The Student Room Group

Male doctors can they can't they

My sister has a male doctor (I have 3 females at my practice) she's been having some issues with pain during intercourse. Do make doctors do exams of this nature or is she best to go to like a hospital. It's not sexual health related but more prolapse based.... I'm not sure whether male doctors do or don't she's 19

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by auntumn89
My sister has a male doctor (I have 3 females at my practice) she's been having some issues with pain during intercourse. Do make doctors do exams of this nature or is she best to go to like a hospital. It's not sexual health related but more prolapse based.... I'm not sure whether male doctors do or don't she's 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried to read it several times, but I still don't understand what you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's a prolapse you may want to go to hospital.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just request a female doctor
Original post by Little Popcorns
Just request a female doctor

Good point made for simplicity.

@auntumn89 Though, just saying, I presume they can, and they'd probably be professional about it.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Good point made for simplicity.

@auntumn89 Though, just saying, I presume they can, and they'd probably be professional about it.

I mean I dunno it might just be me and my creepy doctor I would never let him examine me he really gives the sense that doctors are only human. He is painfully human and from that I take that even in the medical profession to a heterosexual man a vagina is a vagina. Sorry to be crude but isn't it just a hell of a lot easier to request a female doctor. It's what a vast majority of women do for intimate examinations.
(edited 8 years ago)
I mean I dunno it might just be me and my creepy doctor I would never let him examine me he really gives the sense that doctors are only human. He is painfully human and from that I take that even in the medical profession to a heterosexual man a vagina is a vagina. Sorry to be crude but isn't it just a hell of a lot easier to request a female doctor. It's what a vast majority of women do for intimate examinations.

I was just saying it was a very good point, because often people overcomplicate things. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by XcitingStuart
I was just saying it was a very good point, because often people overcomplicate things. :smile:

I don't know I have a female doctor but she does not at her doctors surgery it's only a little practice. Her doctor is male and that's why I ask for her because I can not advise as I'm not a doctor. But I thought male doctors would examine you but would ask a receptionist or someone in to make sure he is professional I don't know

She doesn't have a female at her surgery she is on maternity leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I don't know I have a female doctor but she does not at her doctors surgery it's only a little practice. Her doctor is male and that's why I ask for her because I can not advise as I'm not a doctor. But I thought male doctors would examine you but would ask a receptionist or someone in to make sure he is professional I don't know

She doesn't have a female at her surgery she is on maternity leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, male GPs should be able to do this sort of examination, or if not, will have a system to refer her on appropriately. It's not a suitable problem to take to A&E.
Is this something a nurse can do?
Original post by OU Student
Is this something a nurse can do?

They can usually do smears/swabs, but most practice nurses wouldn't be trained in the diagnostic side of things.
At my practice the male doctors do it no problem as the female doctor is only in three days. The practice nurse stands in the room if the patient or doctor requests that for mutual safety.
a male doctor can do this sort of examination and will be professional about it, your sister can request either a female doctor or at least at my surgery you can request another member of staff comes in with you (like a nurse or someone) so you feel more comfortable
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
Yes, male GPs should be able to do this sort of examination, or if not, will have a system to refer her on appropriately. It's not a suitable problem to take to A&E.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I know that the male doctors do it without problems.
Original post by Kate908
I know that the male doctors do it without problems.

My male doctor doesn't do it he books us in with a female GP guess it's all dependant on where you are

Posted from TSR Mobile
of course male doctors do this sort of examination. For their own safety they may ask a nurse to be present - or the woman can always take her husband/ female relative or friend in with her. Woman may prefer a female doctor but that isn't always possible.

Quick Reply

Latest