The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eveliina97
Hahaha let's hope they will!

My second one was St Catz, tbh I was hoping to get allocated to an older and more beautiful college but it was actually a really nice place :smile:

Can't get past the thought that the tutors are actually grading our interviews and examining our applications and having discussions about us like right now lol

I was hoping for a old one too so I could visit both a newer college and an older one but I'm pretty happy with LMH since it's essentially St Hugh's but with a bit less people

Apparently they usually have their decisions done a week afterwards but they don't get to send out decisions until 3 weeks after :frown:
the tutors told me they will have decided by tomorrow LOL
Original post by Beenieeee

(tomorrow being Friday)Somewhere, pictures of our faces are sat ranked at this very moment :afraid:After my interviews, I can't expect anything but a rejection but I wish it came before the holidaysThis week was definitely the PERFECT time to doubt whether I even want to do medicine anymore (I really, really do but I don't think I even slightly came across that way so YAY ME :biggrin:)
Aaaagghhh that's horrible! Imagine, there the decisions are during Christmas and New Year, just lying around waiting to be sent

they're definitely just going 'haha look at all these applicants stressing out over christmas when i've already decided their fates'
Original post by not you
they're definitely just going 'haha look at all these applicants stressing out over christmas when i've already decided their fates'

I heard it was so we would be back at school 'with a support system in place' LOOOOL

did yours go okay? :smile:

everyone was SO lovely and I really want most people I spoke to getting in
I heard it was so we would be back at school 'with a support system in place' LOOOOL

did yours go okay? :smile:

everyone was SO lovely and I really want most people I spoke to getting in

If 'okay' means 'nope not at all' then yes, they went okay

Same with mine except like 80% of people didn't apply to my college lmao
Reply 47
Original post by not you

Or, sometimes, when you have a really difficult decision, you just keep putting it off, so you you set yourself a generous deadline?

Just sayin'.
Original post by Pars12
Or, sometimes, when you have a really difficult decision, you just keep putting it off, so you you set yourself a generous deadline?

Just sayin'.

While that may be what they actually do, in this setting we're working off the assumption that they'll have decided by tomorrow, and that they are actually sadistic monsters who just sit in their offices basking in the despair and anxiety of applicants who are tentatively awaiting the letters that may change their life, and hence will say something dastardly along the lines of 'haha look at all these applicants stressing out over christmas when i've already decided their fates'
Reply 49
Original post by not you
While that may be what they actually do, in this setting we're working off the assumption that they'll have decided by tomorrow, and that they are actually sadistic monsters who just sit in their offices basking in the despair and anxiety of applicants who are tentatively awaiting the letters that may change their life, and hence will say something dastardly along the lines of 'haha look at all these applicants stressing out over christmas when i've already decided their fates'

Fair.
Original post by not you

Can confirm no further meetings take place after today. Decisions are all made.

The reason they changed it was because the administrators who send out the e-mails have to work really hard to do it before Christmas and I believe a couple of mistakes were made (no source, just rumour).
Original post by not you
If 'okay' means 'nope not at all' then yes, they went okay

Same with mine except like 80% of people didn't apply to my college lmao

Same :smile: it's cool, just a bunch of dumb, beautiful buildings and world leading academics, whatevsss.

And same for St Hilda's lmao
A lot of medics actually just stayed in their rooms though

At St John's it was a bit weird though - we were literally just put in a room for the whole 4 hours (all 8 medics for that slot) - but St John's is massive so that kinda makes sense
Original post by nexttime
Can confirm no further meetings take place after today. Decisions are all made.

The reason they changed it was because the administrators who send out the e-mails have to work really hard to do it before Christmas and I believe a couple of mistakes were made (no source, just rumour).

Working in admin at this time of year must suck so much

'hey are you coming home for christmas?'
'no sorry I need to stay at the office and bask in the despair of applicants until Jan 6'

Same :smile: it's cool, just a bunch of dumb, beautiful buildings and world leading academics, whatevsss.

And same for St Hilda's lmao
A lot of medics actually just stayed in their rooms though

At St John's it was a bit weird though - we were literally just put in a room for the whole 4 hours (all 8 medics for that slot) - but St John's is massive so that kinda makes sense

St Hugh's was empty when I arrived on the Saturday, literally 2 people in the JCR and every other early person was sitting in their room. There were about 6 out of 9 medics who came out of their rooms on Sunday though, so I guess they're not all unsociable-people-who-will-therefore-do-worse-than-me-in-interviews
Original post by not you

'no sorry I need to stay at the office and bask in the despair of applicants until Jan 6'

Overtime pay makes the pain go away. :h:
Original post by not you

St Hugh's was empty when I arrived on the Saturday, literally 2 people in the JCR and every other early person was sitting in their room. There were about 6 out of 9 medics who came out of their rooms on Sunday though, so I guess they're not all unsociable-people-who-will-therefore-do-worse-than-me-in-interviews

It's weird to think all 425 (probably a few less) medics were there at some point in 48 hours 😳
It's weird to think all 425 (probably a few less) medics were there at some point in 48 hours 😳

Poor interviewers, having to deal with 425 interviews in 48 hours and decide on the best 150 a couple of days after
Reply 56
Original post by not you
I had my interviews 13-14th and I found that, at my colleges at least, they asked me about a single sentence of my ps and spent a whole lot more time on the scientific questions

I know what you mean, in two of my interviews the ps wasnt even mentioned. But in the other two, I was asked a couple of detailed questions about volunteering and wider reading. So who knows, the Oxbridge interviews are supposed to be kinda mysterious.
Reply 57
Original post by Eveliina97
How did your interviews go everybody? One of mine was just catastrophic lol, I keep getting these horrible flashbacks about all the idiotic stuff I managed to get out of my mouth during those 20 minutes :ahhhhh:
But I think/hope that the other three went fine!

I empathise so much with this, my last one at Exeter was 100% hideous. I felt so thick afterwards! :banghead:
How do we know if we get a physical letter or an e-mail? I know that Hertford only sends physical letters but does anyone know about how Trinity does?
Original post by smallswedish
How do we know if we get a physical letter or an e-mail? I know that Hertford only sends physical letters but does anyone know about how Trinity does?

Regarding decisions:
"Previously, letters could go out on the final week of interviews. Nowadays, however, every college in the University will send a letter at the same time. For 2016 entry this will be on January 6th. Colleges usually send a letter, but some send an accompanying email as well. Do not worry if you haven't got an email! Further, don't expect UCAS Track to update for a week or so. Each college will send all letters (rejections and acceptances) out at once. These are normally sent first class."
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending