The Student Room Group

English degree (Spain) and work opportunities in the UK

Hello, I am studying English as a degree at a Spanish university. The degree lasts for five years and then I am planning to go and live in the UK for some years to settle down all what I will have learned and improve my English (as well as I am doing every summer, go and live in London for some months to improve my English).

My question is, what sort of jobs could I do in the UK taking into account that I can speak four languages (hopefully one or two more by then) - Spanish, Catalan, English and French.

I am thinking of studying economics after that, but I am not totally sure.
Well the obvious ones are teaching and translation work.
Reply 2
I wouldn't be interested in teaching, what if I mixed that degree with Economics?
sergioib
I wouldn't be interested in teaching, what if I mixed that degree with Economics?

I guess that would give you more opportunities, but you are entering a job market where your qualifications are unfamiliar and you won't have any decent amount of experience. Using your skills is probably going to be important for you and your fluency in languages is one of them. Have you ever thought about entering your nation's civil service (you can get postings to the embassy here in London) or for the EU?
Reply 4
Yes, I have thought about that but I think they ask you to know very well a highly amount of languages, and I am not sure I will know so many.

One of my dreams, in fact, is working in Canary Wharf. Maybe I could work as a translator for someone there or just doing accounting work. As for the experience, I need to get a job to get experience, but I just hope that first job does not ask for experience, some job must be the first one in giving me experience!
Reply 5
I know of some really big companies (BP and the like) that would have your arm off and put you straight onto a fast track programme for being able to speak 2 or more European languages.
That is, if you could speak 2 or more European languages and had a degree in engineering. I suspect that you could find similar opportunities in general office positions (HR or whatever) in companies like that outside of technical roles.
Reply 6
What does HR stand for?
Reply 7
sergioib
What does HR stand for?

Human Resources.

Latest

Trending

Trending