The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Question for Cardiff Students Regarding Two Campuses

So I've only just noticed that Cardiff has two seperate campuses - one for medicine (Heath park) and one for other courses(the main campus - forgot its name). I'm applying for medicine and this worries me - will I be cut off from the rest of the uni and other students if I'm at this campus? Would I be able to live around the other campus while doing medicine
Reply 1
The two campuses really aren't that far apart from one another tbh, you'll be fine. I would prioritise accommodation close to where you'll actually be studying (because getting out of bed for uni is a struggle you will never fully overcome!) - walking 15 minutes or so for the more social stuff really won't do you much harm in terms of interacting with people from other courses. By the time you're in second year basically everyone lives in Cathays or thereabouts regardless.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
If you're doing medicine I wouldn't worry about being segregated. Medics do that themselves! They have a medic version of every sports team, their own varsity, constant socials and balls. A lot of people I lived with last year did medicine and wanted to live apart so they had a range of friends from different courses. A year later and they're all going into houses with just medics.
But first year, your lectures are split between the Heath Park campus, and the Bioscience building in the Cathays campus.
Original post by Mojojojo
If you're doing medicine I wouldn't worry about being segregated. Medics do that themselves! They have a medic version of every sports team, their own varsity, constant socials and balls. A lot of people I lived with last year did medicine and wanted to live apart so they had a range of friends from different courses. A year later and they're all going into houses with just medics.
But first year, your lectures are split between the Heath Park campus, and the Bioscience building in the Cathays campus.

Hi their! Is the medic teams open to the student nurses too? Would certainly love to get involved if I get offered a place at Cardiff
Original post by shotsboy123
Hi their! Is the medic teams open to the student nurses too? Would certainly love to get involved if I get offered a place at Cardiff

Yeah they are mate. Have a look on the SU website at all the clubs. I think they're called medic___, but actually they're open to all healthcare students
Original post by Mojojojo
Yeah they are mate. Have a look on the SU website at all the clubs. I think they're called medic___, but actually they're open to all healthcare students

That's brilliant! Thanks very much buddy.
Original post by plsgivemeanoffer
So I've only just noticed that Cardiff has two seperate campuses - one for medicine (Heath park) and one for other courses(the main campus - forgot its name). I'm applying for medicine and this worries me - will I be cut off from the rest of the uni and other students if I'm at this campus? Would I be able to live around the other campus while doing medicine

Im a first year medical student at cardiff!

in actual fact for the first 12 weeks you spend 2/5 days at the main campus and 3/5 days at the heath campus! so your not segragated at all.

remember you will live with non-medics and go to the same clubs and socials (although there are some med only socials) as everyone else.

I would reccomend living in taly, as its a 25 minute walk from heath, a 15 minute walk from cathays and where 80% of medics live in first year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending