The Student Room Group

One or two weeks.

(Hopefully) I will be getting some work experience in a ward at a hopsital, but I can get one or two weeks - this will be in the summer. I know that I would benefit from just one week in the ward and I'd get everything I wanted out of it (I think), but would two weeks automatically be a better option? I already have 6 months volunteering for mentally handicapped children, and will have 6 months at a resedential home by the time I write my PS, and I have a week in a completely different department of the hopsital. So, I don't have much atcual work experience, more volunteer work. SO whatcha all think?

Ta
Reply 1
I'd do the two weeks but that's purely because i'd want to do it. You should be enjoying your work expeience not just be doing it for your PS. If i were you i'd get some work exprience in a GP as well as it can sometimes be more interesting than the hospital work experience imo :smile:

So, ye go for the two weeks if you want, unless ofcourse if you have something else planned for the summer which you think would be more beneficial.
Reply 2
Well I do want to it, it's just that in the summer holiday I might be working but I think I'm going to do the two weeks anyway. And, I will try and get some decent Gp work experience. However, everyone I know says all they can offer me is paperwork which is, in short, pointless.
Reply 3
Do what you want.

Although if somebody's gone freed up two weeks for you...
I had to use some of my summer holiday for it, and a half term.
Reply 5
Grab it while you can, hospital work experience can be very hard to come by. (I got 3 days.)

You might not even mention how long you spent on your work experience on your PS anyway, in an effort to save characters!

As for GP work experience, do you or your family know any GPs personally? That's how I got proper experience, rather than just filling in paperwork.
Reply 6
Liar

So, ye go for the two weeks if you want, unless ofcourse if you have something else planned for the summer which you think would be more beneficial.

OP: I'd say there's only so much you can learn from shadowing and I'm tempted to say there isn't that much you're going to learn in two weeks that you haven't learnt in one. I'd take the two weeks but the same time you might have to accept the 2nd week will be a touch boring. I suppose it depends on what department you're going to be in. Also I hope your signature is sarcastic...

By the way, you do know that aside from old school orthopaedic surgeons, no one wears a white coat as a doctor now a days?
Reply 7
i think the best kind of work experience has to be one in a caring role. btw does being a volunteer helping in a hospital count as work experience?
Reply 8
Not really but it's experience that all medical schools want. Shadowing a doctor is not the only thing medical schools want to hear about! Volunteer work (especially in hospitals) is equally desirable. Especially since shadowing is typically for a week or two while volunteer work is usually a minimum commitment time of 6 months so it shows more dedication to it.
Reply 9
Meltdown30
Grab it while you can, hospital work experience can be very hard to come by. (I got 3 days.)

You might not even mention how long you spent on your work experience on your PS anyway, in an effort to save characters!

As for GP work experience, do you or your family know any GPs personally? That's how I got proper experience, rather than just filling in paperwork.

My Mum works at a GP surgeory (well it's for students) and she's a nurse there, and she said they don't allow people to do proper work experience, so I can't seem to find anything decent even with close links :frown:
Reply 10
Iscariot
By the way, you do know that aside from old school orthopaedic surgeons, no one wears a white coat as a doctor now a days?

I've been in and out of hospital long enough to know that. I'm not an idiot.
Don't go too harsh on him! I though the same thing about your signature too :redface: but then I guessed you probably didn't mean it literally, but rather meant being a doctor. :smile:
Reply 12
Ooops :s-smilie: I'll delete it to avoid any further confusion :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending