The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When I was learning, I got really fed up with manual because I wasn't used to it. I thought auto was the way to go because it's much easier. Now I really want to go back and practice more on a manual. Feels like it gives much more control (and it does).

Actually, it depends really.. If it's in a busy city I would prefer auto. If it's going along a country road, small town, highway, I would prefer manual.

There's always semi-auto as well but there's no clutch pedal and many are jerky.
Reply 2
wesetters
I've never actually driven an auto, but I think I'd feel less in control, so I chose manual.
Yeh that's the reason why I prefer manual :p: :ninja:

I was too shy to say it hehe, so thanks.

Man what is it with me, I'm becoming uber shy (I mean I always have been shy, but lately hmm) yesterday at work I was taking out the trash and I was too embarrased to ask the local grocery store for a trolley, even though my boss asked me too, nevermind. Back to topic! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm the same, never driven an auto. Decided to learn in a manual so I had the option of driving both, but I'm not that bothered about driving an auto really, don't mind driving a manual and don't think I would feel as in control in an auto.
Reply 4
Never driven an auto, dont like the idea of it to be honest. Im quite happy driving a manual anyway
is insurance cheaper with auto or manual?
Reply 6
A monkey could drive an automatic.

Manual for the win, that's what drivings about :smile:
Always had manuals but next car I am gonna buy will be much more modern and will almost certainly be AUTO.

Why keep bashing your left leg if you don't have to ? Saying that I am someone who drives a car to get to B from A. Not smeone who does it for the 'thrill'.
I much prefere manual cars, I like to feel as though im actually driving. For me driving autos feels a bit too much like driving in one of those arcade car games.
I have a semi automatic at the minute (for anyone who doesnt know, you still have to change gear but there is no clutch)
Its ok, but id much rather have another manual car
Reply 9
They are basically the same, if you drive an auto or a manual on a day - day basis, an auto is easier. If you drive a car around a race track or country lanes all the time then obviously you go for manual.

Neither one is better per se, they both have their own advantages and disadvantages, just for normal driving, an automatic is easier because you don't have a clutch/hill starts/etc etc.

Graham
Reply 10
Automatics make for faster cars....
Reply 11
I've never driven an Auto car, but drove one of the latest auto/semi auto tractors t'other day (farmer alert...) and it was awful. I want my own gears back. Manual FTW.
Reply 12
JC.
Automatics make for faster cars....

Ummm...only on automatic boxes designed to be on the race track/drag strip/fast cars.

Most auto boxes make the car slower in acceleration and top speed.

On good cars your right though :smile:
:eek: I thought there'd be more auto drivers!
Reply 14
i think smaller cars (e.g. fiesta, polo etc) are better suited to manual gearboxes and larger cars are better with auto
Reply 15
Driving manual, ofcourse.... the power!! :biggrin:
Reply 16
steve2k6
i think smaller cars (e.g. fiesta, polo etc) are better suited to manual gearboxes and larger cars are better with auto

Why?? It's the other way around if anything.
Reply 17
Nessyfencer
Why?? It's the other way around if anything.

An Auto transmission kills small cars due to the combined effect of the extra weight, and the fact Auto boxes suck the power from small engines.

If you want to add 3/4 seconds to acceleration times, decrease MPG, and make the car more sluggish, then go ahead, get an auto lol
Reply 18
Manual easily. Only time I can think that it's better to have an auto is if you're disabled or old. If you're old, usually you shouldn't be on the road anyway, so that leaves just disabled.

You can't keep an auto in gear for acceleration purposes :smile:
Reply 19
gbduo
Ummm...only on automatic boxes designed to be on the race track/drag strip/fast cars.

Most auto boxes make the car slower in acceleration and top speed.

On good cars your right though :smile:

Graham you're way off.
acceleration and top speed are dicitated by the gear ratios inside the gearbox and the final drive ratio.
The nice thing about an autobox is you can, if you wish, tune them to the engine. You can set the change to occur to drop the revs right on the peak of the torque curve for the hardest possible acceleration.

Although, I would conceed that on a small car a manual box is the best way to get the best use of the power band.

Latest

Trending

Trending