The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Computer Science @ Lancaster

I received an offer for CS here after 10 days of posting my UCAS. Is Lancaster really the nightmare people on the TSR are calling it?

I really regret putting it on my choices now because all I read are more and more horror stories of "how bad lecturers are" but I tell myself that these guys probably didn't listen or concentrate in their lectures. I'm one of those people that learn really well from lectures so don't want to have a bad time!

I also don't do maths so I won't have a strong foundation of knowledge.

Thanks.
Reply 1
As a 3rd year I haven't really had any complaints - there were a few modules that I wasn't too fond of but with a broad subject like CS that's probably to be expected. Lecturers have all been generally good, no problems there.

I assume some went into CS expecting it to be purely coding in every module which isn't the case, it's certainly required but not always the main focus. If that's what you're expecting then Software Engineering or another Uni would be more appropriate.

The maths content is quite light to be honest, as long as you did well at GCSE level you'd be fine.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TSRLanc
As a 3rd year I haven't really had any complaints - there were a few modules that I wasn't too fond of but with a broad subject like CS that's probably to be expected. Lecturers have all been generally good, no problems there.

I assume some went into CS expecting it to be purely coding in every module which isn't the case, it's certainly required but not always the main focus. If that's what you're expecting then Software Engineering or another Uni would be more appropriate.

The maths content is quite light to be honest, as long as you did well at GCSE level you'd be fine.

Thanks for this :smile:

So what should I be expecting? I don't mind not coding I just want to really know what you mean - are you talking about hardware, or something else?
Reply 3
Original post by TrojanH
Thanks for this :smile:

So what should I be expecting? I don't mind not coding I just want to really know what you mean - are you talking about hardware, or something else?

If you were to take CS as your major and minor in 1st year you'd take 6 modules; 1 of which is literally just programming whereas the other 5 cover a range of topics: set theory & big O, databases, business ethics, user experience design, computer architecture, audio/video processing etc. Pretty much covering every angle to get everyone up to speed before 2nd year.
Reply 4
Original post by TSRLanc
If you were to take CS as your major and minor in 1st year you'd take 6 modules; 1 of which is literally just programming whereas the other 5 cover a range of topics: set theory & big O, databases, business ethics, user experience design, computer architecture, audio/video processing etc. Pretty much covering every angle to get everyone up to speed before 2nd year.

Is the course heavily maths based - what a levels did you take (and grades of those) as I didn't do maths so want to know if I can cope well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TrojanH
Is the course heavily maths based - what a levels did you take (and grades of those) as I didn't do maths so want to know if I can cope well

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, one module in first year covers some maths topics from A level (composite / inverse / recursive functions) and boolean algebra but it's fairly easy to grasp anyway. I took CS (A), Electronics (A) and Maths (C) but it just meant I could skip some lectures :tongue:.
Reply 6
Original post by TrojanH
I received an offer for CS here after 10 days of posting my UCAS. Is Lancaster really the nightmare people on the TSR are calling it?

I really regret putting it on my choices now because all I read are more and more horror stories of "how bad lecturers are" but I tell myself that these guys probably didn't listen or concentrate in their lectures. I'm one of those people that learn really well from lectures so don't want to have a bad time!

I also don't do maths so I won't have a strong foundation of knowledge.

Thanks.

Whats your offer?
I'm sure you'll all do fine with the Maths, if you didn't do it at A-Level you'll just have to work that bit harder. As for Lancaster being a "nightmare"; I found this very amusing. The student(s) who said that is either from York, just lazy and never bothered attending lectures or maybe they're just thick!

Lancasters Computer Science degree is the most employable in the country (Source: Sunday Times). Therefore, the content being taught must be relatively hard to grasp, and hence maybe why student satisfaction is low in some league tables.

-- 2nd Year CompSci
Reply 8
Half of my modules are CS and considering I haven;t done anything similar before I'm coping ok, the lecturers are really helpful when you're struggling and you soon pick it up etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending