The Student Room Group

Photography a-level for architecture instead of physics?

I'm picking my a-level choices soon and i don't know if picking Photography a-level is fine instead of art (i didn't do art either at gcse), so i wanted to know if a photography-like portfolio would be accepted or not?
- my current other subjects i'm willing to take are Maths, Economics, (maybe chemistry/an essay based subject ), Photography.

(and arabic a2 that i'll do in year 12)
Hey I just started my A Levels and I'm taking art, maths, history and product design - I also want to do architecture at uni! I've looked at a few universities already, some of them suggest you to take art and to bring a portfolio into the interview (only Bath and Cambridge I think). You should be fine with photography if you don't want to apply to those two and looking to apply somewhere like cardiff, newcastle, sheffield, oxford brookes etc.

Hope this helped (i'm not exactly an expert haha)
Reply 2
Thank you, and sorry to disturb again but how do you find maths and do you think product design is a good substitute for art, and how are you finding it? - by the way, my main concern about art is that it is very time-consuming and there is a lot of irrelevant things to do to get a really high grade (and i did not take it or any art based subject for gcse) which is why i am very hesitant in taking it as a subject/choosing one that i am certain of at the moment.
So, right now my choices that i am 80% sure about taking are:
Maths, (art based subject, like ones mentioned previously), philosophy and ethics, economics, and arabic (which is an extra)
What do you think?
And instead of the art-based subject do you think it would be better for me if i just took a art portfolio prep course outside of sixth form and replace it with another subject? And if so, what subjects do you recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest