The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 20 - does it make any difference?

(edited 6 years ago)
I study education studies, and majority of people are 20 above, 18 year old's don't take up the whole course lol. All sorts of people be at uni, and you'll fit in :smile:
It won't make a shred of difference. People worry about so much stuff before they go to uni and it's all honestly a waste of time and nonsense to worry about.
Reply 3
You'll meet loads of students your age and older!

I'm 22 and still the youngest in my flat.
There'll be a load of 19 year olds feeling the same way. I'll be 19 going on 20 and I'm terrified I won't fit in, so don't worry. There will be a lot of people who aren't 18 when they start at uni who'll feel the same as you so there'll be a lot of people you can make friends with, even if we don't fit in with the younger ones :smile:
When I started I was 20 and no it didn't make a shred of difference.

There really is no difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old.
Reply 6
Just coming from the perspective of someone who started uni at 18. I was very happily friends with someone who was in her 30s. I don't think anyone cares when their class mates are older than them. There was a wide range of ages on my course anyway.
Original post by jambojim97
Okay, so I started a course this year and found it really wasn't for me. I switched at the last minute because I thought it would give me more career prospects, but turns out I didnt like it and wouldn't like any jobs related to it. Furthermore, the main paths I'm considering are not degree-specific, just wanting a 2.1 etc.

So I'm taking a leave of absence and going back to the same uni in September to study what I originally applied for. However, by that time I'll be 20 going on 21 and I'm worried I'll feel too old/ not fit in with 18 year olds etc.

So can anyone tell me their experience of going to uni at 20? Will it make a difference? I'm seriously considering just lying about my age saying I'm 19 going on 20....

No, it won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Okay, so I started a course this year and found it really wasn't for me. I switched at the last minute because I thought it would give me more career prospects, but turns out I didnt like it and wouldn't like any jobs related to it. Furthermore, the main paths I'm considering are not degree-specific, just wanting a 2.1 etc.

So I'm taking a leave of absence and going back to the same uni in September to study what I originally applied for. However, by that time I'll be 20 going on 21 and I'm worried I'll feel too old/ not fit in with 18 year olds etc.

So can anyone tell me their experience of going to uni at 20? Will it make a difference? I'm seriously considering just lying about my age saying I'm 19 going on 20....

ffs why take an absence of leave

going to uni at an older age is ****ing atrocious. You will not fit in with anybody and living in halls (if you are going to) will be a pain in the arse.

I'm not coping in uni because i'm going to graduate at 24, now do you think that is fun. Oh yeah, and also you may 96% not fit in with 18-19 year olds in anywhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Why?

FYI I'm probably going to a different uni now...

stay in uni please. I wish i went to uni when i was 18 but i suffered multiple breakdowns. It's worse for me because i'm doing a foundation year so its 4 years of pain for me.

Remember once you have any degree, you have a better chance in an entirely different career if you like
Original post by Uyi 95
ffs why take an absence of leave

going to uni at an older age is ****ing atrocious. You will not fit in with anybody and living in halls (if you are going to) will be a pain in the arse.

I'm not coping in uni because i'm going to graduate at 24, now do you think that is fun. Oh yeah, and also you may 96% not fit in with 18-19 year olds in anywhere.

Awesome, you are now representative of the entire mature student population..

Get a grip bro, stop trying to overcomplicate life, you need to stretch yourself a bit more if you think that's the end of the world.

What difference does it make graduating at 24? You still have another 30-40 bloody years of working ahead of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Princepieman
Awesome, you are now representative of the entire mature student population..

Get a grip bro, stop trying to overcomplicate life, you need to stretch yourself a bit more if you think that's the end of the world.

What difference does it make graduating at 24? You still have another 30-40 bloody years of working ahead of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a crazy ambition to be a Headteacher or boss before 30, is it too much to ask?

thats why i wanted to be in uni at 18 but no, i'm stuck in the wrong era. Mature students don't even do well in uni (there's a 60 year old in my course and he looks so upset everyday)

Don't worry about it, my mum went to uni at 30 after having me as a kid and still came out of uni with a 2:1 at a RG uni
Original post by Uyi 95
I have a crazy ambition to be a Headteacher or boss before 30, is it too much to ask?

thats why i wanted to be in uni at 18 but no, i'm stuck in the wrong era. Mature students don't even do well in uni (there's a 60 year old in my course and he looks so upset everyday)

Yes, given how bureaucratic schools can be, that is an unrealistic goal. If you push it back to 35-40, sure, but It's just unlikely that you'll make headteacher in 5 ish years.

Again, you're AT uni. Doesn't matter when you started, you're still there. If you weren't there, the whole ambition of being a headteacher would be a non-starter. Embrace the opportunity you have in front of you whilst it's still there.
Reply 14
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, given how bureaucratic schools can be, that is an unrealistic goal. If you push it back to 35-40, sure, but It's just unlikely that you'll make headteacher in 5 ish years.

Again, you're AT uni. Doesn't matter when you started, you're still there. If you weren't there, the whole ambition of being a headteacher would be a non-starter. Embrace the opportunity you have in front of you whilst it's still there.

My ambition really is secondary teaching. I just don't feel comfortable (despite many people not seeing what is actually wrong with this) staying in uni for 4 years with a foundation year. If i decide to a masters degree, it will be 5 years of uni.

The thing is that next year i will be a first year AGAIN, meaning all the people, all my flatmates will be second year. I mean ffs, i will be a first year at age 21 with 18 years olds, worst THAN THIS YEAR.

I know it isn't seen as an issue in people's eyes but i don't feel comfortable with being a first year again
I have wasted 5 years of my life, in the country I study the average age of university students is one of the highest in the world. I am 20 and began my degree a few months ago, there are students who are 22-28, one is even 34.

I don't even know why it should make a difference. I am 2-3 years late to the university thing, but that really couldn't be helped (no I didn't repeat a levels or anything just started late).
I'll be 20 when I go to university as well, due to several complicated issues dating back to GCSE level.

I think the age difference is small enough that most people wouldn't notice unless you told them. I think everyone's been in a situation where they meet an 18 year old who they mistook for being 21, or vice versa. Some people look/act older, some people look/act younger. And ultimately, though 21+ is classified as a "mature student", that's not what people think of when they hear the word. I'd say 25+ is probably when you'll be finding a bit of a gulf between yourself and the undergraduate populace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending