The Student Room Group

Extra-curricular Activities for Chemical Engineering?

I'm planning on working with my uncle in the Christmas holidays at his own company in the 'Paint and Dye' sector.

What else could i do? I was thinking of books but i'm not sure which ones? Also maybe olympiads but the past papers look daunting.
Original post by K78R
I'm planning on working with my uncle in the Christmas holidays at his own company in the 'Paint and Dye' sector.

What else could i do? I was thinking of books but i'm not sure which ones? Also maybe olympiads but the past papers look daunting.

A bit of work experience is fine. Universities don't care about extra curriculars anyway so I wouldn't get too worried about it.
Books are good. Have a look at reading lists and course structures and read around the topics. Olympiads I wouldn't really bother with as they don't show anything except that you have good exam technique.
Original post by alleycat393
. Olympiads I wouldn't really bother with as they don't show anything except that you have good exam technique.

i doubt this, olympiads are great way to show your problem solving skill and anyone would find it tough.
Original post by Duke Glacia
i doubt this, olympiads are great way to show your problem solving skill and anyone would find it tough.

You can doubt it all you like. Just giving you the perspective of someone who works in a uni and has been reviewing PSs for several years. There are several better ways of showing problem solving skills. Olympiads are typically based on the A level syllabus (I set some of the biology questions sometimes) so anyone doing A levels should be able to solve them with the correct exam technique, in theory.
Original post by alleycat393
You can doubt it all you like. Just giving you the perspective of someone who works in a uni and has been reviewing PSs for several years. There are several better ways of showing problem solving skills. Olympiads are typically based on the A level syllabus (I set some of the biology questions sometimes) so anyone doing A levels should be able to solve them with the correct exam technique, in theory.

Thats Great :congrats:I was also giving advice from a Highschool sstudent prepping for Physics olympiads(its really fun )
Original post by Duke Glacia
Thats Great :congrats:I was also giving advice from a Highschool sstudent prepping for Physics olympiads(its really fun )

Glad you enjoy olympiads. Unfortunately, high school students have a lot to learn about how unis work and the application process so please refrain from giving/contradicting advice about things you may not know too much about.
Reply 7
Thanks all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending