The Student Room Group

Law Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by etho4
Just wanted to ask - is there any point doing Law in a university that is ranked below #15 on law uni rankings?

I'm talking Birmingham, Leeds, Sussex territory
I'd like to to Law but it seems as if everyone in this thread is an elite 3 A* earning, daughter/son of barrister
At most I'd be able to get ABB/AAB

Should I just look at other courses?

Yes, definitely go for it if Law is the course you want to do. I would also suggest having a look at Cardiff which is an excellent Law School, brilliant City for students and usually ask for AAB (or ABB for Law with something else) - they pretty much guarantee an offer if you're predicted at least BBB
OFFER FOR LAW AT DURHAM

So happy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Offer for Law from Durham! WOOO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wildhippogriff
OFFER FOR LAW AT DURHAM

So happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done!! When did you apply/do LNAT and what are your grades/predictions??
Original post by joejoe422
Congratulations!! When did you apply/do LNAT and what are your grades/predictions?

I did my LNAT on the 17th October. My predictions are A* A* A* A A (5Alevels) :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do Durham give out offers in batches?
Original post by papertown
Do Durham give out offers in batches?

Seems like they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just recieved an email from QMUL congratulating me on my offer & inviting me to an offer holder day. Yet when I go on UCAS, it says they're still considering my application &I I have yet to receive an email about actually getting an offer?????? Any help because I'm so confused!!!!!
Original post by etho4
Just wanted to ask - is there any point doing Law in a university that is ranked below #15 on law uni rankings?

I'm talking Birmingham, Leeds, Sussex territory
I'd like to to Law but it seems as if everyone in this thread is an elite 3 A* earning, daughter/son of barrister
At most I'd be able to get ABB/AAB

Should I just look at other courses?

I'm not elite, but I'm still predicted 3 A*s. I go to the local comp. My Dad left school with one GCSE, my Mum had to drop out of university in her first term because she couldn't afford food. What a ridiculous assumption to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by etho4

I'd like to to Law but it seems as if everyone in this thread is ... daughter/son of barrister

Which doesn't impress any University since aptitude for Law is not based on genetics.

Law depts want to recruit those from all backgrounds - because they know that many of those from 'elite' backgrounds have a very limited grasp of the reality of ordinary people's lives. And btw, you don't always need AAA to read Law.
I got 3A* B this summer, currently at uni (uni of birmigham) but want to change course to law at end of first year to start again, mainly aiming at internal transfer but have been told its not guaranteed and so I'm making another UCAS application as back up, applying to warwick and lse, but not sure whether to do the lnat to apply to nottingham and kings, since there's the possibility that I will be staying at my uni and so it would be a waste of money to do it,
Original post by Oshoko
I got 3A* B this summer, currently at uni (uni of birmigham) but want to change course to law at end of first year to start again, mainly aiming at internal transfer but have been told its not guaranteed and so I'm making another UCAS application as back up, applying to warwick and lse, but not sure whether to do the lnat to apply to nottingham and kings, since there's the possibility that I will be staying at my uni and so it would be a waste of money to do it,

You really need to work out what you want to do before you switch courses/Unis.. Do you want to stay where you are? Which subject are you really interested in? (Why? Think carefully). It might be worth taking a year out to think clearly about this rather than rushing about trying to beat the Jan deadline.

You can only do an 'internal transfer' at the Uni you are at now - and any decision is entirely up to them. For any other Uni you will need to apply through UCAS (and if needed take LNAT asap) with a reference from your current Uni. Your PS will be crucial - and without any relevant work experience your application is unlikely to be successful. You will have to start Law from year 1 - you cannot transfer into year 2 from another degree subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
You really need to work out what you want to do before you switch courses/Unis.. Do you want to stay where you are? Which subject are you really interested in? (Why? Think carefully). It might be worth taking a year out to think clearly about this rather than rushing about trying to beat the Jan deadline.

You can only do an 'internal transfer' at the Uni you are at now - and any decision is entirely up to them. For any other Uni you will need to apply through UCAS (and if needed take LNAT asap) with a reference from your current Uni. Your PS will be crucial - and without any relevant work experience your application is unlikely to be successful. You will have to start Law from year 1 - you cannot transfer into year 2 from another degree subject.

I'm aware that the internal transfer is only at my uni, I've already contacted them, it's not a hasty decision but one that I have been deliberating since results day, I was very much close to changing after the first week of uni but left it to late and missed the deadline.

I already have a reference lined up from my old sixth form and have basically finished the ps, yes I don't have much law specific work experience to talk about but the ps is to show the desire to study law and i believe I've linked enough past experiences to show that. We're already on holiday so I plan to sit in the local public gallery for a couple of cases to talk about in ps
Is it odd that I sent my application off 2 and a half weeks ago &I haven't heard anything from anyone? (My LNAT is Thursday so 2 of my unis I'm obviously not expecting to hear back from yet)
Applied to: Kings, QMUL, Bristol, Warwick &Exeter
My AS grades are: AAB
My A2 predictions are: A*A*A
I had a really good PS & reference (also, had loads of extra curricular)
I'm not expecting all offers but I was at least expecting something? Any help?
Original post by Celynsummers
Is it odd that I sent my application off 2 and a half weeks ago &I haven't heard anything from anyone? (My LNAT is Thursday so 2 of my unis I'm obviously not expecting to hear back from yet)
Applied to: Kings, QMUL, Bristol, Warwick &Exeter
My AS grades are: AAB
My A2 predictions are: A*A*A
I had a really good PS & reference (also, had loads of extra curricular)
I'm not expecting all offers but I was at least expecting something? Any help?

I waited a month before receiving my first offer (applied sept 20th), so I don't think it's odd at all! Don't worry!
Original post by thirdcultureteen
I waited a month before receiving my first offer (applied sept 20th), so I don't think it's odd at all! Don't worry!

Thank you!
Anyone received an update from King's ? I wonder when they'll start sending out offers.
Hmmm... have any October applicants heard back from UCL Law?
Original post by roarchika

Got an offer yesterday, applied 12th october
Original post by roarchika

I applied sept 20th but I think any applications that were submitted before the day LNAT results were released start being considered on the same day. Got an offer two weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending