The Student Room Group

Can I get into havard,Yale,Princeton, or MIT?

I am currently in year 11 and seriously want to study in the US. I think I will achieve two A* and 8 A's at GCSE. I am studying further maths, maths, chemistry, and physics and a level. I am also a talented footballer in addition to this. Do I stand any chance?
Hi!
So I'm currently in my last year of the IB in Singapore, and was accepted to Harvard for the class of 2020, so I have a bit of an idea on what it takes. Grades wise, the US uni's (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, and similar) are looking for similar grades to what Oxbridge would want. However, unlike the UK, the US Uni's view your application holistically, so your extracurriculars and other things outside academics are also very, very, important. If you want any other info, just let me know.
Original post by Calg_
I am currently in year 11 and seriously want to study in the US. I think I will achieve two A* and 8 A's at GCSE. I am studying further maths, maths, chemistry, and physics and a level. I am also a talented footballer in addition to this. Do I stand any chance?

It would be a long shot with those grades, to be honest. The schools that you've listed are even more difficult to get into than Oxbridge and the acceptance rate for international students is incredibly low. You would be competing with people who have more or less perfect grades and SAT scores, and I'm not sure that being a talented footballer would compensate for that.

, what do you think?
Original post by Hydeman
It would be a long shot with those grades, to be honest. The schools that you've listed are even more difficult to get into than Oxbridge and the acceptance rate for international students is incredibly low. You would be competing with people who have more or less perfect grades and SAT scores, and I'm not sure that being a talented footballer would compensate for that.

@NYU2012, what do you think?

If you get recruited, its a different story.
Reply 4
What are your SAT scores and gpa? Do an acceptance calculator and look up the averages scores.
(edited 8 years ago)
If they want you for the team, you might have a chance, but maybe look at somewhat lower ranked schools. Need to sit SATs though. Otherwise forget it: would need mostly A*s.
At the end the biggest obstacle will be to finance the degree. The university who give out full sports scholarships tend not to be in the Ivy League, but that does not mean, they are not excellant ones between those. As long as you have the grades (who need to be perfect, but not that perfect) and some other stuff to add on, you can always try. Just choose your universities wisely, apply to more than just the Ivys and then just see what happens.
If you want schools that are good academically and give athletic scholarships, a few are Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Rice, USC, Washington St. Louis, and Duke. Catholic: Notre Dame and Georgetown. State: Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, California Berkeley, and UCLA.

You have to be good enough to play division I though. If they want you for the team, As and a few A*s should be good enough for some of them academically if you get similar scores on US tests.
If you are the level to play Division I, you probably can get a scholarship at somewhere more competitive than you could get into in Britain. The academic standards are much lower for recruited athletes, and they may not be that concerned with ECs, as you already have a big one. Ivies are probably not practical though, and MIT doesn't care much about athletics.
I think it will be possible but a stretch. I would say it completely depends on what the definition of "talented" is here with respect to your sporting ability.

Bear in mind that US universities are on the whole a significant extra level of competitiveness above a UK equivalent.

Source: years and years of painful research.
I applied to Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Yale, and Princeton. Quite a journey I must say, not to mention the expenses. Heres the grades and things I had ----> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2759957

I ended up with an A*A*A in A-levels. Even after all these things I did not get accepted, I got waitlisted at MIT but rejected from the rest. So, it's good to have high hopes but make sure that you do your absolute level best.

Good luck, ask me anything else you want to know about the process.
That is a long shot, but since you're still doing GCSE it's possible if you REALLY pull through during A Levels. You'd need exceptional grades and extra-curriculars, plus a substantial SAT/ACT score. Grades at GCSE don't matter that much, but don't get anything below an A, grades at A Level matter MUCH more, you need grades of atleast AAA in A2, and atleast AAAA in AS. Secondly, extra-curriculars, american unis look for this a lot, do some community volunteering, join clubs, join sports teams, participate in competitions and take some leadership roles (in school or otherwise). To top it all off you'd need a really high SAT or ACT score, so basically nothing below 2200 in the old SAT format, since the SAT has changed recently you'd need 1500+ in the new format. That is a really tough to-do list, but it's definitely possible.

Original post by Calg_

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending