The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user10175
Hey everyone!Can anybody tell me how lenient is Durham on their offers? I want to study maths and I think I got A*A*B instead of A*AA. The B is not maths btw. Also, do they still accept near miss even if Durham is ur insurance choice? I'm stressing out so much...

Update??
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I have Been accepted onto pharmacy at Durham , has anyone got any important info about the course or uni that they can share with me? Like what to expect? Employment prospects ?
Reply 1022
Hey everyone!Can anybody tell me how lenient is Durham on their offers? I want to study maths and I think I got A*A*B instead of A*AA. The B is not maths btw. Also, do they still accept near miss even if Durham is ur insurance choice? I'm stressing out so much...

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do and did you get in?
Original post by LCDunkerley
Hi hope all of your exams went well! Congrats on your offers. Who else applied for criminology?

Hey :smile: I have & got the place last week. Are you in too?
What offer do you get for mechanical engineering at Durham?

Hey I'm going to study Maths at Durham. I hope you get accepted! I know it's possible for them to accept near miss insurance offer holders so I wouldn't stress yourself too much. I look forward to seeing you there
Original post by LPauling
Update??

Hey Durham did not accept me. In fact they rejected me right away.... Fortunately I got accepted to my firm choice which was a nearmiss as well :smile:
Reply 1027
Hey Durham did not accept me. In fact they rejected me right away.... Fortunately I got accepted to my firm choice which was a nearmiss as well :smile:

Good to hear you got into your firm!, I was also 'immediately' rejected for natural sciences after getting AAB (B was in chemistry, yet I got an A* in EPQ but they don't give a **** about it) when they wanted A*AA, although some near misses were let in, I guess I wasn't 'near enough' although both my As were close to A*. My insurance UCL also turned me down with AAA, which I feel worse about since that was a near miss.
On Durham's website they say they consider people for other courses - I doubt they can be bothered with this, I've never heard anyone get a different course - I could've been considered for Geoscience for example which is AAB and similar to natural sciences.

I have ended up at Nottingham for natural sciences, the same course I originally applied for with them but I declined first time around, and it should be an A*AA course but they let me in via clearing with my grades, but I wonder whether I'll actually be happy there at all, due to the difference in reputation and who knows I might drop out and reapply to Durham or Imperial next year (forget UCL!!!)
ANYONE DOING NATURAL SCIENCES!!!!
Really want to move onto Physics... How likely would that be? 😭 I hold A*AA, A* in Physics, A's in Maths and Further. Helppppp!!!
Original post by shravanmv
Hi Guys,

Got an offer to do PhD in Civil Engineering under Marie Curie Fellowship. Hope its going to be good time in Durham.!

Sravan MV

Congrats on the PhD! I'm starting mine this year too :smile: What college did you get?
Original post by Agax2468
Subject: Natural Sciences (Anthropology and Biology)
Offer: Above 700 on SAT II Biology (I am an international applicant from the US, so no A levels) and above 6.5 on IELTS(English language proficiency exam. Apparently having lived in the United States since I was one didn't convince the office of admissions I spoke English, but oh well. It ought to be an easy exam. )
College: It says campus code Z, I have no clue what that means,

I applied in early October since I am also applying to Oxford.

For the benefit of other US applicants what did they say?

How did you change it?

In addition, I have never visited Durham, so I wouldn't mind if someone could tell me the main differences between colleges, and maybe recommend one. I would prefer an older college.

You might find my YouTube video useful! This is my "Choosing a College" video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sia3IdkFHgU
Original post by AgnesDioxide
ANYONE DOING NATURAL SCIENCES!!!!
Really want to move onto Physics... How likely would that be? 😭 I hold A*AA, A* in Physics, A's in Maths and Further. Helppppp!!!

I got A*A*A* in Maths, Further and French and I have just changed course from Maths to Natural Sciences which I didnt think I could because the only science I have is Maths but they said it was based on 'academic merit'. From my understanding you want to switch from NatSci to Physics however Physics requires A*A*A so it's my understanding that you may find some difficulty doing that. However when you arrive you may find a way to swap who knows.

My advice otherwise would be to stick to NatSci (who knows you may love the breadth) and take Physics and Maths modules as Physics at uni is apparently very heavy on Maths so there's no harm there and maybe do 80/40 Physics/Maths, taking modules in Physics which keep doors open and then see if you can transfer in the 2nd Year :smile:
Business Management @ Stephenson... anyone similar?

Quick Reply

Latest