The Student Room Group

I bumped a parked car, left a note.. what else do I do?

As in the title, I careless bumped the wheel arch of a parked car while attempting to park. Left a note with my mobile number. I took a picture of the wheel arch but stupidly forgot to get the number plate.

They haven't called yet, (did it this morning in shopping centre) so I am imagining them sitting at home calling the police about me etc. I am obviously happy to pay for damage, or I wouldn't have left the note (wasn't witnessed by anyone)

This is my first ever bump, do I tell the police that I forgot to get their number plate? I also didn't leave my name on the note or anything, just a mobile?

Worrying about this, especially as they haven't called. Any advice?

Also when they do call do I give them my insurance details or do I ask them to go get quotes then send them a cheque?

Thanks all.
How bad was the damage?
Original post by instamatic
As in the title, I careless bumped the wheel arch of a parked car while attempting to park. Left a note with my mobile number. I took a picture of the wheel arch but stupidly forgot to get the number plate.

They haven't called yet, (did it this morning in shopping centre) so I am imagining them sitting at home calling the police about me etc. I am obviously happy to pay for damage, or I wouldn't have left the note (wasn't witnessed by anyone)

This is my first ever bump, do I tell the police that I forgot to get their number plate? I also didn't leave my name on the note or anything, just a mobile?

Also when they do call do I give them my insurance details or do I ask them to go get quotes then send them a cheque?

Thanks all.

You're not very god at this running away business, are you?
Reply 3
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
You're not very god at this running away business, are you?

Why would I want to run away? I'd be pretty upset if someone damaged my car and didn't try to make it right.

Original post by LiquidGold
How bad was the damage?

Damage wasn't too bad, scraped at the paint over the wheel arch. Bad enough that they would want it fixed though. My car is fine from it really, just a few streaks I could wipe away and minor scratches.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why would I want to run away? I'd be pretty upset if someone damaged my car and didn't try to make it right.

I'd leg it if I were you.

Spoiler

You did the right thing, I've heard of loads of people having parking bumps and just driving away. I actually know someone whose big pick up truck actually picked up another car, damaged all the door etc then still drove away.

How bad was the damage? Most likely they won't want to claim insurance for something so small, they'll ring you and make you pay unless they're not at all bothered about their car. Not getting the number plate was quite a big mistake, as they might try to take you round the block in terms of what you pay for.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They might not even notice it and think "why on earth has someone just left a number here?" and throw it away. In this case, thank your lucky stars.
Reply 6
Original post by jackhaugh
You did the right thing, I've heard of loads of people having parking bumps and just driving away. I actually know someone whose big pick up truck actually picked up another car, damaged all the door etc then still drove away.

How bad was the damage? Most likely they won't want to claim insurance for something so small, they'll ring you and make you pay unless they're not at all bothered about their car. Not getting the number plate was quite a big mistake, as they might try to take you round the block in terms of what you pay for.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They might not even notice it and think "why on earth has someone just left a number here?" and throw it away. In this case, thank your lucky stars.

No it's really a noticeable scratch! I I'm more worried why they haven't called.

Why would the numberplate error make me pay more?

Thanks for responses everyone.
If they don't call, they're not too worried about it. Nothing else will happen
I'd just wait for them to call. You've given them your details so if they want to get money out of you then they'll be in touch.

I dinged a car last year, but I didn't have my phone or a pen and paper with me so I had to drive home to grab it all so I could leave a note and take some photos. This happened in a busy multi-storey car park, so obviously a lot of people saw. I phoned the Police to notify them that I'd hit the car because to everyone who witnessed me hitting the car it looked like I'd just run away. I came back with a note about an hour later.
and returned later with a note,. I don't think it's necessary for you though; if I'd been able to leave a note at the time of the incident I wouldn't have phoned the Police. Interestingly, the owner never got in touch with me about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some people really don't care about the state of their car... most people like me, just use it for transport and couldn't care less about scratches and patches of ripped paint (looks unprofessional I know... but eh, not worth the money when all I want a car for is transport).

Honestly, don't worry about not being called... they most likely don't care about it... or they would rather just pay for the fix themself rather than go through the hassle of calling you, discussing payment methods etc. Not to mention... it may even be possible that you clipped the car of a mechanic/car painter or someone who has close ties to one - and thus pretty much be able to fix it for free.
don't worry about the number plate.

You have a photo of the damage that you caused, ( possibly unknown to them) and if done on a phone will be datestamped.

Be aware that they could try to claim for more damage than you caused, but as you have a photo, it's hard to prove.
I don't know how long you can go before any claim can be regarded as out of reasonable time.

(i.e. if you don't hear after 90 days, it may be ok to assume that nothing will happen)

Thanks all.

did they get in touch OP ?
Reply 12
Confess your sins to the Lord Jesus Christ and drink of His cup of Salvation?
Reply 13
They didn't get in touch yet. I phoned the non-urgent police line who said I had done everything they thought I should have done, but I could leave a log if I wanted to. So I did that - so in case the note did fly away or whatever they can't claim I didn't try!

I am fine with everyone on the thread thinking I am a bit soft about this! But I feel like I did the right thing anyway (and what I would want someone to do for me if they bumped me). Appreciate the replies.
Since it's a noticeable scratch , you did the right thing. If it was virtually nothing then i would have drove on.
mate youre absolutely ****ed, i suggest running away and starting a new life somewhere. theres probably an undercover hitman after you RIGHT now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending