The Student Room Group

Anyone been rejected and accepted with the same personal statement

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has written a personal statement that one uni has rejected and others offered interviews. Feeling really disheartened as had my first rejection with no feedback. I am applying for child nursing and only have experience with adults in healthcare however wrote how my personal statement as my college advised putting in my experience and saying how it could be transferable etc . College said it was fine and off it went.
When i phoned for feedback was told it wasnt geared enough toward the child field and now am so worried every uni is going to see it the same. Any advice? :-(
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butterflies198
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has written a personal statement that one uni has rejected and others offered interviews. Feeling really disheartened as had my first rejection with no feedback. I am applying for child nursing and only have experience with adults in healthcare however wrote how my personal statement as my college advised putting in my experience and saying how it could be transferable etc . College said it was fine and off it went.
When i phoned for feedback was told it wasnt geared enough toward the child field and now am so worried every uni is going to see it the same. Any advice? :-(

Nursing is an incredibly competitive subject. in fact, at most unis, it receives more applications per place than medicine and dentistry, though the quality of applicants is also much more variable. Child nursing is typically the most competitive branch of nursing to get into, after midwifery.

For this reason, you really shouldn't be surprised by getting some rejections. Only time will tell if you will get interviews at the other unis, and I certainly wouldn't lose hope yet - you still have four more unis to hear back from.

Worst case scenario, you'll end up taking a year out and doing some child-related work experience during that year (perhaps even working as an HCA?). A gap year doesn't have to be a negative thing at all - I had an unexpected gap year and it turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me :yep:
Hi

How could your college allow you to do that???? Child nursing or any type of nursing is really, really competitive. To stand a chance you need experience in that exact field. You should have done work experience working with children at least, your college should have advised you to do that or apply for adult nursing. Hmm - don't be too disheartened though, gain some experience working with children - then maybe through extra you can try applying again or even a different course. Everything works out :smile: x
Hi

I am applying to child nursing as well, i have also had a rejection but offered 3 interviews, many universities don't offer interviews straight away and it can take up to a few months. Also with your expierience, don't worry too much as in your interview, you can tell them that you are planning expierience with children after your interview, just make sure you know why it's child nursing you're interested in. Hope everything works out 😊
I got rejected and accepted by the same uni so... :')
Thanks everyone i feel a bit better now knowing people get rejected and then get interviews. I guess i didnt really have a back up plan as i didnt want to take a gap year with this being my first year in 10 that i have studied ! Just crossing everything I get given a chance by some one :-)
I've also had two rejections (edge hill and Liverpool John moores). I have had over 100 hours work experience with children though (within a pre-school, a nursery and a primary school)- but my personal statement let me down. Dying to receive at least an interview- has anyone heard anything from either Chester, UCLAN or Sheffield Hallam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im sorry to hear that! My rejections came from Edge hill and LJM also! Waiting for reply off UcLan and chester. They must be being really tough this year!
We've applied to the same universities! I'm also waiting for a reply from UCLAN, Chester and Sheffield:smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh when did you send off your Ucas? Im desp to hear from Uclan as thats my preference. I have heard Chester is quite hard to get into . Iv applied to Manchester too :-) x
I sent my ucas six days ago and have had acknowledgement emails and had a letter from UCLAN thanking me for my application- have you had one of those and when did you send your ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it was last thursday so just after you. No not had a letter yet. A few people that applied the week before me from my college have been getting interviews this week . Seems everyone is but me :,(
Honestly don't worry! They must send these letters to everyone as I've had two! You'll be fine- there's also a high chance that we would end up at the same uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Hey just to let u know ive had two offers (sheffield, hull) and two rejections (leeds,nottingham) and an interview at manchester so dont be too disheartened love
I'm really worried as I've had two rejections and my worst nightmare is to wait a year. But I suppose no news is good news- as I haven't heard from Sheffield, Chester and UCLAN.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh congratulations on your offers! How long did Manchester take to come back to you?

We may end up at the same place. Where are you hoping for? Im just worried as all the other Childrens Nursing applicants in my class have interviews at edge hill so it really upset me ,even though im made up for them!
I was absolutely heart broken- but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm first choice at the moment is between UCLAN and Chester, I'm actually going to UCLAN tomorrow to have a look around ect. They also take like 45 places instead of 20ish like other places do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes i went the open day 45 ish they said but 500 applicants :-( . Manchester has 80 places . Not sure about chester as iv never been and realisticly its a bit far but any offer would be great! Know the feeling i was so upset when i got my rejection emails !!
I'm just hoping to hear from my remaining three soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well good luck with it :-) x

Latest

Trending

Trending