The Student Room Group

Any British people care about Israel-Palestine?

Scroll to see replies

I used to but then i realised i couldnt do anything about it so i stopped caring.
Original post by william walker
But what does it matter? What does it achieve? What does it do?

Because it affects the injustice, greed, and tyranny of others, and most importantly helping another living being. It could happen to anyone, and those who are born into areas/times of conflict did not choose to be born there, they deserve a peaceful life just as much as anyone else.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln (solid dude).
Original post by TheLoneArab
I used to but then i realised i couldnt do anything about it so i stopped caring.

Jolly good then.
Reply 23
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I care because I'm generally interested in the ME and the conflict is one of the longest and most complex modern-day conflicts, hence most interesting.

I can't see a more complex conflict.

During my BA, I had a course on the Israelo-Palestinian conflict. The prof had to start in 1200BC...
I really don't care. But it's great goading cliched left wingers who support Palestinians for no other reason than because Israel is a friend of the west
I care about both regions.

They are complex issues and a lot of people who argue about it on the internet don't really understand them they are just immature and want to argue and throw terms around like terrorist sympathiser, anti-semite and so on.

On Northern Ireland....it's got a lot better than it was when I was growing up and is a good example of how you can make progress when you get terrorists who are willing to stop an armed campaign and representatives on both sides who are willing to work together for a compromised solution and not give in to the fringes on either side who have a vested interest in prolonging the conflict. But Northern Ireland is still not fully healed and there are still issues.

What annoys me sometimes regarding Northern Ireland is there are Brits who patronise the Northern Irish. Often it's the same Brits who make a big deal about "I am a British patriot" and how much they support the military, oppose immigration and so on but then they have a list of parts of Britain that they like to make fun of, eg Wales, Scotland, Liverpool, the north east and Northern Ireland. If you like Britain so much then you should be positive about all parts of Britain.
I care about the survival of Israel.
Original post by balanced
I don't really care too much, but I believe the Jews deserve the land, they had a tough time after WW2 and are struggling to live in western cultures today with the threat from islamist extremists etc.

Even if it means killing their way through the current inhabitants in order to seize land that is not theirs?

Palestine belongs to, I don't know, Palestinian maybe?
Original post by Josb
I can't see a more complex conflict.

During my BA, I had a course on the Israelo-Palestinian conflict. The prof had to start in 1200BC...

What course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't care about Israel Palestine to be honest. I don't care about Ulster since the conflict in Ireland/Northern Ireland isn't a full on conflict and people aren't being killed every day there. I care a bit about Syria, especially the Christians who are suffering there at the hands of ISIS and the other terrorist groups.

Honestly, I care more about local news (London) and business news (financial markets), not international conflicts. I find thinking about all these wars a bit depressing and stupid. This was probably why my worst GCSE grade was in history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Give Ulster back to the Irish ffs
Reply 31
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Even if it means killing their way through the current inhabitants in order to seize land that is not theirs?

Palestine belongs to, I don't know, Palestinian maybe?

The first Jews that came to Palestine actually bought their lands (the Rothschilds funded the enterprise), or settled in empty ones (Palestine was not a welcoming place, with swamps in the north and desert in the south, which they transformed into arable lands). Many Arabs (up to 130,000) also came to Palestine to work in these Jewish farms, so also built houses there.

Then, after Israel had been created in 1948, most land seizures and deportations happened during the conflict Arabs had started. Palestinians wouldn't have had to go into exile if they hadn't started the war.

The only thing that you can really blame Israel for is the ongoing colonization of the West Bank, that has destroyed any hope of a peaceful end of the conflict.

Original post by NaTaLiiA513
What course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?

It was a BA in History.
Original post by william walker
So do you care about the East Prussians who had their land and homes stolen from them by the Russians? Does anyone even care about that? I don't see any protesting or campaigning to get the Prussians their land and homes back.

Yes, very current.
Original post by balanced
I don't really care too much, but I believe the Jews deserve the land, they had a tough time after WW2 and are struggling to live in western cultures today with the threat from islamist extremists etc.

Woah, woah, woah. To be factual, before the 1900s, the population of Israel-Palestine was predominantly Muslim and even after that until the late 1900s. The only places where Jews were a majority were in Semien in Ethiopia and parts of Jerusalem. So, I think they should be given their portion of Jerusalem like Vatican City.
Don't care as long as Israel gets the diversity it needs.
Reply 35
I must admit I've never cared a damn about Ulster so the op perhaps has a point.

But then I can't honestly say I care about Israeli/Palestinian problem either.

However I have reads books on the latter as I find it quite interesting.

The Irish problem has always bored me senseless.
Original post by moggis
I must admit I've never cared a damn about Ulster so the op perhaps has a point.

But then I can't honestly say I care about Israeli/Palestinian problem either.

However I have reads books on the latter as I find it quite interesting.

The Irish problem has always bored me senseless.

It isn't an Irish problem. It is a Loyalist problem. The problem being the Loyalist want power and will murder anyone who attempts to crush them.
the palestine issue is huge here in the UK - not to many or most, but it's one of those supremely key issues. Globally it ranks as probably one of the most pertinent issues.

Israel/zionism, we're coming from you - we who believe in human rights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
I really don't care. But it's great goading cliched left wingers who support Palestinians for no other reason than because Israel is a friend of the west

But you seem to care awfully a lot about any iran's supposed human rights violations - yet turn a blind eye to Israel's illegal siege on gaza, building of settlements pushing away the palestinians and replacing them with settlers , and using chemical weapons and breaking international norms and commiting war crimes for decades upon decades slaughtering tens of thousands?

I suppose the reason why people care about the palestinian cause has nothing to do with that, it's just about the relationship and friendliness to the west...

Unbelievable. Muslims who you try to turn against me with the secterianism you're attemping here on TSR better get a sight of some of the things you're posting.
Israel and Palestine is an issue I really should know more about and read up more on but I just never seem to have the time.

As for Ulster/Northern Ireland, I completely support a united Republic of Ireland free from England/Britain, and free from the Crown.

Syria, I honestly just think we'll make the situation worse, the plan put to the Commons is flimsy as hell, and I think it will in the long run make the target on us larger than it already is, not that it isn't large as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending