The Student Room Group

The Offical Air Traffic Control Thread !!

Welcome to the Offical Air Traffic Control Thread !!!!

This is a thread deadicated to Air Traffic Control After reading the threads about Air traffic there seems to be some confusion about the requirments for Miitary and civilian .

This Thread will keep people who want to join NATS or the RAF / Royal Navy informed about the Laestest requirments for joining , News , Training ETC

Ive Spoke to a lot of controllers and they have said that Air Traffic Control will experiance a few changes in the furture . and they all say its a very demanding job to do

Thanks

Hazzer1998 ( Wannable ATC , RAF )

Any Question ? Contact Me or @0902 or @AlphaTango
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Royal Air Force
( SNCO Air Traffic Controller )

Role

Spoiler

Spoiler

Requirements

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
If it helps, I'm currently employed as an Air Traffic Control Assistant in Civil Aviation (Non-NATS) so if there's any queries or questions I can help answer, please ask.
Original post by 0902
If it helps, I'm currently employed as an Air Traffic Control Assistant in Civil Aviation (Non-NATS) so if there's any queries or questions I can help answer, please ask.
Thanks , Your help would be great ! i will change the OP Post so if they have any questions they can contact you
Original post by hazzer1998
Thanks , Your help would be great ! i will change the OP Post so if they have any questions they can contact you

Oh blimey, thank you. Sorry I didn't mean to interfere in your thread, but thank you :-)
I've been in a few private aircraft and listened to the conversations between my pilot and ATC as well as other aircraft. It may just be me but I was surprised at how poor quality the connection was. Is this just the case with small aircraft with less desirable radio systems?

I should imagine once you're familiar with the ATC jargon it would be easier to understand. Just at the time i was quite surprised that i could skype my relatives at the other side of the world and get a clearer connection.

As a side note, i did my work experience (while at school) at a local airfield and got to work on the radios there. (Good Fun!) The person supervising me was quick to take over me though when a pilot stated that he was landing with a problem with the landing gear!
Original post by 0902
Oh blimey, thank you. Sorry I didn't mean to interfere in your thread, but thank you :-)

No worries :smile:
Original post by Bern Herkins
I've been in a few private aircraft and listened to the conversations between my pilot and ATC as well as other aircraft. It may just be me but I was surprised at how poor quality the connection was. Is this just the case with small aircraft with less desirable radio systems?

I should imagine once you're familiar with the ATC jargon it would be easier to understand. Just at the time i was quite surprised that i could skype my relatives at the other side of the world and get a clearer connection.

As a side note, i did my work experience (while at school) at a local airfield and got to work on the radios there. (Good Fun!) The person supervising me was quick to take over me though when a pilot stated that he was landing with a problem with the landing gear!
I Have a Airband Radio and where i am in the coutry i can get exter , cardiff , london gatwick ,. cherborug airport ( france ) , Belfast city and international , and southhamption and on some of the frequecnies the reception is bad ! the only good reception is from exter . it takes a while to learn the jardon

Pilot - " F-RA Faircity tower , holding point runway 23 , ready for departure "
ATC - " F-RA , Line up runway 23 and wait "
Pilot - " Line-up runway 23 and wait , F-RA "
ATC - " F-RA .Runway 23 cleared for take off , wind 110 degrees , 8 knots "
Pilot " Runway 23 . cleared for take off , F-RA"
Original post by hazzer1998
I Have a Airband Radio and where i am in the coutry i can get exter , cardiff , london gatwick ,. cherborug airport ( france ) , Belfast city and international , and southhamption and on some of the frequecnies the reception is bad ! the only good reception is from exter . it takes a while to learn the jardon

Pilot - " F-RA Faircity tower , holding point runway 23 , ready for departure "
ATC - " F-RA , Line up runway 23 and wait "
Pilot - " Line-up runway 23 and wait , F-RA "
ATC - " F-RA .Runway 23 cleared for take off , wind 110 degrees , 8 knots "
Pilot " Runway 23 . cleared for take off , F-RA"

What model radio do you have? / recommend?

Ive just had a quick look and they seem pretty pricey. Perhaps i will get a second hand one.
Reply 9
ATCs get £34k after training?? I need to re-trade!
Original post by Kane-10

You should see what they get on Civi street :wink:
What model radio do you have? / recommend?

Ive just had a quick look and they seem pretty pricey. Perhaps i will get a second hand one.

I had Moonraker M8 Radio ( Crap it broke within 24 hours on me getting it ) it was £29.99 so I brought a moonraker m10 ( fantastic, £49.99 ) great little radio
Google CAP413 and download a copy - it'll make it all a lot clearer for you! :wink:
I'm RAF Air Traffic, if anyone has any specific questions feel free to quote this post and i'll try to reply.
Original post by Kane-10

They are massively struggling to recruit people / everyone keeps failing selection & training if you fancy it!

That and everyone is leaving for serious money in Civvi street as controllers, airfield managers, flight safety investigators etc or insane money in Middle East if they can manage it.
Reply 15
Original post by AlphaTango
They are massively struggling to recruit people / everyone keeps failing selection & training if you fancy it!

That and everyone is leaving for serious money in Civvi street as controllers, airfield managers, flight safety investigators etc or insane money in Middle East if they can manage it.

I'm still in Phase 2 training to be a scopie. I looked at Weapon Tech before and it may be something to look at but I guess I better actually give ASOp a go before doing anything.
I'm RAF Air Traffic, if anyone has any specific questions feel free to quote this post and i'll try to reply.

Great !!! Thank you ! I will also add you to the OP !
I have a few questions
- Is Trade Training hard ?
- How often do you get posted ?
- Is it Fun ?
- What's the worst and Best part of your job ?
- Are you officer or Sgt ?

One of our controllers (ex RAF) is shortly leaving for Doha, mega mega bucks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Light Aircraft communication systems are good, however some variants do suffer with transmissions.

For Skype, there are far more satellites than there are for Aviation buzzing around the Earth, thus why you probably had a good connection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest