The Student Room Group

is fasting any good for weight loss?

I've done it for 2 days and feel weak!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DominiqueNelson

If you want a body like this, with horrible loose skin then go for it:

http://images.lifeandstylemag.com/uploads/posts/image/50534/plastic-surgeon-skin-removal-surgery-weight-loss.png?crop=top&fit=clip&h=500&w=698

Answers pretty obvious don't you think?
most people who fast do it for one day a week ? the other days they eat normally
Reply 4
Yes. But you're clearly doing it badly. What's best is intermittent fasting. Eat at dawn, eat at dusk. And DON'T SHORT ON WATER!
Yeah by restricting calorie intake you tend to loose weight. I don't know what you're actually doing, but a few of my friends have had lots of success on the 5 / 2 diet.

5 /2 is a little bit like fasting, 5 days a week you can eat normally and then 2 days a week restrict your calorie intake to 500. Then when you reach your target weight you can cut down to just 1 day a week to maintain.
Exercising with a balanced healthy diet is the best way to lose weight, without messing your body up.
Caloric deficiency is pretty unhealthy for your body, here's a helpful link.
Reply 7
I don't get people who think it's a good idea to not eat. Your body survives on food, how is it supposed to function if you're not giving it anything? What happens to a car if it runs out of fuel? It stops working. The same thing will happen your body. If anything just eat less than what you already eat and / or exercise more.
Original post by mos182
Your body survives on food, how is it supposed to function if you're not giving it anything? What happens to a car if it runs out of fuel? It stops working. The same thing will happen your body.

Not quite. Your body carries on surviving by mobilising stored bodyfat and using it as an energy source, hence you lose weight.

I wouldn't be doing extreme dieting though, Dominique. It's not sustainable long term, so you'll just end up going back to old habits and returning to your old shape. Intermittent fasting is fine and actually has a nice number of health benefits according to research, but it has to be controlled. You can have eating "windows" i.e. fasting for 16 hours a day and eating for 8 hours, which will limit how much food you can fit in; or you can try 5:2 style in which you drop down to 500 calories on 2 set non-consecutive days of the week. Googling Intermittent Fasting will give you a number of options, all easy to understand and implement :smile:

Which you choose is up to you, they all work by reducing total caloric intake and they're all sustainable so you can maintain your weight once you're happy with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
There is absolutely no need to be so extreme with weight loss. Fasting like that will just make you feel weak and you'll be more likely to binge so you're unlikely to keep up with it or lose weight.

If you want to lose weight find out your tdee, eat 500 calories less a day and you'll lose about 1lb a week regardless of what types of food you eat. Like others have said intermittent fasting is also an option because it's not as extreme, some people like it but others find it hard.
Weight loss = caloric deficit, the easiest way to achieve this is a combination of exercise and reducing calories, go to IIFYM.COM and calculate your TDEE then eat 500-1000 less cals than this to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Some people do 'intermittent fasting' where they eat all their calories in a small time window like 6 hours and that's fine, but fasting as in never eating anything for days/weeks on end is completely stupid and unhealthy and will just lead to malnutrition and an eating disorder.
I'm sorry guys I know its stupid..i just really hate myself right now :frown:
Have you heard of intermittent fasting? Ive been doing it for like a month and seeing reat results so far :smile:
I can fast for about a week at a time and do it regularly, but always have put on all the weight back after I finished. I find it to be good for some things, but weight loss isn't one of them.
Original post by Anonymous
Have you heard of intermittent fasting? Ive been doing it for like a month and seeing reat results so far :smile:

No, I haven't actually. What is it? 😌
Original post by WoodyMKC
Not quite. Your body carries on surviving by mobilising stored bodyfat and using it as an energy source, hence you lose weight.

I wouldn't be doing extreme dieting though, Dominique. It's not sustainable long term, so you'll just end up going back to old habits and returning to your old shape. Intermittent fasting is fine and actually has a nice number of health benefits according to research, but it has to be controlled. You can have eating "windows" i.e. fasting for 16 hours a day and eating for 8 hours, which will limit how much food you can fit in; or you can try 5:2 style in which you drop down to 500 calories on 2 set non-consecutive days of the week. Googling Intermittent Fasting will give you a number of options, all easy to understand and implement :smile:

Which you choose is up to you, they all work by reducing total caloric intake and they're all sustainable so you can maintain your weight once you're happy with it.

But if you're insulin resistant, as a lot of the seriously fat people are, you can very well die of starvation even with massive amounts of body fat.
Original post by TorpidPhil
But if you're insulin resistant, as a lot of the seriously fat people are, you can very well die of starvation even with massive amounts of body fat.

Of course mate, whenever we're talking about exercise and dieting though we're generally talking about a healthy person, obviously if you have a health condition then the rules can change as to what's advisable.

no you will slow down the rate of your metabolism meaning increased weight gain when you eventually start to eat again.

Also you are basically starving your body of any nutrients meaning you are slowly killing yourself.

If you really wanted to lose weight then healthy eating and exercise are the only long term and safe ways to do so
No, I haven't actually. What is it? 😌

Search the definition of intermittent.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Of course mate, whenever we're talking about exercise and dieting though we're generally talking about a healthy person, obviously if you have a health condition then the rules can change as to what's advisable.

But the point i'm trying to make is that insulin resistance isn't something you are born with. You acquire it due to your dietary choices.

Quick Reply

Latest