like, "What's the point in doing English?", but only when there's a lot of them there. They wouldn't dare say it straight to my face, but when I'm in the room with two or more of them, they do. It's like they don't even consider my feelings.

It makes me feel really uncomfortable, because this is what I have always wanted to do, and it's costing me a lot of money. It's making me angry, too, because it's clear that they think their degrees are worth more than mine. And maybe they are. I don't know. But it's still hurtful to hear. I mean, on one level, the 'value' of my degree doesn't matter - if I know what I want to do and am certain that I'm doing what I need to to get where I want to be, what does its worth to others matter? In an ideal world, I would like my friends to totally change this idea they've got about it. However, at this point, all I want them to do is stop voicing their thoughts on it. And yes, maybe I'll "let them talk" or whatever, but it's still unpleasant to deal with. When I'm where I want to be, of course this will stop, but I'm not yet, and probably won't be until my mid to late twenties.

I once said something back - that they can criticise me as much as they want, but that they weren't doing well enough to get into the fields that they want to get into. They couldn't handle it, of course. I felt terrible saying it and don't want to fight fire with fire.

I honestly even get this from strangers on nights out. When I say that I want to write books and be an English lecturer, they seem to understand. I just don't get what else my friends think I should've done. I tell my friends time and time again what I want to do, and have told them a couple times to stop. That quiets them for a little while, but it always starts up again later. In this day and age, it's near-impossible to get a job as a lecturer without a degree.

Of course, it's not all science students. You will know if you're not one of the ones I'm talking about, so please don't turn this into a 'not all scientists' debate. I've got a few friends that are science students that are total babes about it all. But, sorry, I find that most of the time, it's science and maths students that say this to people that are reading basically any other subject. What gives? What should I say to them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Sorry for the essay! I study English Literature and want to be a writer and an English lecturer. I've wanted to be a published author for as long as I can remember, and a lecturer since I was in college. So you can see why I picked English at university. It's what I'm good at, it's what I enjoy, and it's the field I wish to go into.

Most of my friends at university are science students. I love my friends dearly and care a lot about them.

However, now, I'm in the second year. They are still making cheap shots at my degree. They say things like, "What's the point in doing English?", but only when there's a lot of them there. They wouldn't dare say it straight to my face, but when I'm in the room with two or more of them, they do. It's like they don't even consider my feelings.

It makes me feel really uncomfortable, because this is what I have always wanted to do, and it's costing me a lot of money. It's making me angry, too, because it's clear that they think their degrees are worth more than mine. And maybe they are. I don't know. But it's still hurtful to hear. I mean, on one level, the 'value' of my degree doesn't matter - if I know what I want to do and am certain that I'm doing what I need to to get where I want to be, what does its worth to others matter? In an ideal world, I would like my friends to totally change this idea they've got about it. However, at this point, all I want them to do is stop voicing their thoughts on it. And yes, maybe I'll "let them talk" or whatever, but it's still unpleasant to deal with. When I'm where I want to be, of course this will stop, but I'm not yet, and probably won't be until my mid to late twenties.

I once said something back - that they can criticise me as much as they want, but that they weren't doing well enough to get into the fields that they want to get into. They couldn't handle it, of course. I felt terrible saying it and don't want to fight fire with fire.

I honestly even get this from strangers on nights out. When I say that I want to write books and be an English lecturer, they seem to understand. I just don't get what else my friends think I should've done. I tell my friends time and time again what I want to do, and have told them a couple times to stop. That quiets them for a little while, but it always starts up again later. In this day and age, it's near-impossible to get a job as a lecturer without a degree.

Of course, it's not all science students. You will know if you're not one of the ones I'm talking about, so please don't turn this into a 'not all scientists' debate. I've got a few friends that are science students that are total babes about it all. But, sorry, I find that most of the time, it's science and maths students that say this to people that are reading basically any other subject. What gives? What should I say to them?

Tell them if you don't or they don't stop make new friends. ideally non STEM friends.

But gotta say this STEMMASTERRACE.
Just tell them the reason for doing the degree... To possibly become an English lecturer. I did a STEM degree and we are all very goal-oriented. Doing a degree just because you like a subject is generally seen as a waste of time and money because the other option of self-learning, publishing, and freelancing is seen as a more productive use of your time and money.

I mean, I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying in general this is how we think. You need to give the right people the right answers. If you give a STEM person an end-goal and one that cannot easily be attained without the degree, then they will no longer have questions over why you are doing the degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Xenon17
Tell them if you don't or they don't stop make new friends. ideally non STEM friends.

But gotta say this STEMMASTERRACE.

Hahaha!
You could say, "My degree is very good, but actually, you know, you're right, yours is better, well done."

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
You could point out that most science grads don't use any of their degree knowledge in later jobs - just like arts students. In that circumstance, why is their science degree any more "useful"? All it is is a representation of a certain set of transferable skills. They can't claim their degrees are more valuable because they're only as valuable as what they do with them.

Or you could be playful and retort that they must be really jealous about how much more free time you have, or that a large portion of your studying is reading things written for leisure! Basically, you have the choice of arguing against what they're saying, or agreeing with them and taking it further for a bit of a joke. It sounds like their attempt at "banter" so I'd maybe go with the latter.

I know what you mean though. I studied English literature and it drove me mental whenever people did this! I'm now a trainee actuary - the only arts graduate trainee at my firm, but still, I've ended up with the same job and career prospects as all these maths/economics/science grads. *shrugs* I don't get any grief for it because there's not a lot they could say to me now!
Call them autists.

Anyone who actually thinks they are better for doing a STEM degree, probably has nothing real to brag about, equally the best STEM students always seem to appreciate other academic disciplines.
Just toughen up and grow callus to it. Roll with the punches.

Or, stand up for yourself and tell them to bugger off. Tell them their aggressiveness towards non STEM subjects is based on them being bullied in school and not getting any attention from girls/boys. Tell them "Careful you don't drown in all that pussy you'll be getting with that STEM degree." or similar. So on and so forth.

In short, learn to take a hit or go on the offensive. Staying on the back foot has gotten you nowhere.

What a wonderful ambition!

It's their own ignorance :smile: Literature is such a beautiful subject, complex, intricate and so tied to life. But they probably stopped it at GCSE! So they won't understand that. For science subjects, the applications are a little more obvious, but an English degree is so intellectually stimulating, and can change perspectives on the ways we live life. It's the study of the written word, everything is written .

Keep your chin up, you're doing something great!
(edited 8 years ago)

English is either randomly graded or harder than any STEM subject. If you believe the latter, return the banter and say your subject is harder than theirs.
Original post by Keyhofi
Just tell them the reason for doing the degree... To possibly become an English lecturer. I did a STEM degree and we are all very goal-oriented. Doing a degree just because you like a subject is generally seen as a waste of time and money because the other option of self-learning, publishing, and freelancing is seen as a more productive use of your time and money.

I mean, I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying in general this is how we think. You need to give the right people the right answers. If you give a STEM person an end-goal and one that cannot easily be attained without the degree, then they will no longer have questions over why you are doing the degree.

Okay, I see! Yeah, I'm not doing it just for the hell of it. My basic reasoning is - I want a job that I would like, like most people, and that would be lecturing. I can't imagine being able to get a job as a lecturer without a degree, or at least as quickly. I don't want a few years of doing nothing after university, or a few years of working small jobs. Then, in my own time, I'll write.

I'm employable in other ways - I could teach music to children - but I just don't that to be my life. That's it. The STEM way of thinking is quite different to mine, so no wonder there's a clash, lol.
Original post by morgan8002
English is either randomly graded or harder than any STEM subject. If you believe the latter, return the banter and say your subject is harder than theirs.

Ha! Thanks :-)
People who do stem subjects are usually in my experience very uncreative and can't understand the value of humanities subjects at all - they probably were the kinds of people who did not do very well in english etc at school. English is a skill that you either have or you don't, writing well is a talent that can only be developed so far if you're not that good to start with. STEM subjects you can memorise all the answers if you study for long enough. I personally would not have taken english/history etc at undergrad mainly because the lack of direct career pathway afterwards put me off, but you have a very clear career goal and you need an english degree to fulfil that goal so you could point that out.

I wouldn't bother though. STEM students always have a massive head because they think they're intellectually superior. I did law and I once dated a guy who kept telling me how his chemistry degree was so much harder than law and that's why he got a 2.2 and I got a 2.1. Cba with it - if it bothers you that much ditch them and get some decent friends. That would annoy me and wear me down hanging out with people like that all the time. You don't have to explain yourself or your degree/career choice to anyone, certainly not a few jumped up students with a superiority complex.
Original post by BestBehaviour
Call them autists.

Anyone who actually thinks they are better for doing a STEM degree, probably has nothing real to brag about, equally the best STEM students always seem to appreciate other academic disciplines.

I appreciate that people have the right to do whatever degree they wish, it's their choice after all and I respect that, However I do also believe some degrees are more worthwhile than others (Note; Worthwhile, not better)

Lets take my degree (Engineering) and the Op's degree (Eng Lit) They are pretty limited to what they can do, Lecturer and writer is pretty much it from a literal career point of view, whereas I have many more doors open to me, my degree can lead me into practically any stem subject, aswell as a fair few others without much difficulty, each one of those have countless options within. I have a much wider knowledge and therefore more opportunities. Therefore, I will always argue that my degree is more worthwhile than say a language or English due to what it can provide and lead too. I personally however, will never put down someone else's degree regardless of what it is.

OP - Your degree is yours, you've picked it for your reasons, the same as I picked mine for my own. Nothing anyone says can devalue your degree unless you let it, ignore them, they're only taking the piss because they wrongfully believe in the #StemMasterRace. Unfortunately, alot of people believe in the "Value" aspect, to some extent me included, what they forget however, is that a degrees value is embedded within what you do with it....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Just toughen up and grow callus to it. Roll with the punches.

Or, stand up for yourself and tell them to bugger off. Tell them their aggressiveness towards non STEM subjects is based on them being bullied in school and not getting any attention from girls/boys. Tell them "Careful you don't drown in all that pussy you'll be getting with that STEM degree." or similar. So on and so forth.

In short, learn to take a hit or go on the offensive. Staying on the back foot has gotten you nowhere.

Yeah, to be honest, I am better with it than I was, but I want it to stop lmao. I'm sensitive as hell, always have been, probably always will be. I can deal with light banter, but this is just a particularly sensitive topic to me. You're right, not saying anything much back clearly hasn't done anything!

I'll try turning it into banter I'm in on rather than the subject of. Maybe that'll work, haha
Original post by Ryanx623
I appreciate that people have the right to do whatever degree they wish, it's their choice after all and I respect that, However I do also believe some degrees are more worthwhile than others (Note; Worthwhile, not better)

Lets take my degree (Engineering) and the Op's degree (Eng Lit) They are pretty limited to what they can do, Lecturer and writer is pretty much it, whereas I have many more doors open to me, my degree can lead me into practically any stem subject, aswell as a fair few others without much difficulty, each one of those have countless options within. I have a much wider knowledge and therefore more opportunities. Therefore, I will always argue that my degree is more worthwhile than say a language or English due to what it can provide and lead too. I personally however, will never put down someone else's degree regardless of what it is.

OP - Your degree is yours, you've picked it for your reasons, the same as I picked mine for my own. Nothing anyone says can devalue your degree unless you let it, ignore them, they're only taking the piss because they wrongfully believe in the #StemMasterRace. Unfortunately, alot of people believe in the "Value" aspect, to some extent me included, what they forget however, is that a degrees value is embedded within what you do with it....

There are tonnes of engineering grads, unless you're a mathematical prodigy, you don't exactly count for much in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by BestBehaviour
There are tonnes of engineering grads, unless you're a mathematical prodigy, you don't exactly count for much in the grand scheme of things.

True, but along the same lines, there are tonnes of Engineering positions, there aren't that many positions for lit students
At the end of the day if its what you've always wanted to do it doesn't matter, the world needs arts graduates as much as science ones.
Its a similar sort of snobbery ,for want of a better word, I've seen when people criticise others for learning a trade after GCSE rather than taking A Levels.
Just tell your friends straight up that it's not on and they'll soon get the message
U just don't belong to the stem master race sorry
Reply 19
If they're so concerned with the "point" of the degree, ask them if they chose their degree due to genuine interest in the subject or a field relating to it, or genuine interest in making lots of money (to no real end). I mean do people really want to go into banking and the like because they think it will be fascinating and fulfilling in and of itself...I guess it is possible. I feel like those who make fun of non-STEM degrees probably are not appreciating their own degree as anything other than a means to an end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending