The Student Room Group

Did God or the Big Bang create the universe? (vague title)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeoxlong000
it's funny cos atheists get all riled up when a 'religionist' asks for evidence there ISN'T a God, as I said before, neither can disprove the other

I wouldn't say riled up, because asking someone to disprove a God is stupid. The burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I wouldn't say riled up, because asking someone to disprove a God is stupid. The burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim.

Yes stupid from your viewpoint, but perfectly reasonable outside of that. Neither side can disprove the other. A continued stalemate I'm afraid
The two are not exclusive. If the big bang theory is right then GOD would of made it happen in order to create the universe. The Big Bang theory can't of happened randomly because matter can not create itself.
Yes stupid from your viewpoint, but perfectly reasonable outside of that. Neither side can disprove the other. A continued stalemate I'm afraid

Religionists only usually say this when they know they can't provide evidence for God, that's the point. As I mentioned, there are infinite number of claims that cannot be disproven which is precisely why the burden of proof is such an integral and powerful tool. After all, in every other situation religionists would require just as much proof as anyone else (i.e. "I was raped by aliens", "I saw a mermaid in lake Lochness":wink:. It would be stupid for the person saying this to assert "you can't prove it isn't true so therefore it's plausible and merits serious consideration".
(edited 8 years ago)
Religionists only usually say this when they know they can't provide evidence for God, that's the point. As I mentioned, there are infinite number of claims that cannot be disproven which is precisely why the burden of proof is such an integral and powerful tool. After all, in every other situation religionists would require just as much proof as anyone else (i.e. "I was raped by aliens", "I saw a mermaid in lake Lochness":wink:. It would be stupid for the person saying this to assert "you can't prove it isn't true so therefore it's plausible and merits serious consideration".

just agree to disagree pal. With this current debate on TSR, atheists aren't going to convince religious people that God doesn't exist or vice versa. Good debate though
just agree to disagree pal. With this current debate on TSR, atheists aren't going to convince religious people that God doesn't exist or vice versa. Good debate though

Don't be so sure, there are people on here who have left their religion because of the debates and atheists' arguments.
Reply 266
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Lol how?! Nothing can come from nothing, yes I affirm that.

I also affirm that every that begins to exist has a cause.

Unless you can give me reason to think that God must have have a beginning, then the question 'where did God come from' holds little weight. He could just be eternal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So your argument is "Nothing can come from nothing, apart from God because I said so"

Nice one mate
Original post by sw651
So your argument is "Nothing can come from nothing, apart from God because I said so"

Nice one mate

You're assuming God came from non existence into existence.

why?

Or are you too proud to admit you don't actually have a reason for what you are saying, and are happy to assert it :giggle::console:
Don't be so sure, there are people on here who have left their religion because of the debates and atheists' arguments.

Okay buddy 😂
I thought the Big Bang theory was disproved.
Okay buddy 😂

Ask this on the ex-Muslim society if you don't believe me :lol:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I thought the Big Bang theory was disproved.

No...
Ask this on the ex-Muslim society if you don't believe me :lol:

I'm alright bro :u:
Reply 273
Original post by Slipandsquirm
You're assuming God came from non existence into existence.

why?

Or are you too proud to admit you don't actually have a reason for what you are saying, and are happy to assert it :giggle::console:

So why does the particle that exploded have to come from non-existence? Your argument has no substance
Hey,
I believe God created the universe!
Big bang is a bit unrealistic i.e. How can nothing form something or anything.. If it did, I think we would still be seeing things appear from nowhere. But we don't so... :h:
Original post by Sammy Munatsirei
Hey,
Big bang is a bit unrealistic i.e. How can nothing form something or anything.. If it did, I think we would still be seeing things appear from nowhere. But we don't so... :h:

No one says the Big Bang came from nothing so that's a strawman. And if something cannot come from nothing then what did God create the universe from?

Quite a number of members have left religion and become atheists while they were members of TSR. I was a Christian when I first joined TSR but now am an atheist. How much of an effect TSR debates had, it is difficult to say. But I believe they would probably be one of many factors that results in one changing their views and beliefs.

Hey,

Many religious people find the Big Bang realistic. But they believe God to be the cause behind the Big Bang. Seeing that you reject the Big Bang but accept God, the questions must arise as to how you actually believe the universe was created?
Original post by sw651

Nice one mate

they didn't say that :confused:

one poster said they believed God caused the big bang

you (quite reasonably) questioned how god got there

Slipandsquirm (the person you are quoted) pointed out that god may have always been there. Importantly, contrary to what you seem to think, they didn't argue this:

Original post by sw651
So why does the particle that exploded have to come from non-existence? Your argument has no substance

I believe you are attacking someone for an argument that they haven't made.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by Implication
they didn't say that :confused:

one poster said they believed God caused the big bang

you (quite reasonably) questioned how god got there

Slipandsquirm (the person you are quoted) pointed out that god may have always been there. Importantly, contrary to what you seem to think, they didn't argue this:

I believe you are attacking someone for an argument that they haven't made.

So you're basically an atheist who is siding on the religious people's side?
Reply 279
Hey,

Actually, that is not what the big bang theory proposes.

The God theory, on the other hand, may propose this should it be necessary to do so. Hence, your reasoning for not believing in the big bang is flawed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending